Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Holiest Dreams

Press Release: Folklore 1.3M+ first day globally, more streaming records

Edy82n8UMAAAiNm?format=jpg&name=large

- Female Spotify Recod

- Pop Album Record for Apple Music (I think TUN previously held it)

- Amazon Indie/Alt record (Lover holds the pop one)

Sales breakdown is probably something like 550k China (confirmed), 400K US (estimate) & 350k rest of the world.

5 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

Sis it went diamond before it was even released. Her fanbase in China is huge rip4 

This is the first time i realize she's that big in China, i didn't even know. rip3 

3 hours ago, Urbanov said:

Sis it went diamond before it was even released. Her fanbase in China is huge rip4 

Wait really? That's gotta be a record or something...

15 minutes ago, Lynk said:

Wait really? That's gotta be a record or something...

It takes 400k copies for an album outside of China to be certified diamond tho

25 minutes ago, Urbanov said:

China has too many people for it to be that easy to go diamond. 

20 minutes ago, Miss Movin' On said:

How do they break down the users that "paid" for the album and those "listened" by some "spotify family account" and those that "listened" by their own "paid" streaming account?

Honestly no clue, I guess Spotify just reports the numbers broken down to them? Or, well, labels probs have access to those insights. As for the paid ones they just track it via iTunes. They probably have insights there as well, labels or artists' teams, or both. It's confusing lol lol3 

This says that the figures are actually excluding China, but I'm not sure. Either way though, she's MASSIVE in China. Folklore is already the 4th best selling Western album in the country in the first day of sales, surpassing TU, N. The top 3 are Lover, Reputation & 1989. Lover is 3x Diamond.

16 hours ago, Urbanov said:

15 hours ago, Lynk said:

China has too many people for it to be that easy to go diamond. 

This is true, but we need to remember that China's music industry's selling power isn't actually that big. Pirating is still very much rampant and not cracked down nearly enough, so certifications are adjusted accordingly. Similar like how in India (1.3B pop) only 200k sales are needed for a Platinum certification, in Indonesia (267m pop) only 75k sales are needed for Platinum & how in Brazil (210m pop) only 80k sales are needed for Platinum & 300k to go Diamond.

To put into perspective: the best-selling album of all time in China is by a Chinese boyband. It's sold 3 million copies. Lover is China's 8th best-selling album of all time, with 1.75m, with Reputation tailing at 9th and 1989 at 10th. She is also the only Western artist with an album in the Top 20. 

So more population doesn't always equal more sales. Other factors, including socioeconomic factors, are also taken into account. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.