Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Michael.

Madonna has only 5 songs with 10+ weeks in the top 10. Why?

Madonna's HOT 100 history:

I'll Remember (10 weeks top 10)

Secret (10 weeks top 10)

Take A Bow (15 weeks top 10)

Music (12 weeks top 10)

4 Minutes (11 weeks top 10)

In comparison, here's some other FOTP faves:

Mariah - 11 songs with +10 weeks top 10

Rihanna - 21 songs with +10 weeks top 10

Beyoncé - 10 songs with  +10 weeks top 10

Lady Gaga - 7 songs with  +10 weeks top 10

Why are numbers lower with the amount of singles she's released?

discussion] Is this the best Oprah gif? - The Lounge - ATRL

17 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Imagine consistently having top 10 songs for 30 years only to realize you're still a flop because not enough of them stayed there for more than two months fall9 

Reveal hidden contents

Btw 10 weeks is a fucking long time dead2 

A lot of her top 10 songs had short runs, Rain On Me teas lol3 

Lucky Star (5 weeks top 10)

Material Girl (6 weeks top 10)

Borderline (1 week top 10)

Dress You Up (4 weeks top 10)

Hung Up (2 weeks top 10)

Live To Tell (6 weeks top 10)

Deeper and Deeper (4 weeks top 10)

True Blue (5 weeks top 10)

Temporal

37 minutes ago, LittleDudeNT5 said:

Imagine consistently having top 10 songs for 30 years only to realize you're still a flop because not enough of them stayed there for more than two months fall9 

Reveal hidden contents

Btw 10 weeks is a fucking long time dead2 

It don't matter cuz things where different back then. She didn't debut at the singles era or the digital era, and she didn't have much radio support as the rest ppl mentioned at the OP, to keep her into the top 10 for more. She has singles that sold 2 million physical copies in US and didn't stay in the top 10 that much, they didn't need to. A song at #30 with not much radio support, was as successful as a song into the top 15 is right now.

355ckDI.gif

Why do people not do their research brit8

Singles in the 80's had a drastically different/shorter chart runs and that's a fact. 

46 minutes ago, Michael. said:

A lot of her top 10 songs had short runs, Rain On Me teas lol3 

Lucky Star (5 weeks top 10)

Material Girl (6 weeks top 10)

Borderline (1 week top 10)

Dress You Up (4 weeks top 10)

Live To Tell (6 weeks top 10)

True Blue (5 weeks top 10)

Temporal

None of this is bad brit8 This is coming from an era where in most of these respective years the song that spent the most weeks in the top 10 only spent about 8-10 weeks when a normal sized hit can be 20 weeks inside the top 10 these days

But anyway because she's the most irrelevant act of all time clap3

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

Why do people not do their research brit8

Singles in the 80's had a drastically different/shorter chart runs and that's a fact. 

None of this is bad brit8 This is coming from an era where in most of these respective years the song that spent the most weeks in the top 10 only spent about 8-10 weeks when a normal sized hit can be 20 weeks inside the top 10 these days

But anyway because she's the most irrelevant act of all time clap3

The 80s represent ONE decade of her 3 decades music career brit8 

but go off with the excuses, you're good at that. lol3 

31 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Digital era started at ~2005. The only huge hits that Madonna had in the digital era are Hung Up and 4 Minutes, and one of them is mentioned at the OP. brit8

29 minutes ago, Michael. said:

And that’s the decade where most of her hits are from. lol3 Besides, singles in the 90s and 00s had a very different release schedule charting system. Some of her singles weren’t physically available long after airplay for that particular song peaked (this was most apparent during the ROL era). Singles back then had much shorter chart run because streaming and social media didn’t exist. There were no “viral” hits. Hits were determined by what was played most on the radio and sold physical copies (Madonna dominated the latter which is why she’s the most successful female artist of all time)

MTV and VH1 although similarly important in the determination (See YouTube’s impact on the charts) of a hit as airplay, weren’t counted towards the charts (otherwise she’d gave even more hits). Examples for that being Bedtime Story and Human Nature. Both of these songs had their videos on heavy rotation but the lack of airplay support was what caused them to flop.

18 minutes ago, Jjang said:

Not really an excuse but ok

Some of her top 10 hits from the 90s had short runs too, since you want to leave out the 80s

Rescue Me (1 week top 10)

Erotica (4 weeks top 10)

Don't Cry For Me Argentina (3 weeks top 10)

You'll See (5 weeks top 10)

Ray Of Light (4 weeks top 10)

Even in the albums department, she falls behind her peers

Weeks spent in the top 10 on the BB 200:

1. Mariah Carey - 220 weeks top 10

2. Michael Jackson - 184 weeks top 10

3. Whitney Houston - 165 weeks top 10

4. Madonna - 150 weeks top 10

Her stats are still great nonetheless but it's interesting how she's deemed as the biggest female artist of all time, and yet she falls behind her peers in SEVERAL departments.

discussion] What's the most used gif on ATRL EVER? - The Lounge - ATRL

16 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Some of her top 10 hits from the 90s had short runs too, since you want to leave out the 80s

Rescue Me (1 week top 10)

Erotica (4 weeks top 10)

Don't Cry For Me Argentina (3 weeks top 10)

You'll See (5 weeks top 10)

Ray Of Light (4 weeks top 10)

Even in the albums department, she falls behind her peers

Weeks spent in the top 10 on the BB 200:

1. Mariah Carey - 220 weeks top 10

2. Michael Jackson - 184 weeks top 10

3. Whitney Houston - 165 weeks top 10

4. Madonna - 150 weeks top 10

Her stats are still great nonetheless but it's interesting how she's deemed as the biggest female artist of all time, and yet she falls behind her peers in SEVERAL departments.

discussion] What's the most used gif on ATRL EVER? - The Lounge - ATRL

How are you holding these receipts against her? brit8

Rescue Me - literally a video-less single she never mentioned, promoted or performed reaching the top 10 dead1

Don't Cry For Me Argentina is a 5 minutes long ‎Orchestral song sis, it's legendary that it charted to begin with brit13

From the OP:

I'll Remember (10 weeks top 10)

Secret (10 weeks top 10)

Take A Bow (15 weeks top 10)

Literally these are not half as big as LAV/LAP/MG/LIB/Vogue and they spent like x2 the weeks in the top 10. It's clear that chart runs drastically changed with the times, it just happens that in this particular list it negatively affects her. I don't understand why you're pretending like it's such a big deal when she still has more weeks in the top 10 than Janet/MJ/Whitney/Prince etc 

She's deemed the biggest artist of all time because her achievements on a worldwide scale are unmatched. She pretty much killed her US career with AL in 2003. No fan will tell you otherwise so I don't understand what kind of revelation you want to hear from us

2 minutes ago, Jjang said:

How are you holding these receipts against her? brit8

Rescue Me - literally a video-less single she never mentioned, promoted or performed reaching the top 10 dead1

Don't Cry For Me Argentina is a 5 minutes long ‎Orchestral song sis, it's legendary that it charted to begin with brit13

From the OP:

Literally these are not half as big as LAV/LAP/MG/LIB/Vogue and they spent like x2 the weeks in the top 10. It's clear that chart runs drastically changed with the times, it just happens that in this particular list it negatively affects her. I don't understand why you're pretending like it's such a big deal when she still has more weeks in the top 10 than Janet/MJ/Whitney/Prince etc 

She's deemed the biggest artist of all time because her achievements on a worldwide scale are unmatched. She pretty much killed her US career with AL in 2003. No fan will tell you otherwise so I don't understand what kind of revelation you want to hear from us

I'm not holding them, they're just out there along with other fave's chart history on ATRL? brit8 

And everything you're saying is irrelevant. Nowhere did I mention that any of the song in the OP were bigger than said song, I'm simply comparing chart runs. brit13 

Her chart runs are not that impressive, especially her albums. Post-80s, her albums have STRUGGLED to stay more than 10 weeks in the top 10. 

3 minutes ago, Jjang said:

It's very convenient you left this out btw

Madonna - 224 weeks

Janet - 215 weeks

Whitney Houston - 185 weeks

Micheal Jackson - 160 weeks

Prince - 119 weeks

Britney Spears - 77 weeks creep1

What is this? rip4 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply