Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Freaky Prince

Katy Perry | Smile | August 28, 2020

12 minutes ago, Unapologetic Bitch said:

Ummm album is bit disapointing jj4

I will wait for hq version to honestly judge it, but so far i have like maybe 3 songs that caught my attention: cry about it later, teary eyes, and from already released songs harleys is okay, but outside that i dunno. Lyrically its not good, production and music is kinda basic ohno1

Im in minority that thinks witness was actually really good, it had great production and really good tracks, its pity it was hated so much, cos she was on right path to some great future projects and all that hate pushed her back into this basic generic mess mad12

Oh i forgot tucked is not bad too. 

I loved witness. I think it’s weak single choices was a reason for the flop. I think its one of her best albums and most genuine works 

I am not too disappointed with this album, though it's easily her weakest effort to date. Some of the lyrics are so...choices~

The overall production is decent. I mean, her voice is clear and bright. The compositions aren't that great though. Never Really Over is really the best song of the album. I also like Cry About It Later for its catchy chorus, Daisies for its sweet sentimental message, and Tucked for its slight lyrical naughtiness.

Harleys in Hawaii has gotten boring to me while Teary Eyes has an odd arrangement. Only Love is surface-level af and Smile is just...there. Champagne Problems is weird, Not the End of the World is too similar to Black Widow, Resilient is absurd, and What Makes a Woman is such a cringe.

I thought we were going to get her "Ray of Light" moment a.k.a. a renaissance, but hey not everybody can do it like Madonna.

Alright so I just completed my first listen. Never Really Over remains incredible and one of her best singles ever.

Cry About It Later is good, I liked the final chorus/outro. That being said I don't think it would be a hit like everyone else thinks.

Teary Eyes is really great. I'm not the biggest fan of the chorus but as a whole I think the song is really strong. The verses and bridge are soo good. Thank god for the little outro cause the final chorus needed it.

Daisies is still cute. Don't think it should have ever been a single though.

Resilient had promise but that final chorus was such a let down. The bridge was leading to such a big moment that just didn't happen. 

I enjoyed Not the End of the World. It's again echoing something I've felt about a lot of the tracks though, that they're good but nothing remarkable. 

Smile is still meh.

Champagne Problems is another Not the End of the World situation.

Now, let's talk about Tucked. Finally a track on the level of NRO. This song is so damn great. That post chorus is so fucking catchy. THIS should be a single with an amazing disco video. giveup1  

And of course Katy had to follow one of the best tracks on the album with Harley's In Hawaii, one of the worst songs of her career rip4 

Now, she had me in the beginning of Only Love. It started and I thought she was doing a weird Seasons of Love from Rent sample rip4 Regardless of that, Only Love got things back on track. This is a great track. Really sweet and super relatable. 

Finally, we arrive to What Makes a Woman. The verses remind me so much of another song but I can't figure out what dead2 That being said. This is a phenomenal closer. It's easily one of the best tracks on the album. I would also say this is the only song other than Tucked that screams MAKE ME A SINGLE. My only gripe is its length and anticlimactic ending.

There's definitely a reason High on Your Supply was a bonus track. It's not bad necessarily but the subject matter is just kinda cringe. Like who gives a fuck how people present themselves on social media. The lyrics are just cringey. I'd lump this with HIH for being the worst songs on the album.

Overall, the album is better than I expected. There's definitely some gems on here. Tucked and What Makes a Woman should be the next singles. I would like to see Only Love as a single but it wouldn't do well probably. Teary Eyes would be my other pick for a further single. Never Really Over and Tucked are the two best on the album, closely followed by What Makes a Woman and Teary Eyes. The rest bar HIH and HOYS are all good but that's it. They're just good, nothing super memorable. It is really nice to see how much Katy is putting into the era though with all the videos and performances, etc. 

Never Really Over 10/10 - one of the best songs of her career and a perfect opener

Cry About It Later  7/10 - really not bad but even at a short 3:10, it felt like it went nowhere and dragged in the end but still it had a good melody and good lyrics and works about half the time

Teary Eyes  9/10 - I really love the production and lyrics, and the pre-chorus is GORGEOUS...her vocals in it are amazing. docked points for a weak chorus.

Daisies 9/10 - simple and effectively beautiful, even of that last part of the chorus should've been left out

Resilient  7/10 - fine but like CAIL it doesn't exactly go anywhere or make a lasting impression, but it's a fun ride while you're on it

Not the End of the World 10/10 - i adore the production, love the melody, love the attitude, and really just vibe with this track a lot...it's really, really fantastic

Smile  7/10 - it's a guilty pleasure for me and while I acknowledge that it's far from perfect, it's fun enough to look beyond the flaws for me

Champagne Problems  8/10 - the production is so fun, I love the string samples. her vocals and the melody are fantastic but the pre-chorus leaves a lot to be desired (though the chorus mostly corrects it)

Tucked  10/10 - i'd call this a career highlight already tbh....i can't think of one fault with it. it's so much fun, so lively, the production is amazing and the melody is so catchy. the "nah nah nah" part has been stuck in my head since heading it the first time

Harleys in Hawaii 5/10 - one of the worst songs of her career...it's worse than i remembered it 

Only Love  8/10 - another solid melody, great vocal performance, and great production but it's too repetitive for it's own good 

What Makes a Woman 10/10 - a wonderful, heartfelt closer with great lyrics, great vocals, and the pride in her voice as she sings it is the icing on top

High on Your Supply  6/10 - not as bad as everyone's making it out to be, but a bonus track for a reason

OVERALL: 8.2/10 - it's not quite as bulletproof as i had hoped, but it's easily my second favorite Katy album and I can say that after a few years of being done with her, I'm back stanning he and I can thank this album for it tbh

i really enjoyed the album! i think it also came at the perfect time for me, listening to the album gave me so much endorphins. i loved the overall vibe/happiness it brings.

favorite track is still Never Really Over and Smile is a close second. Favorite album track is Tucked!

Singles should’ve been

Lead: NRO 

Second: Champagne Problems

Third: Smile 

Fourth: Not the End of the World 

Fifth: Tucked

Still a great album and a lot more appealing than Witness. If it had a hit, I think it’d be pretty successful. Who cares though, she is serving content!

Y'alls mixed reviews got me confused lol.  

This is easily some of the best work of her career.  Katy brings pop PERFECTION on this record which is something that NO ONE else does or can do.

It is really quintessential Katy and for that, it is full force amazing.  The album really takes notes from the last 4 albums between the songwriting and the production and is a wonderful follow up.  It's BOP after BOP all the way though and absolutely is smile inducing.  This really is the strongest pop record to be released in a looooooong time.  

6 hours ago, KP4LYFE said:

Y'alls mixed reviews got me confused lol.  

This is easily some of the best work of her career.  Katy brings pop PERFECTION on this record which is something that NO ONE else does or can do.

It is really quintessential Katy and for that, it is full force amazing.  The album really takes notes from the last 4 albums between the songwriting and the production and is a wonderful follow up.  It's BOP after BOP all the way though and absolutely is smile inducing.  This really is the strongest pop record to be released in a looooooong time.  

Seriously. No one can quite do it like her.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.