Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

SeekingThrill

How Madonna Inspired One of Taylor Swift's Most Iconic Albums

Madonna and Taylor Swift are two of the biggest pop artists of all time — but they took different paths to make their way to the top. Madonna is one of the world’s most famous provocateurs. Swift, on the other hand, built her career on a girl-next-door image. Regardless, both singers are known for releasing confessional pop music. 

Swift’s discography is eclectic but she leans toward modern country-pop and electropop. It doesn’t sound too much like Madonna’s work. Yet. Swift has cited specific way in which she drew inspiration from Madonna.

The Taylor Swift album influenced by risky pop music

Swift has released music ranging from country to pop-punk to disco to dub-step. In a similar vein, Madonna has performed R&B, dance-pop, house music, and funk. Is it a coincidence the two artists take the same approach to genre? No. In fact, Swift is inspired by Madonna’s refusal to stay in her comfort zone.

“One element of Madonna’s career that really takes center stage is how many times she’s reinvented herself,” Swift told Billboard. “It’s easier to stay in one look, one comfort zone, one musical style. It’s inspiring to see someone whose only predictable quality is being unpredictable.”

In addition, Madonna influenced one of Swift’s most iconic albums: 1989. Swift told Rolling Stone the album was inspired by the music of Annie Lennox, Phil Collins, and the music Madonna made in the late 1980s, such as “Like a Prayer.” According to Heavy, Swift feels “Like a Prayer” is one of the greatest pop songs ever — and many Madonna fans agree! Furthermore, she praised Madonna for being ahead of the curve in the late 1980s and taking musical risks.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/how-madonna-inspired-one-of-taylor-swifts-most-iconic-albums.html/

1 minute ago, Princess Aurora said:

That makes sense. Taylor Swift once stated in 2014 she was inspired by Like A Prayer for 1989 moo1 

Maybe I’m missing the sound similarities. 

1 hour ago, Kyoteki said:

1989??????

I can see Reputation, but 1989??????? I can’t imagine that even by the SOUND of the music. 

The song is inspired by 80s music and she said Madonna's Like a Prayer (released in 1989) was one of her inspirations too.

4 hours ago, Kyoteki said:

1989??????

I can see Reputation, but 1989??????? I can’t imagine that even by the SOUND of the music. 

Maybe 1989 doesn't sound like Like A Prayer (the song), but the inspiration from 80s artists like Madonna has been quoted since the album came out dead2 Tbh 1989 sounds more along the lines of True Blue but I bet she just said Like A Prayer because it was a more formidable album and just generally more inspirational. 

11 hours ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Maybe 1989 doesn't sound like Like A Prayer (the song), but the inspiration from 80s artists like Madonna has been quoted since the album came out dead2 Tbh 1989 sounds more along the lines of True Blue but I bet she just said Like A Prayer because it was a more formidable album and just generally more inspirational. 

Yes. True Blue comes to mind more than the LAP album. Or synthpop in general from the 80’s. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.