Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

WinnieIsFree

Why does Ariana still feel like a flash in the pan?

Sure, Miss Ari has had some success and some cute hits but that’s literally it. She’s five albums in and it still feels like she’s trend hopping and chasing the current sound for a hit rip4 Not to mention a large portion of her success is very contrived and manufactured. 
Sweetener flopped hard despite being her supposed anticipated comeback, and Thank U Next only “smashed” because it piggybacked on some tragedies happening in her life. The era barely lasted and was very front-loadedari1

After that every song she was on flopped, see don’t Call Me Angel and Boyfriend. It wasn’t m until she hopped onto bigger artists tracks and heavily used payola and chart manipulation to get number ones that fell out the top 10 in the second week bey8

In my opinion she has yet to cement herself as a artist and will not be remembered. If she were to retire today nobody would be bopping along to her supposed classics, Side to Side, Bang Bang, Break Free, 7 rings, in 20 years. I would say she is the biggest industry plant of all time and truly a failed copy of Mariah carla1

she's arguably the female popstar of the past half decade, so she's definitely not a flash in the pan.

HOWEVER, I don't think she has the star power/presence that the other pop girls had at their peaks. TUN will probably be her most memorable era, but it doesn't come close to eras like TFM, 1989, Teenage Dream, Baby One More Time, 21, etc. Let's see what she does next.  

genuinely think her live performance skills are hindering her from really pushing to the next level of iconic status tbh...all of the MPGs have had some pretty legendary and memorable performances, but ariana's while good don't really seem electrifying in the way some others did

4 minutes ago, BreatheeOnKnee said:

True also i can't with people comparing her vocals to the likes of Mariah or even Beyonce. Vocally and success wise she's like the Mya of this generation, if you don't remember or know who that is my point has been made brit16

Girl lets take a step back. I don't care for Ariana but vocally she could teach Beyonce a thing or two about singing. And Beyonce could teach Ariana a thing or two about stage presence, performing, and showmanship. Let's give credit where credit is due. 

Ariana has clearly trained for years and studied the greats. I don't know if it's because she wants success so bad that she is doing whatever is trendy or surefire hits. When she popped onto the scene all her songs (except the very first one The Way or something with Mac Miller) were all dance songs- most all written and produced by hit giant Max Martin. She failed to land a #1 hit. Then when Max Martin went with that Persian-Swedish songwriter/producer who was going for that percussion trumpet (back to basics) sound, Ilya I think his name is, she hopped on that. 

Then when this influx of rnb crooner sound started coming back thanks to Drake, Jhene Aioko, Summer Walker, etc. She jumped on that too. 

I don't sense anything genuine from her music and honestly I think it's because she has no vision of her own. 

22 minutes ago, BreatheeOnKnee said:

True also i can't with people comparing her vocals to the likes of Mariah or even Beyonce. Vocally and success wise she's like the Mya of this generation, if you don't remember or know who that is my point has been made brit16

She lowkey sounds better than Moo dead2

I mean laughcry1 That's up to you if you feel like she's a flash in the pan. Certainly not everyone thinks that and your reasoning is your own. No one can really be for certain how her hits will last.

28 minutes ago, BreatheeOnKnee said:

Was Mya's relevancy even 7 years long, tho? dead2 Ari has already outdone Mya tbh

5 minutes ago, STJ said:

Depends on how or when you're comparing. She doesn't really sound better (or worse) than Mariah if we're comparing 7 years into their careers. Although that's also dependent on your preference. 

9 minutes ago, STJ said:

Girl.... No.

I get preference. But Mariah fucking Carey is a master singer. She is not the greatest, but she is probably the best mainstream pop singer the US has ever had. 

Her mastery of R&B puts Ariana's attempts to shame. Very few can touch what Mariah has done vocally. 

6 minutes ago, melomelo said:

Girl lets take a step back. I don't care for Ariana but vocally she could teach Beyonce a thing or two about singing. And Beyonce could teach Ariana a thing or two about stage presence, performing, and showmanship. Let's give credit where credit is due. 

Ariana has clearly trained for years and studied the greats. I don't know if it's because she wants success so bad that she is doing whatever is trendy or surefire hits. When she popped onto the scene all her songs (except the very first one The Way or something with Mac Miller) were all dance songs- most all written and produced by hit giant Max Martin. She failed to land a #1 hit. Then when Max Martin went with that Persian-Swedish songwriter/producer who was going for that percussion trumpet (back to basics) sound, Ilya I think his name is, she hopped on that. 

Then when this influx of rnb crooner sound started coming back thanks to Drake, Jhene Aioko, Summer Walker, etc. She jumped on that too. 

I don't sense anything genuine from her music and honestly I think it's because she has no vision of her own. 

gaga6 I disagree. I'm not doubting Ariana can sing, as could Mya. But her vocals are extremely overrated by the gp and her stans, out of the main pop girls within the past 5-10 years she's probably the best but that's not saying much when her competition is Selena, Katy, Taylor etc. 

You can't tell me this sounds as decent as Bey.

Her voice often sounds nasally and weak when singing bigger songs. Most of her discography doesn't go to these limits. I mean yeah by today's standards she's not bad at all but people are really reaching putting her up there with the divas

16 minutes ago, melomelo said:

Alright no... I gotta address this one.

If you REALLY think Ariana can teach Beyoncé something about singing you really must not know anything about vocal technique.

If you can't recognize just how excellent this woman's technique and vocal abilties are then I don't know what to tell you. All Ariana has over her is a wider range.

Anyways, on the topic of Ariana feeling like a flash in the pan well... No, not really?

She's kept herself relevant long enough in an era where people's attention spans are so short. She might not have reached the iconic status of past it girls, but she's only been improving herself. And I say this as a non-fan.

She's been stepping it up every era in terms of songwriting, production, visuals and to a lesser extent vocals. Things will fall into place sooner or later and her place will be undeniable imo

23 minutes ago, melomelo said:

Girl lets take a step back. I don't care for Ariana but vocally she could teach Beyonce a thing or two about singing.

Why am i not surprised that this comes from you rip4 

5 minutes ago, BreatheeOnKnee said:

gaga6 I disagree. I'm not doubting Ariana can sing, as could Mya. But her vocals are extremely overrated by the gp and her stans, out of the main pop girls within the past 5-10 years she's probably the best but that's not saying much when her competition is Selena, Katy, Taylor etc. 

Her voice often sounds nasally and weak when singing bigger songs. Most of her discography doesn't go to these limits. I mean yeah by today's standards she's not bad at all but people are really reaching putting her up there with the divas

Ariana's vocals have improved a lot over time, here's a better version of I have nothing:

You're overpraising beyonce... she can't sing the big soulful ballads either dead2 She got dragged by Etta James for this messy cover and rightfully so, her belts sounded forced and strained:

3 minutes ago, BreatheeOnKnee said:

After decades of alcoholism and aging maybe but age 26 mariah would mop the floor with age 26 Ariana

Mariah is the master of transitions, it's very clean. But ariana has her own strong points... she is comparable to Mariah sass1

5 minutes ago, BreatheeOnKnee said:

2 minutes ago, BreatheeOnKnee said:

After decades of alcoholism and aging maybe but age 26 mariah would mop the floor with age 26 Ariana

Oh I agree 100% with you. Ariana isn't some singing prodigy. She is just very well trained. I'm no expert but I have met singers who can outsing her and they are background vocalists by profession. They have critiqued her for the same things you have mentioned. She is nasally, she strains, she doesn't articulate properly, all that. However, they have also said she is very well trained and has studied singing well enough that she can mimic techniques and styles very well.

1 minute ago, Strobo said:

Alright no... I gotta address this one.

If you REALLY think Ariana can teach Beyoncé something about singing you really must not know anything about vocal technique.

If you can't recognize just how excellent this woman's technique and vocal abilties are then I don't know what to tell you. All Ariana has over her is a wider range.

Anyways, on the topic of Ariana feeling like a flash in the pan well... No, not really?

She's kept herself relevant long enough in an era where people's attention spans are so short. She might not have reached the iconic status of past it girls, but she's only been improving herself. And I say this as a non-fan.

She's been stepping it up every era in terms of songwriting, production, visuals and to a lesser extent vocals. Things will fall into place sooner or later and her place will be undeniable imo

Beyonce is not a top notch vocalist. I am not referring to her range. Beyonce is a great singer but she isn't in the same league as Whitney, Mariah, Christina, Celine, Aretha, Patti. All those women eat her alive. 

Beyonce would croak trying to pull off a Mariah Carey song just from trying to do her transitions and vocal gymnastics. While Ariana would also not be as good she'd have a much better time than Beyonce covering a Mariah or say Celine song. But this is more due to voice type. Ariana's voice is more agile than Beyonce's.

2 minutes ago, melomelo said:

Beyonce is not a top notch vocalist. I am not referring to her range. Beyonce is a great singer but she isn't in the same league as Whitney, Mariah, Christina, Celine, Aretha, Patti. All those women eat her alive. 

Beyonce would croak trying to pull off a Mariah Carey song just from trying to do her transitions and vocal gymnastics. While Ariana would also not be as good she'd have a much better time than Beyonce covering a Mariah or say Celine song. But this is more due to voice type. Ariana's voice is more agile than Beyonce's.

Preach sis tenor.gif?itemid=4964294

Would a Music major lie? 

2 hours ago, Merryem said:

genuinely think her live performance skills are hindering her from really pushing to the next level of iconic status tbh...all of the MPGs have had some pretty legendary and memorable performances, but ariana's while good don't really seem electrifying in the way some others did

THIS. Her performances have never been truly iconic. The only "iconic" performances she had were that Focus performance at AMAs and her Tattooed Heart performance which was also at the AMAs.

8 minutes ago, melomelo said:

Oh I agree 100% with you. Ariana isn't some singing prodigy. She is just very well trained. I'm no expert but I have met singers who can outsing her and they are background vocalists by profession. They have critiqued her for the same things you have mentioned. She is nasally, she strains, she doesn't articulate properly, all that. However, they have also said she is very well trained and has studied singing well enough that she can mimic techniques and styles very well.

I'll address the Beyoncé thing in a bit, but not you putting Christina in the same list as these other legendsdead2

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.