Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Michael.

Is streaming underestimated by stans?

Ever since we've entered the era of streaming, it has been very often discredited and undermined...

But does streaming truly make it easier for artists to achieve success like some stans have claimed in the past? bey4

I feel like it's even harder for artists to breakthrough nowadays because the industry is oversaturated with new artists now that music is more accessible than ever with streaming.

People move on to the next song/artist much quicker, people consume music faster and longevity is harder to achieve.

What are your thoughts?

aBGdetu.gif

yes. Like..charts are suppose to represent what the masses are consuming, and if that means a top 10 full of rap/trap songs that gets the phags fuming and reminiscing on when their hasbeen fav used to rule the charts in 1989, then so be it

stream/buy your favs music more or start a tik tok challenge and maybe, just MAYBE, people will care enough to stream them.  If not, thats their problem. Adapt or get left behind. sorry1 

in my opinion, streaming is pretty much like what radio used to be, my issue with the streaming and the charts is the weird way they try to mix sales + streaming, I think It will make more sense and will be easier to understand two independent charts instead of one messy one merging several categories that don't blend well together like the hot 100 messy charts.

31 minutes ago, Robi said:

Streaming and sales charts should be separate for songs and albums

23 minutes ago, Mistress 9 said:

in my opinion, streaming is pretty much like what radio used to be, my issue with the streaming and the charts is the weird way they try to mix sales + streaming, I think It will make more sense and will be easier to understand two independent charts instead of one messy one merging several categories that don't blend well together like the hot 100 messy charts.

separating the charts would defeat the purpose of the charts dead1 the hot 100/bb 200 and what not are suppose to measure the most popular songs/albums in the country for a given week... if you separate the charts, that concept ceases to exist. Billboard has figured out a formula using real data to weight out the stream/sales point ratio. There’s no reason to believe that this point system is skewed... It’s not like they just made it out of thin air. Also, we already have charts that seperate streaming/sales. There’s no need to segregate the others. 

Also, radio is nothing like streaming. People willingly go out of their way to stream music, while with radio, the same thing doesn't happen. Sure, songs can be heavy play-listed on streaming services, but that doesnt guarantee streams (and theres countless of examples that prove this). Radio, on the other hand, can easily artificially inflate a songs popularity and hijack the charts (via tactics like radio deals and payola). There’s a reason so many “big radio hits” have mediocre streams/sales. Streaming has given artists the ability to bypass the radio machine and let the public decide what is actually the most popular. 

38 minutes ago, Gilly said:

yes. Like..charts are suppose to represent what the masses are consuming, and if that means a top 10 full of rap/trap songs that gets the phags fuming and reminiscing on when their hasbeen fav used to rule the charts in 1989, then so be it

stream/buy your favs music more or start a tik tok challenge and maybe, just MAYBE, people will care enough to stream them.  If not, thats their problem. Adapt or get left behind. sorry1 

be a clown and maybe, just MAYBE, people will care enough to stream them*

30 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Not to mention streaming is a more accurate representation of what people are truly listening to on the long-term. sorry1 

When someone bought a single in its first week of release, it wasn’t guaranteed they would still be listening to it in its 5th week of release because you can’t keep track of the amount of plays a bought single gets. Whereas with streaming, people have to be interested in your song for weeks to keep it charting and not just buy it once and never use it again. sorry1 

1 minute ago, Moira O'Hara said:

Of course a fossil wouldnt understand the significance of streaming dead1 Literally clueless. 

1 minute ago, Michael. said:

Not to mention streaming is a more accurate representation of what people are truly listening to on the long-term. sorry1 

When someone bought a single in its first week of release, it wasn’t guaranteed they would still be listening to it in its 5th week of release because you can’t keep track of the amount of plays a bought single gets. Whereas with streaming, people have to be interested in your song for weeks to keep it charting and not just buy it once and never use it again. sorry1 

Period. sorry1 

3 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

Why does Tik Tok makes you a clown? It’s not even that bad and a fun platform for creators. 

But obviously you can’t get with the times. whit2

Just now, Gilly said:

1 separating the charts would defeat the purpose of the charts dead1 the hot hot 100/bb 200 and what not are suppose to measure the most popular songs/albums in the country for a single week... if you separate the charts, that concept ceases to exist.

2 Billboard has figured out a formula using real data to weight out the stream/sales point ratio. There’s no reason to believe that this point system is skewed... It’s not like they just made it out of thin air.

3 Also, radio is nothing like streaming. People willingly go out of their way to stream music, while with radio, the same thing doesn't happen. Sure, songs can be heavy play-listed on streaming services, but that doesnt guarantee streams (and theres countless of examples that prove this). Radio, on the other hand, can easily over inflate a songs popularity and hijack the charts (via tactics like radio deals and payola). There’s a reason so many “big radio hits” have mediocre streams/sales. Streaming has given artists the ability to bypass the radio machine and let the public decide what is actually the most popular. 

1.- yes I want them appart we can have 2 differnet charts one for streaming and one for sales, if streaming is king now I see no need to keep the sales with the streaming numbers. the number one song in streaming is what rules the country, and then you can focus on your market as a streaming artist, and the same goes for sales, it gets easier to read and UNDERSTAND the data.

2.- Billboard charts are surely not created from thin air, but they are proven to be not as good at measuring sales with their ever changing rules, we have plenty of bad measuring in the hot 100 and the albums chart, e.g. Britney's Blackout outcharted by The Eagles for some last minute change of their rules, or Gaga peaking within the Top ten thanks to Youtube commercials. with a song no one but her stans remember.

3.- exactly that, if you have the free service you listen what the platform wants, (only 6 skips? shitty), some artist are so anoyingly promoted like Drake EVERYWHERE in banners, paylists and whatnot.

1 minute ago, Gilly said:

Of course a fossil wouldnt understand the significance of streaming dead1 Literally clueless. 

I didn't highlight the streaming part in your post but the TikTok part, focus luv, classic Little Fossil . dead1 Literally clueless.

1 minute ago, Michael. said:

Why does Tik Tok makes you a clown? It’s not even that bad and a fun platform for creators. 

But obviously you can’t get with the times. whit2

And? rih10 I don't think it should affect the charts. 

42 minutes ago, Mistress 9 said:

The only chart that deserves to separate streaming from pure sales is the Billboard 200, but not the Hot 100.

Because I agree that sometimes it doesn’t make sense when an album that has more pure sales is blocked by another album which is only being boosted by one or two songs that are getting streamed a lot.  But that’s the only case where I could agree with your point. 

1 minute ago, Mistress 9 said:

1.- yes I want them appart we can have 2 differnet charts one for streaming and one for sales, if streaming is king now I see no need to keep the sales with the streaming numbers. the number one song in streaming is what rules the country, and then you can focus on your market as a streaming artist, and the same goes for sales, it gets easier to read and UNDERSTAND the data.

2.- Billboard charts are surely not created from thin air, but they are proven to be not as good at measuring sales with their ever changing rules, we have plenty of bad measuring in the hot 100 and the albums chart, e.g. Britney's Blackout outcharted by The Eagles for some last minute change of their rules, or Gaga peaking within the Top ten thanks to Youtube commercials. with a song no one but her stans remember.

3.- exactly that, if you have the free service you listen what the platform wants, (only 6 skips? shitty), some artist are so anoyingly promoted like Drake EVERYWHERE in banners, paylists and whatnot.

you do know theres already a separate chart for streaming and sales, right? If you are referring to splitting the hot 100/bb200 into 2, then no, that will never happen because AGAIN, that literally defeats the purpose of the chart dead1 whats not clicking

as to your other points - I already addressed them in the post you quoted. Playlisting/Banners does not guarantee streams. If that was the case, any artist would be able to top and smash the charts. As for Drake, he’s heavily play listed and promoted because he’s literally the biggest artist of the last 10 years dead2 and even if he wasnt, he would STILL demolish the charts. dead2 You clearly arent in touch with the times if you think that the reason Drake gets so many streams is because of banners and playlisting dead1 

9 minutes ago, Mistress 9 said:

1.- yes I want them appart we can have 2 differnet charts one for streaming and one for sales, if streaming is king now I see no need to keep the sales with the streaming numbers. the number one song in streaming is what rules the country, and then you can focus on your market as a streaming artist, and the same goes for sales, it gets easier to read and 

1.Actually streaming counts only a portion of what gets to the top. A song can go #1 only on streaming yes but for LONGETIVITY an artist has to have a decent ratio of all things that count: streams, sales, radio and YouTube. Also for all the backlash people give to streaming the biggest hits are still the radio ones: The Weekend's Blinding Lights and Post Malone's Circles. These ruled radio. Billboard counts all these ( streams, radio, youtube, sales) bcuz it takes account of all the ways music is consumed nowadays.

3. Even with all that promotion you can still CHOOSE to NOT give Drake your streams whereas with radio you can choose to change the channel and not listen to Drake but the spins will still count wether or not YOU listened to them. He still got the spins. 

5 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

I didn't highlight the streaming part in your post but the TikTok part, focus luv, classic Little Fossil . dead1 Literally clueless.

Tik tok doesn't affect the charts. The streams from tik tok aren't counted. It just makes people intersted in a song and then they go stream on a music platform. It's literally a form of promotion like TV once was. 

10 minutes ago, GlenCoco said:

Serious question, how much does streaming helps a song?

how much of a difference is buying a song vs streaming it?

Sales are (way) more heavily weighed than streams. I think that 1000 streams is = 1 sale, but dont quote me on that 

9 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

OK boomer, look below: 

1 minute ago, Gravity said:

Tik tok doesn't affect the charts. The streams from tik tok aren't counted. It just makes people intersted in a song and then they go stream on a music platform. It's literally a form of promotion like TV once was. 

Literally clueless. dead1 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.