Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Lynk

Better Comeback: Madonna's Confessions or Mariah's Emancipation?

Which of the following was the better comeback album?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following was the better comeback album?

• Confessions on a Dance Floor
    • The Emancipation of Mimi

Let's not also forget the triumph it was for madonna to have such a big era after the us blacklisted her AGAIN for speaking up against bush's illegal war. The dixie chicks were obliterated for speaking against him and they TRIED with madonna but she was too damn huge ny1

Mariah only started flopping thanks to quality, not for speaking her mind politically

37 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Mariah only started flopping thanks to quality, not for speaking her mind politically

The very notion of Moo speaking her mind on anything other than herself is most amusing to me moo8

12 hours ago, STJ said:

This random flawless drag moo1moo1

I concede that I could be completely wrong about Moo and she does speak out on a range of issues, but somehow she only ever makes it into popular culture for either a) flopping, b) shading some lessor or c) posting suspiciously-flattering Instagram pictures.

2 minutes ago, LÉON said:

I concede that I could be completely wrong about Moo and she does speak out on a range of issues, but somehow she only ever makes it popular culture for either a) flopping, b) shading some lessor or c) posting suspiciously-flattering Instagram pictures.

I don't think you're wrong; that's why I found it extremely hilarious sia2 The thought never occured to me, but when you said that, I've never heard her talk about anything important. Maybe that one time where she talked about inequalities of being mixed race--but then again that was about her more than other people dead7dead7

2 minutes ago, STJ said:

I don't think you're wrong; that's why I found it extremely hilarious sia2 The thought never occured to me, but when you said that, I've never heard her talk about anything important. Maybe that one time where she talked about inequalities of being mixed race--but then again that was about her more than other people dead7dead7

Apparently she's piped up about BLM lately, but it all seems to be in the context of her music:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9401423/mariah-carey-postpones-anniversary-celebration-debut-album-black-lives-matter

dead7

1 hour ago, LÉON said:

The very notion of Moo speaking her mind on anything other than herself is most amusing to me moo8

The fact that you're not wrong just makes this shade even more effective lmfao1

1 hour ago, LÉON said:

Apparently she's piped up about BLM lately, but it all seems to be in the context of her music:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9401423/mariah-carey-postpones-anniversary-celebration-debut-album-black-lives-matter

dead7

Much of Mariahs music over the years has talked about racial inequalities (Outside is a prime example). Sure it may be in the context of her life but people relate to her songs. Not everyone is politically minded. One of the most powerful things in music is an artist sharing their story. She's an optimistic person so her songs tend to revolve around hope, believing in yourself and empowerment (Make It Happen, Through The Rain, Fly Like A Bird etc). Mariah has actually done lots for charities over the years but often does it more lowkey.

Impact: Emancipation. Some of you mixed up impact and influence.

Success of Singles: Confessions, overall.

Chart Success: In the U.S.A.? Emancipation. Overall worldwide? Confessions.

Sales: Aren't both on par? Emancipation sold more than Confessions in the U.S.A. though.

Critical Reception: Someone already posted the Metacritic scores for both. However, let me give you a perspective: There's a total of 28 critics listed for Confessions, 2 of them mixed, while there's a total of 16 critics listed for Emancipation, 5 of them mixed and 1 negative. Metacritic is a site which compiled numerous reviews, remember?

How Much They Stand Out In Each Artist's Discography: Both aren't that special if we want to be honest. Mariah revisited R&B/soul from the 60s/70s while Madonna revisited Donna Summer's entire discography. Those are not progressions. However, a personal bias of mine will always prefer Emancipation because I'm a Lamb.

How Much Each Album is Loved/Remembered Outside Of Each Artist's Fanbase: Who knows? Maybe Confessions because it's a dance-pop album?

7 hours ago, Moira O'Hara said:

Let me be the first objective member to reply. hottie1

Impact: Confessions. Dua Lipa is the latest pop girl to pay tribute to that album. She even released a single cover that has a similar pose to the COADF cover. Jump was included in The Devil Wears Prada and in one episode of Ugly Betty, which was a popular series back then. rip4 Hung Up was used in two of the biggest series in my country too. rip4 WBT was the song of the decade in the US.
Success of Singles: Hung Up went #1 in 41 countries, a record. We Belong Together was #1 for 14 weeks in US. Sorry did well and went #1 in multiple countries too, Get Together entered top 10 in many markets. Rest singles from TEOM had success in US but not that big compared to WBT. Hung Up sold 9 million copies worldwide, idk total sales of WBT.
Chart Success: COADF went #1 in 40 countries.
Sales: TEOM sold more in US and COADF sold more worldwide. Overall sales are close, i guess it's a tie.
Critical Reception:  COADF: 80/100 - TEOM: 64/100 
How Much They Stand Out In Each Artist's Discography: It's considered top 3 in the youngest generation of Madonna fans, idk about Mariah's.
How Much Each Album is Loved/Remembered Outside Of Each Artist's Fanbase: Idk. shrug1

Honestly I feel bad for Dua Lipa. Because I feel her most notable artistic development is constantly citing Madonna. dead2

All of you can trash Gaga all you want because while it's clear, and Gaga herself has said, that she was influenced by Madonna, Gaga made her place in pop music and culture from the JUMP. To me Dua Lipa had the build up but the build up was too... Drum roll please... constant musical references that don't live up to material or artists she references, like Madonna. 

She has yet to have a song as good or as impactful as anything Madonna or Gaga have made. 

She needs to really take inspiration from Madonna and just stop fangirling over her and referencing her. Constantly talking about Madonna is never going to do anything for her. 

Sorry for straying from the topic just adding my thoughts to a tangent. 

OT: Mariah's comeback was bigger. Didn't she switch labels or management and this was the result? Kind of insane. Madonnas COAD is her best work of dance music but it's musical success didn't match the success Mariah's TEOM had in terms of singles. Didn't Mariah score more #1s? Both were amazing and two albums I really enjoy. 

Edit: If I had to choose I wouldn't be able too. But to Madonnas favor I play COAD wayyy more than I play TEOM. Madonna showed why she is queen of the dance charts with COAD. 

Madonna's numbers might have been bigger and Madonna as a person is more influential than Mariah is but TEOM was in fact THAT bitch.

TEOM was her coming back in a really big way and imo is the exact moment that made her a legend. People counted her out and she made one of the best, freshest albums of her entire career. COADF is a masterwork but Madonna was never done. Y'know? The same way people act like she was done for with Erotica when in reality she just stopped being #1 and Mariah, Whitney, Janet and Celine were slaying, but Madonna still had her strong fanbase.

TEOM on the other hand kind of single handled redeemed herself for the past 4 years she had at the time.

I was young when both of these albums happened but I stanned the fuck out of both of these queens

1 hour ago, Strobo said:

Madonna's numbers might have been bigger and Madonna as a person is more influential than Mariah is but TEOM was in fact THAT bitch.

TEOM was her coming back in a really big way and imo is the exact moment that made her a legend. People counted her out and she made one of the best, freshest albums of her entire career. COADF is a masterwork but Madonna was never done. Y'know? The same way people act like she was done for with Erotica when in reality she just stopped being #1 and Mariah, Whitney, Janet and Celine were slaying, but Madonna still had her strong fanbase.

TEOM on the other hand kind of single handled redeemed herself for the past 4 years she had at the time.

I was young when both of these albums happened but I stanned the fuck out of both of these queens

Imagine a gun to your head: choose between We Belong Together vs. Hung Up.

I'd die by gunshot. Both those songs helped me through so much. brit2 both so amazing and iconic cry1

8 hours ago, Strobo said:

This is what literally happens with Madonna since the 90s. ari6 Madonna was hated for her political views and sabotaged by multiple popular radio stations, yet she still managed to succeed at her late 40s. ari6 

8 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

This is what literally happens with Madonna since the 90s. ari6 Madonna was hated for her political views and sabotaged by multiple popular radio stations, yet she still managed to succeed at her late 40s. ari6 

Yeah but she never went from near constant success to, "she's crazy, and she lost her voice, she's nothing without Tommy/Sony!" as well as the most unfortunate timing EVER for a (not great) acting debut.

Madonna has gotten bashed and has naysayers her entire career but the first album she's had without a hit was Rebel Heart. American Life at least had the title track go top 40 and get her """cancelled""" (despite having arguably the most iconic VMAs performance EVER performing one of the songs from the album).

And Erotica? If a two top 10s, a top 15 and a top 40 hit, one of the highest paying concerts ever for a female artist, and one of the most iconic pop culture moments EVER with the Sex book counts as flopping I wanna flop like that tbh.

Point is, Madonna never really left. I bet she would continue to find a way to thrive if the Rebel Heart demo leak and messy rollout situation didn't go down the way it did. ((Though I guess the underwhelming singles from MDNA is probably where the genuine decline/flopping began))

With Mariah she was declining after her divorce because of direct meddling from Tommy (Butterfly, Breakdown, The Roof, Can't Take That Away/Crybaby), the hot mess that was Glitter era, Charmbracelet happening and no one caring. That's a pretty safe period for people to say "yeah she's over." TEOM not only was a comeback, but she was on TOP going head to head and winning against artists 10 years younger than her. It feels a lot more significant that way? Maybe it's just me though, but Madonna feels like "oh, she's smashing again" but Mariah felt like a huge fuckin comeback. Probably the second greatest comeback from a female artist ever tbfh.

29 minutes ago, Strobo said:

Yeah but she never went from near constant success to, "she's crazy, and she lost her voice, she's nothing without Tommy/Sony!" as well as the most unfortunate timing EVER for a (not great) acting debut.

Madonna has gotten bashed and has naysayers her entire career but the first album she's had without a hit was Rebel Heart. American Life at least had the title track go top 40 and get her """cancelled""" (despite having arguably the most iconic VMAs performance EVER performing one of the songs from the album).

And Erotica? If a two top 10s, a top 15 and a top 40 hit, one of the highest paying concerts ever for a female artist, and one of the most iconic pop culture moments EVER with the Sex book counts as flopping I wanna flop like that tbh.

Point is, Madonna never really left. I bet she would continue to find a way to thrive if the Rebel Heart demo leak and messy rollout situation didn't go down the way it did. ((Though I guess the underwhelming singles from MDNA is probably where the genuine decline/flopping began))

With Mariah she was declining after her divorce because of direct meddling from Tommy (Butterfly, Breakdown, The Roof, Can't Take That Away/Crybaby), the hot mess that was Glitter era, Charmbracelet happening and no one caring. That's a pretty safe period for people to say "yeah she's over." TEOM not only was a comeback, but she was on TOP going head to head and winning against artists 10 years younger than her. It feels a lot more significant that way? Maybe it's just me though, but Madonna feels like "oh, she's smashing again" but Mariah felt like a huge fuckin comeback. Probably the second greatest comeback from a female artist ever tbfh.

This is my perspective too. The success of both eras may have been about equal, but Mariahs comeback was more significant as Madonna was still having more success in the US in the early 00s.

3 hours ago, Strobo said:

TEOM not only was a comeback, but she was on TOP going head to head and winning against artists 10 years younger than her. 

Madonna succeed with artists 20 years younger than her. jj4

3 hours ago, Strobo said:

When you go from 31 million copies and mutiple #1s to 5 million copies ofc it will be counted as flop. She could easily have more 10/20 million album sellers at the 90s if Erotica never happened. rip3 Madonna's COADF wasn't just a comeback to the charts, it also felt like a 'comeback' of the classic 80s Madonna. You just can't cancel the success and impact it had in worldwide scale just cause TEOM was bigger in the US. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.