Sign in to follow this  

The Queen VS The Princess

The Queen VS The Princess  

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who is better overall?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/23/2020 at 10:00 PM

31 minutes ago, BreatheeOnKnee said:

Madonna has a lot of great videos like Bedtime Stories, Frozen, Fever, Human Nature, Hollywood etc.  moo4 Like a prayer comes to mind but it's actually quite corny moo4 most of her videos aren't that special or above your average popstar. I mean most of britney's videos aren't that special either but she serves choreo to make up for it so i voted for her. Overall i'd say their tied, Madonna has probably 3x as many videos as Britney anyway

Whose videos would you say are special? moo2

12 minutes ago, STJ said:

Whose videos would you say are special? moo2

If i have to think of an artist where nearly every video is creative and artistic it would be Bjork.

16 minutes ago, STJ said:

Maybe I worded wrongly, Madonna has cute videos, but not many are as iconic as Oops or BOMT or Toxic.

Britney is not that much of a puppet as many people make it out to be. The whole BOMT video was completely her idea, her director said the same thing. They were gonna make it a cartoon, and if that happened, no way would Britney happened.

She doesn't write many songs, but neither have Celine or Whitney, it doesn't make them any less artistic than Madonna. How you sing the songs require artistry. The producers may suggest britney how to sing, but she has to use artistry to get it right. People act like she's Rebecca Black who just sings flatly and get autotuned and get hits.

That's a better way of putting it, though I do disagree with a lot of it.

An artist who has all their songs written for them with minimal input besides singing is objectively less artistic than those directly involved in the songwriting process.

Maybe I'm just more sensitive to these things, because I kind of had a moment recently with Whitney's first two albums where I realized "wow these songs... aren't good" she completely makes them her own with her voice, but god damn were they basic even for 80s standards rip4

Britney is also definitely a puppet if we're talking post-Blackout. Even Glory which is a "return to form" is still notably more controlled than what Britney was serving during her prime. It just feels fresh because she sounds like she wants to sing again instead of letting letting the audio engineering (or ghost singers) do all the work.

Anyways, if you value choreo then yeah Britney would be more your cup of tea and that's fine, but there's way more to a good music video than just some choreo tbh

1 minute ago, BreatheeOnKnee said:

If i have to think of an artist where nearly every video is creative and artistic it would be Bjork.

I highkey agree oprah15 I think Bjork is one of those artists where I can say whose artistry is above others... 

1 minute ago, Strobo said:

That's a better way of putting it, though I do disagree with a lot of it.

An artist who has all their songs written for them with minimal input besides singing is objectively less artistic than those directly involved in the songwriting process.

Maybe I'm just more sensitive to these things, because I kind of had a moment recently with Whitney's first two albums where I realized "wow these songs... aren't good" she completely makes them her own with her voice, but god damn were they basic even for 80s standards rip4

Britney is also definitely a puppet if we're talking post-Blackout. Even Glory which is a "return to form" is still notably more controlled than what Britney was serving during her prime. It just feels fresh because she sounds like she wants to sing again instead of letting letting the audio engineering (or ghost singers) do all the work.

Anyways, if you value choreo then yeah Britney would be more your cup of tea and that's fine, but there's way more to a good music video than just some choreo tbh

If we all have this mentality, we would all be stanning Beck who writes, plays instruments, sings and produces all his own songs. dead2 

Some songs are great even if not written by the singer, example would be I will always love you and Beautiful by xtina, you just can't imagine anyone else singing them. 

It's not that i value choreo more than actual artistry, it just appears that Britney's videos are more fun to watch than Madonna's. Madonna's videos don't strike me as being highly "artistic" like Bjork's or like a short film as Moira claimed them to be.

Just now, STJ said:

I highkey agree oprah15 I think Bjork is one of those artists where I can say whose artistry is above others... 

If we all have this mentality, we would all be stanning Beck who writes, plays instruments, sings and produces all his own songs. dead2 

Some songs are great even if not written by the singer, example would be I will always love you and Beautiful by xtina, you just can't imagine anyone else singing them. 

It's not that i value choreo more than actual artistry, it just appears that Britney's videos are more fun to watch than Madonna's. Madonna's videos don't strike me as being highly "artistic" like Bjork's or like a short film as Moira claimed them to be.

I mean, I stan Prince don't I?

Jokes aside you're completely right, what I value most in music is the artist just... Doing what the artist wants to do. If I cared so much about "do everything yourself or it isn't good!!!" I wouldn't be stanning Kylie, would I?

And Madonna absolutely is not on Bjork's level, she brings it with pretty much every single release and I can admire that.

It's just hard for me to imagine someone like Britney being held over Madonna in the videos department because Britney simply does not have the range or concepts the way Madonna does.

To each their own tbh

• Debut Era: Britney
  • Peak: Britney - no one can top her peak tbh. Biggest artist to ever exist in her prime.
  • Artistry: Probably Madonna
  • Comebacks (Plural since they both have more than one): Britney. The comeback after her breakdown is iconic.
  • Sales: Madonna, but a really unfair comparison.
  • Vocals: Britney
  • Videography: Britney 
  • Impact and Legacy: Britney 
  • Overall Career: Britney

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9520dfa8d4866a51450bc

3 hours ago, Strobo said:

It's just hard for me to imagine someone like Britney being held over Madonna in the videos department because Britney simply does not have the range or concepts the way Madonna does.

Thank you. 

The difference is that Madonna has a wide range of videos that are artistically triumphant (directing, visuals, camera work, concepts, storytelling, originality with the ideas) that transcend the "hey look at me I'm a Pop star with flashy visuals and I'm going to dance for you" experience that Britney caters to. 

On the contrary to popular (stupid) belief. Madonna does not pick her videos based on visual flash and how fancy it looks. She's searching for ideas and statements to make and literally 80% of her videos are that but people pretend like they got Madonna figured out to her core 'cause they watched LAP (and still probably only half got it)

Voting has closed and the winner is:

156798.gif

Madonna

I'll see if I can create one later i the day. If not, then I'll post it tomorrow

On 7/22/2020 at 11:57 PM, Lynk said:
  • Debut Era
  • Peak
  • Artistry
  • Comebacks (Plural since they both have more than one)
  • Sales
  • Vocals
  • Videography
  • Impact and Legacy
  • Overall Career

Debut: i enjoyed more Britney's debut.

Peak: Britney, biggest peak ever

Artistry: probably Madge

Combcaks: both tied,

Sales: Madge

Vocals: Madge, but Britney is good though

Videos: both

Impact: Madge, there's no denying Britney has been very influential too

Overall: I like Britney more :)

I Said What I Said Nene Leakes GIF in 2020 | Reactions meme ...

On 7/23/2020 at 12:53 AM, BreatheeOnKnee said:

(Madonna's legacy is tarnished by her desperate attempts in recent years and just tons of bad decisions in her personal life)

it tranished her REPUTATION, not her impact LOL

On 7/23/2020 at 12:29 AM, Vesper said:

DANCING / CHOREOGRAPHY - Britney. Why is this not a category? brit4 

DANCING / CHOREOGRAPHY I'd say both are tied. But ur entitiled your opinion though and yeah it's missed!

On 7/23/2020 at 12:53 AM, BreatheeOnKnee said:

Brit is clearly more talented but Madonna ventured more in her career and experimented more.

Well, i think brit is very talented, but Madge is talented too but no Brit is not more talented. Both are talented tbh

I Said What I Said Nene Leakes GIF in 2020 | Reactions meme ...

still ur entitiled your opinion though!

On 7/23/2020 at 1:18 AM, Strobo said:

Britney vs Rihanna or Britney vs Gaga

Brit would win either way. Gaga is more talented though and comes close. Rihanna..... no comment!

• Debut Era - Britney. Madonna's debut was decent but she didn't really pop until Like A Virgin, whereas Baby One More Time made Britney an instant phenomena.
  • Peak - Commercially, they're about tied. Artistically, Madonna.
  • Artistry - Madonna.
  • Comebacks (Plural since they both have more than one) - Madonna. Her, Cher and Tina are still the only 3 divas to have successful commercial comebacks in their 40s. The early millennium girls are either approaching 40 soon or are already 40+ so we'll see if any of them can do it in this decade.
  • Sales - Madonna
  • Vocals - Madonna
  • Videography - both have iconic videographies but Madonna takes the edge for the many different artistic directions she mastered in her first 20 years, plus she has some statement pieces.
  • Impact and Legacy - Madonna. I can't think of an aspect of culture or society she didn't impact to some degree.
  • Overall Career - Madonna. She's a legitimate "your faves fav" type of act because she was first for many things and she went from strength to strength for a long time.

Debut Era – Madonna. Yes, Britney's debut was bigger, commercially, but that's not really the intention of this question, right? Madonna's debut album is a quintessential 80s work. Britney's debut has had little impact in hindsight (the single alone is another story)

Peak – Madonna. (But it's close?)

Artistry – Madonna

Comebacks (Plural since they both have more than one) – Madonna. Britney's was really fantastic to see, but I don't think she has been able to really pull herself completely out of the dark that started in 2007. Madonna was able to pull herself out of a few commercial/critical jams.

Sales – M

Vocals – Madonna

Videography – Madonna

Impact and Legacy – Madonna

Overall Career – Madonna.

Sorry Britney. I honestly thought she would win at least one of these but... mad8 

The only bizarre thing is people saying Britney has better videography.  fall4

On 7/22/2020 at 8:59 PM, Moira O'Hara said:

Oh Father, Bad Girl, Papa Don't Preach, Take a Bow, all serving short films realness, meaningful music videos with storyline. Bedtime Story, Vogue, Frozen, The Power of Goodbye, Girl Gone Wild, Medellin, God Control, Ghosttow, Express Yourself, Die Another Day, Erotica, the visuals, the cinematography, the excellence. Batuka, Secret, Like a Prayer, Dark Ballet, the messages, the cinematography, the budget.

ZlFGCVS.gif

On 7/22/2020 at 9:02 PM, Strobo said:

Girl just say you don't like Madonna and go.

One of these artists has a music video in the Museum of Modern Art, and the other doesn't.

Just because YOU think she doesn't have good videos, doesn't make it truthful. Britney wishes she could have a videography as diverse and acclaimed as Madonna's

oprah14

Sign in to follow this  

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.