Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Autumn Variations

Does Gen Z (mostly) manipulate the Top 200 now?

So I'm a Gen Z and I was wondering if my generation is now manipulating the top 200 as of now. I feel like that my classmates (who are also Gen Z) listen to more modern rap nowadays, which is why you would see more modern rap in the top 10. Do you think this generation is affecting the way you see the top 200 now?

49 minutes ago, mylifelies said:

I feel like that my classmates (who are also Gen Z) listen to more modern rap nowadays, which is why you would see more modern rap in the top 10. 

And isn't this logic ? Why do you call manipulation when the logic of people listening to songs is them getting higher on charts? 

Charts have always been manipulated by the industry through every loophole it's just now it's with a genre y'all dont like.

The charts overall but this has been a regular thing. Every generation of kids, teens and young adults have had this control over the charts. It's just that this is more evident now with streams and apps like Tik Tok

I wouldn’t call it manipulating but with the new streaming rules, songs are skyrocketing to the top undeservedly. Songs that maybe would’ve been no. 20 at best in the 90s/2000s are going top 10 because of YouTube and TikTok. Soundcloud rappers should not be topping any charts yet here we are fall5

Of course it's teens/young adults ruling the charts, it's always been that way.

Now, the control is just a lot more direct and easier because of streaming. Radio payola and aggressive single discounts (usually) won't cause an artist to be dominant anymore, and stations also can't shut out what they don't like either.

While the quality of the music might be debatable, it's definitely a more organic look of what people actually are listening to.

...How those songs will hold up in the future is a another story.

imagine thinking independent artists writing and recording their own music and uploading it onto soundcloud is less deserving of chart success then manufactured pop star hits rip4 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.