Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Lynk

Better Comeback: Madonna's Confessions or Mariah's Emancipation?

Which of the following was the better comeback album?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following was the better comeback album?

• Confessions on a Dance Floor
    • The Emancipation of Mimi

71D5S3PHRmL._SL1425_.jpg

Madonna - Confessions on a Dance Floor

71meogmqM2L._SL1400_.jpg

Mariah Carey-The Emancipation of Mimi

The year 2005 saw the return of Madonna and Mariah to the mainstream but of the two, who had the better comeback? Your chose should be based on the following: 

Impact

Success of Singles

Chart Success

Sales

Critical Reception

How Much They Stand Out In Each Artist's Discography

How Much Each Album is Loved/Remembered Outside Of Each Artist's Fanbase

(Idk why I put these here knowing that most of you will choose based on who you stan or which was your favorite rip4. Also, the links under the album covers take you to the albums on Spotify)

I honestly think Mariah's tbh. Confessions never felt like a comeback because afaik the US still didn't play her music so the singles were mostly successful outside of Europe where Madonna hadn't been over anyway. And TEOM feels more like a comeback anyway. Confessions was just the natural next step in Madonna's ever changing career not a comeback.

I love both, but Moomoo's is better. 

That album is the only one of Moo's I can listen to in full. Her whistles randomly in songs never make sense to me, but it made sense in "I wish you knew" and "Fly like a bird". Also We Belong Together is forever my jam and Don't forget about us.

Let me be the first objective member to reply. hottie1

Impact: Confessions. Dua Lipa is the latest pop girl to pay tribute to that album. She even released a single cover that has a similar pose to the COADF cover. Jump was included in The Devil Wears Prada and in one episode of Ugly Betty, which was a popular series back then. rip4 Hung Up was used in two of the biggest series in my country too. rip4 WBT was the song of the decade in the US.
Success of Singles: Hung Up went #1 in 41 countries, a record. We Belong Together was #1 for 14 weeks in US. Sorry did well and went #1 in multiple countries too, Get Together entered top 10 in many markets. Rest singles from TEOM had success in US but not that big compared to WBT. Hung Up sold 9 million copies worldwide, idk total sales of WBT.
Chart Success: COADF went #1 in 40 countries.
Sales: TEOM sold more in US and COADF sold more worldwide. Overall sales are close, i guess it's a tie.
Critical Reception:  COADF: 80/100 - TEOM: 64/100 
How Much They Stand Out In Each Artist's Discography: It's considered top 3 in the youngest generation of Madonna fans, idk about Mariah's.
How Much Each Album is Loved/Remembered Outside Of Each Artist's Fanbase: Idk. shrug1

Both are iconic and truly cemented both artist's as icons, however i'd have to with Emancipation as i feel like the era as a whole had more impact and the album has matured better.

3 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

Impact: Confessions. Dua Lipa is the latest pop girl to pay tribute to that album. She even released a single cover that has a similar pose to the COADF cover. Jump was included in The Devil Wears Prada and in one episode of Ugly Betty, which was a popular series back then. rip4 Hung Up was used in two of the biggest series in my country too. rip4
Success of Singles: Hung Up went #1 in 41 countries, a record. We Belong Together was #1 for 14 weeks in US. Sorry did well and went #1 in multiple countries too, Get Together entered top 10 in many markets. Rest singles from TEOM had success in US but not that big compared to WBT. Hung Up sold 9 million copies worldwide, idk total sales of WBT.
Sales: TEOM sold more in US and COADF sold more worldwide. Overall sales are close, i guess it's a tie.
How Much They Stand Out In Each Artist's Discography: It's considered top 3 in the youngest generation of Madonna fans, idk about Mariah's.
How Much Each Album is Loved/Remembered Outside Of Each Artist's Fanbase: Idk. shrug1

the abba cover wishes it had 1/10th of the impact and relevance WBT had/has, no matter how many countries it went to #1 in 

Don't take it from me, just look at the streams: 

WBT - 245M

Hun Up - 115m 

whit2

Impact - Mimi

Success of Singles - Mimi

Chart Success - Mimi

Sales - Mimi 

Critical Reception - Confessions? 

How Much They Stand Out In Each Artist's Discography - Confessions 

How Much Each Album is Loved/Remembered Outside Of Each Artist's Fanbase - Confessions

both are incredible but Mimi was HUGE 

11 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

Let me be the first objective member to reply. hottie1

Impact: Confessions. Dua Lipa is the latest pop girl to pay tribute to that album. She even released a single cover that has a similar pose to the COADF cover. Jump was included in The Devil Wears Prada and in one episode of Ugly Betty, which was a popular series back then. rip4 Hung Up was used in two of the biggest series in my country too. rip4

tea1 

8 minutes ago, Gilly said:

the abba cover wishes it had 1/10th of the impact and relevance WBT had/has, no matter how many countries it went to #1 in 

Don't be delusional. The impact of both songs was about on par, but a ballad and a dance track are not really comparable. 

15 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

It depends who you ask but i think most lambs would say Butterfly, Daydream & TEOM are her top 3 albums. 

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

Don't take it from me, just look at the streams: 

WBT - 245M

Hun Up - 115m 

whit2

Based in who you stan i can't say i'm shocked you don't know the difference between a cover and a sample. Two simple things sis, learn the difference. whit2 Confessions on a Dance Floor had worldwide dominance, plenty of #1s, was more praised by the critics, had highly praised tour, was included in iconic movies and popular series. Receipts and facts don't lie no matter how many stream numbers you post. whit2

Current it girl stans too. whit2

220px-Dua_Lipa_-_Physical.png Confessions_On_A_Dancefloor.jpg

14 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

Confessions, of course.  oprah14 

Album, singles, tour...  Madonna slayed in every way.  wendy1 

Mariah had more success with singles in the US but Madonna had decent success there too, so.. rip3

1 minute ago, Moira O'Hara said:

Based in who you stan i can't say i'm not shocked you don't know the difference between a cover and a sample. Two simple things sis, learn the difference. whit2 Confessions on a Dance Floor had worldwide dominance, plenty of #1s, was more praised by the critics, had highly praised tour, was included in iconic movies and popular series. Receipts and facts don't lie no matter how many stream numbers you post. whit2

Don't waste your time with him sis, he's not half the man he'd like to be, there's more important things than hearing him speak 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Moira O'Hara said:

Based in who you stan i can't say i'm not shocked you don't know the difference between a cover and a sample. Two simple things sis, learn the difference. whit2 Confessions on a Dance Floor had worldwide dominance, plenty of #1s, was more praised by the critics, had highly praised tour, was included in iconic movies and popular series. Receipts and facts don't lie no matter how many stream numbers you post. whit2

the only receipts here that matter is that the GP continues to stream one over the other. whit2 no 1 cares that some pop star and movies use confessions. Millions of peoples actions > dua lipa and devils wears Prada praising and using dated madonna songs whit2 

Moo stans coming in here claiming EMC is bigger...Chile the delusion.

Hung Up

Chart (2005–06) Peak
position
Australia (ARIA)[54] 1
Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)[111] 1
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[68] 1
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)[112] 1
Brazil (Crowley Broadcast Analysis)[113] 5
Canadian Singles Chart (Nielsen)[51] 1
Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)[114] 1
Denmark (Tracklisten)[115] 1
European Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)[59] 1
European Radio Airplay (Billboard)[116] 1
Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)[117] 1
France (SNEP)[56] 1
Germany (Official German Charts)[118] 1
Global Dance Songs (Billboard)[119] 1
Greece (IFPI)[120] 2
Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)[121] 1
Ireland (IRMA)[67] 2
Italy (FIMI)[122] 1
Japan (Oricon Singles Chart)[123] 1
Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)[124] 1
Netherlands (Single Top 100)[125] 1
New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[58] 2
Norway (VG-lista)[126] 1
Romania (Romanian Top 100)[127] 1
Russia Airplay (Tophit)[128] 1
Scotland (Official Charts Company)[129] 1
Spain (PROMUSICAE)[130] 1
Sweden (Sverigetopplistan)[131] 1
Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)[132] 1
UK Singles (Official Charts Company)[63] 1
UK Dance (Official Charts Company)[133] 1
US Billboard Hot 100[134] 7
US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)[135] 29
US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)[136] 16
US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)[137] 1
US Dance/Mix Show Airplay (Billboard)[138] 1
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)[139] 17

Sorry:

Chart (2006) Peak
position
Australia (ARIA)[37] 4
Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)[64] 8
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[41] 8
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)[65] 4
Canadian Singles Chart (Nielsen)[38] 2
Canada Hot AC (Billboard)[66] 47
Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)[67] 2
Denmark (Tracklisten)[68] 3
European Hot 100 (Billboard)[69] 1
Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)[70] 3
France (SNEP)[71] 5
Germany (Official German Charts)[72] 5
Global Dance Songs (Billboard)[73] 1
Greece (IFPI)[74] 1
Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)[75] 1
Ireland (IRMA)[40] 5
Italy (FIMI)[76] 1
Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)[77] 2
Netherlands (Single Top 100)[78] 2
New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)[79] 12
Norway (VG-lista)[80] 2
Romania (Romanian Top 100)[81] 1
Russia Airplay (Tophit)[82] 4
Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)[83] 66
Scotland (Official Charts Company)[84] 1
Spain (PROMUSICAE)[85] 1
Sweden (Sverigetopplistan)[86] 7
Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)[87] 4
UK Singles (Official Charts Company)[88] 1
UK Dance (Official Charts Company)[89] 1
US Billboard Hot 100[90] 58
US Adult Top 40 (Billboard)[91] 36
US Dance Club Songs (Billboard)[30] 1
US Dance/Mix Show Airplay (Billboard)[31] 1
US Latin Pop Songs (Billboard)[92] 33
US Pop 100 (Billboard)[28] 47

The album:

Chart (2005) Peak
position
Argentinian Albums (CAPIF)[117] 2
Australian Albums (ARIA)[72] 1
Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)[118] 1
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)[38] 1
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)[119] 1
Canadian Albums (Nielsen SoundScan)[69] 1
Danish Albums (Hitlisten)[120] 1
Dutch Albums (Album Top 100)[40] 1
European Top 100 Albums (Billboard)[82] 1
Finnish Albums (Suomen virallinen lista)[121] 1
French Albums (SNEP)[85] 1
German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)[122] 1
Greek Albums (IFPI Greece)[123] 1
Hungarian Albums (MAHASZ)[124] 1
Irish Albums (IRMA)[84] 3
Italian Albums (FIMI)[125] 1
Japanese Albums (Oricon)[76] 5
Mexican Albums (Top 100 Mexico)[126] 3
New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)[74] 5
Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)[127] 1
Polish Albums (ZPAV)[128] 1
Portuguese Albums (AFP)[129] 1
Scottish Albums (OCC)[130] 1
Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)[46] 1
Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)[131] 1
Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)[132] 1
UK Albums (OCC)[133] 1
UK Dance Albums (OCC)[134] 1
US Billboard 200[48] 1
US Top Dance/Electronic Albums (Billboard)[135] 1

Legacy

Mike Nied from Idolator praised Confessions on a Dance Floor as one of the most influential pop albums of the decade and dubbed Madonna as a "timeless trendsetter" and "creative genius". According to Michael Arceneaux from NBC News, it is "arguably her last great, impactful album; it's the last time she still felt truly forward-thinking, even if it looked back sonically." Christopher Rosa from VH1 called it her "best album to date" and explained that is a "near-perfect pop record" and "her most natural reinvention".  It was ranked as the third best dance album of all-time by Vice magazine—the highest peak by a female performer. The magazine staff commented: "This is the album all her subsequent albums is compared to; for its enduring relevance and how it redefined Madonna as an artist, it should be". Author Sancho Xavi from El País noted that the album started the disco revival during the 21st century and popularized the revivals concept of others musical genres during the first decade.

Justin Myers from the UK Official Charts Company commented: "An 'imperial phase' is when a pop star is at the pinnacle of their career, shifting stacks of records, having big hits, selling out arenas, owning the radio and being generally unavoidable and untouchable. Many pop acts barely manage one. Thanks to this album, Madonna claimed her third. How many popstars can honestly say that?" Calling her the "Mother of Reinvention", Jim Schembri from The Age wrote a detailed article of Madonna's impact with Confessions on a Dance Floor:

[The album] went straight to No. 1 everywhere except Mars. So too did the first single, "Hung Up", the video for which is on every time you turn on the TV. [Madonna] has reclaimed her place in the pop firmament with unrivaled ferocity. And she is a sterling example of pop survival. In a firmament that eats up artists like popcorn and where chart success is as fleeting as Jessica Simpson's attention span, Madonna remains an inspiring, intimidating beacon of permanence. Her longevity has thrived on her ability to continually reinvent herself by reading the winds of pop culture and taking her cue from there.

With the Confessions on a Dance Floor era, Madonna broke several world records and the album resuscitated her music sales and popularity, after the critical and commercial disappointment of American Life. According to The Jerusalem Post, the album sold 4 million copies worldwide during the first week of release. Madonna became the best-selling female artist in the European market and the fifth best-selling artist overall, with a quadruple platinum award by the IFPI. In the United Kingdom, Confessions on a Dance Floor became one of the fastest selling albums ever, with first week sales of 217,610 copies according to the Official UK Charts Company. Also, Madonna earned a place in the Guinness Book of World Records as the "oldest artist to simultaneously top the UK singles and album charts". With estimated sales of over 10 million copies worldwide, Confessions on a Dance Floor is considered to be one of the best-selling albums of the 21st century. English singer Dua Lipa's 2019 album, Future Nostalgia, also produced by Price, was influenced by Confessions on a Dance Floor.

The tour:

EOM:

38cHweA.png

EOM (Album)

Weekly charts[edit]

Chart (2005-2006) Peak
position
Australian Albums (ARIA)[149] 6
Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)[150] 19
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)[151] 31
Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)[152] 26
Canadian Albums (Billboard)[153] 2
Danish Albums (Hitlisten)[154] 2
Dutch Albums (Album Top 100)[155] 8
European Albums (Top 100)[156] 4
French Albums (SNEP)[157] 4
German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)[158] 14
Greek International Albums (IFPI)[159] 2
Irish Albums (IRMA)[160] 18
Italian Albums (FIMI)[161] 15
Japanese Albums (Oricon)[162] 2
New Zealand Albums (RMNZ)[163] 12
Polish Albums (ZPAV)[164] 22
Portuguese Albums (AFP)[165] 25
Scottish Albums (OCC)[166] 31
Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)[167] 15
Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)[168] 32
Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)[169] 9
UK Albums (OCC)[170] 7
UK R&B Albums (OCC)[171] 2
US Billboard 200[172] 1
US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)[173]

It was nowhere near as big as COADF. Yall gotta sit the fuck DOWN!

Just now, Gilly said:

no 1 cares that some pop star and movies use confessions. Millions of peoples actions > dua lipa and devils wears Prada praising and using dated madonna songs whit2

But that's what we call impact and influence, don't we? whit2

5 minutes ago, Gilly said:

no 1 cares that some pop star and movies use confessions. Millions of peoples actions > dua lipa and devils wears Prada praising and using dated madonna songs whit2 

9+ million that bought just the lead single suddenly don't count cause we are in 2020? whit2 No one cares about the song of the 00s in US then. whit2

2 minutes ago, Gilly said:

the only receipts here that matter is that the GP continues to stream one over the other. whit2

The OP asked what was the better comeback based in sales, chart success, impact, critical reception etc. Most of these criteria can be answered by bringing receipts from 2005-06, where both albums got relased, what's not clicking? whit2 And COADF does good in streaming platforms even if her team is useless, idk what are you talking about. eve1

19 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

Mariah had more success with singles in the US but Madonna had decent success there too, so.. rip3

Since AL, America is butthurt about Madonna being against Bush. ajay1 

Other girls wouldn't dare.  eve1 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.