Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

i wish you were gay

Did the drastic changes she made took a toll on her career?

Christina is known for changing things up drastically, from her sound, to her looks.

She debuted as a teen pop singer (much to her dismay, I guess.) but years later, she changed the way she looked as she essentially grew up and when that drastic, dirrty change came up in 2002, she was endlessly and ruthlessly criticized but when you look at it now, everything new pop girl does are far worst. 

Four years after stripped, she released her most sophisticated, grown up album, Back to Basics where she donned classic 1920's to 1930's aesthetics and sound. Her live performances were top notch but when Bionic was released after another long haitus, she suffered from under performance. 

Do y'all think that the changes she alienated fans that loved her during her previous eras (Stripped to B2B and B2B to Biconic? ?

She waited too long in between releases and never captured a consistent sound. I think she had an advantage in mid 2000s since pop girls weren't really a thing...by 2010 the market was crowded with new girls. I think her label was dumb to release Keeps Gettin Better with only 3 albums out katy6

I don't think it was that she made drastic changes, I think it was how long she took to make them. I she smashed with self-titled and could've ridden that wave but instead she waited three years to release Stripped. Then she waited three years to do B2B, four years to do Bionic, two years to do Lotus (which isn't a huge amount of time but considering how badly Bionic success wise landed she needed to clean up that mess quicker than she did), and then six years to do Liberation. And while there's nothing exactly wrong with taking your time, she did it a stage in her career where she couldn't afford to. Such long gaps between albums is something you do when you've firmly established yourself, not when your career is brand new. People lost interest after self-titled because Britney and others were putting things out and keeping themselves in the spotlight whereas Xtina didn't. And she gained some of that back with B2B but ended up dropping the ball again by mostly disappearing between albums rather than doing something to keep people looking for her. 

There are so many factors, and maybe some we don't know the details of. But this is how I see it, from following her career.  

She alienated many fans, the transition from squeaky clean image to Dirrty, I think it shocked a lot of fans and their parents. She recovered with Beautiful, but the video spoke on social issues that were not cool to talk about at the time, and that alienated the bigotted fans. 

Then came the release of Ain't No Other Man, which further alienated the pop listeners, I don't think it was appreciated at the time. The single got to #6 because she had a massive fanbase which was beginning to dwindle. Then she got pregnant during the B2B tour, and had to cancel a few dates due to pregnancy sickness, and a lot of fans from NZ were angered because they booked flights, hotels etc, and those weren't compensated, only the tickets. Towards the end of the tour, she cancelled more dates, but nobody knew it was because she was pregnant, so a lot of people were angered that she cancelled without giving the real reason. We only knew she was pregnant because Paris Hilton accidentally spilled it at an event where she said, "Congratulation to the most beautiful mother in the world". 

After the B2b era ended, we had Keeps gettin better. During this time, 2008, there were a lot of issues going around Proposition 8 (this is about banning gay marriage), I think she was against it because she wants equality for gay marriage, and she spoke against Propaganda 8 during the promotion of KGB, which alienated even more fans, the homophobic ones and the ones who think gay marriage is not natural or whatever. 

I think she also got blacklisted from radio for doing this, and for not giving them interviews when they wanted it.

Then in 2010, we got Bionic, and as people know, she was unfairly compared to Gaga, and the entire era was sabotaged by Perez Hilton. People jumped on the bandwagon and hated on her. But I don't think that was what made the era flopped, the divorce, and the timing of the Burlesque movie promotion came at the same time. Cancelling the Bionic tour was another factor that contributed to the downfall. 

Motherhood. I think motherhood changed her, in the sense, that her priorities changed, now she no longer cares about success, and only about her son. She didn't tour for 10 years after B2B tour (except billionaire's tours which made fans more angry lol). Because of this, she chose to be on The Voice for 5 seasons, so that she didn't have to travel. I think that she showed a lot of personality, and came across as bitchy to people who don't understand it, or think women should be quiet and nice like Paula Abdul and not speak what's on their mind. 

The National anthem fail at the Superbowl 2011 further added more haters. It was watched by millions of people across the country jj4 and made news all the way here to Australia... she was a hot item for the wrong reasons. 

The release of Lotus. If she had released this after Debut or Stripped, it would make sense, but at this point in her career, whatever's left of the fanbase, we were stanning for vocals and quality music ala B2B or stripped, but then she released Lotus (which was worse than Debut).. many fans jumped off the sinking ship. Then we had to wait 6 years for Liberation. 

And Accelerate confused many fans and other people lol. But I love it, I don't like Fall in line though. 

She returned to touring, her team was wise to book Theatres instead of arenas.

I would love for her to return to the top, but at this point, I don't see it happening. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Mendes said:

she waited three years to release Stripped.

Well it was her label's fault for making her record a Christmas CD instead of pushing for a pop-rnb sound in 2001 to streamline her crossover to stripped. 

As B2B the three wait was okay as she needed the album to be flawless.

For Bionic, she could've released it in 2009 and then return to her soul roots with Burlesque. 

Definitely. She never really had a consistent sound/image apart from her ballads (imo that's one of the reasons the GP likes those by her the most) But as others have mentioned the longs waits between albums hurt her as well.

12 hours ago, Kirjava said:

Definitely. She never really had a consistent sound/image apart from her ballads (imo that's one of the reasons the GP likes those by her the most) But as others have mentioned the longs waits between albums hurt her as well.

This is true but that's what sets her apart from her peers. She has one of the most eclectic discographies which makes listening to her music much more exciting as she gives a different twist every era but yeah, the long ass wait for her to release something  is very much the reason for her under performing. 

On 7/20/2020 at 5:24 PM, Highlight! said:

This is true but that's what sets her apart from her peers. She has one of the most eclectic discographies which makes listening to her music much more exciting as she gives a different twist every era but yeah, the long ass wait for her to release something  is very much the reason for her under performing. 

This. Her discography is very diverse, especially when compared to her contemporaries. However, not everyone appreciates that fact, as some people prefer to listen to the same genres/sounds. Most importantly as others have mentioned, the long breaks are the main reason the GP has lost interest in her. The good sis has disappeared too many times and the GP has moved on, just like she has moved on to focusing on being a mother. We’re just lucky she pays attention to us from time to time so she can get more vacation money nicki5

19 hours ago, StanLeeMusique said:

This. Her discography is very diverse, especially when compared to her contemporaries. However, not everyone appreciates that fact, as some people prefer to listen to the same genres/sounds. Most importantly as others have mentioned, the long breaks are the main reason the GP has lost interest in her. The good sis has disappeared too many times and the GP has moved on, just like she has moved on to focusing on being a mother. We’re just lucky she pays attention to us from time to time so she can get more vacation money nicki5

The good sis didn't even wear a mask on vacay with her son...which is quite dangerous. 

Here in my country, it's against the law to not wear a mask outside during a pandemic. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.