Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Michael.

Is streaming underestimated by stans?

But problem is that older generation of music fans and artists will never have chance to chart anywhere for longer than one week ...let alone chart on single charts... ageism at its best... who gives a f word about what people listen considering that hip hop and rap music is dominated by up to 25 yo people...

Artists that actually have real hits smashes could’ve charted if not streaming but when they release CD singles signed vinyls etc they are getting penalised and called cheaters etc to get some decent spots on the charts if any... same thing comes to digital albums bundles etc...

this game is not fair for many ...that’s what streaming did to music industry... but younger generation sees only easy and cheap way of consuming their favourite music or artists... don’t blame them but then again what about older, independent without major label behind them , less known artists that can’t get through... 

11 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

I didn't highlight the streaming part in your post but the TikTok part, focus luv, classic Little Fossil . dead1 Literally clueless.

And? rih10 I don't think it should affect the charts. 

Not you calling someone clueless but then proceeding to reveal you don’t know how charts work nicki5 

5 minutes ago, Gilly said:

you do know theres already a separate chart for streaming and sales, right? If you are referring to splitting the hot 100/bb200 into 2, then no, that will never happen because AGAIN, that literally defeats the purpose of the chart dead1 whats not clicking

as to your other points - I already addressed them in the post you quoted. Playlisting/Banners does not guarantee streams. If that was the case, any artist would be able to top and smash the charts. As for Drake, he’s heavily play listed and promoted because he’s literally the biggest artist of the last 10 years dead2 and even if he wasnt, he would STILL demolish the charts. dead2 You clearly arent in touch with the times if you think that the reason Drake gets so many streams is because of banners and playlisting dead1 

as, I said before yes I know they exist, that's why I don't see the need of the hot 100

Can you please tell where I'm stating that Drake gets so many streams because banners vs what I have ACTUALLY said that it was annoying to see his face everywhere?

17 minutes ago, GlenCoco said:

Serious question, how much does streaming helps a song?

how much of a difference is buying a song vs streaming it?

Billboard will give the same weight to YouTube streams as it does to those from Apple, Spotify or any other platform: 1,250 clicks from a paying subscriber — or 3,750 clicks from a nonpaying user — are counted as the equivalent of one album sale that's what I found for albums, not sure about singles.

2 minutes ago, Gilly said:

OK boomer, look below: 

Literally clueless. dead1 

Boomer you were waiting for someone else to post that and then you quoted, don't act like you knew. rih7

4 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Tik tok doesn't affect the charts. The streams from tik tok aren't counted. It just makes people intersted in a song and then they go stream on a music platform. It's literally a form of promotion like TV once was. 

I remember seeing these articles shared on Twitter and based on the titles i thought it was affected the charts. gaga4

https://www.insider.com/billboard-hot-100-tiktok-dance-challenge-drake-doja-cat-weeknd-2020-4

https://www.axios.com/tiktok-say-so-doja-cat-nicki-minaj-billboard-number-1-1541d7be-f8b1-4a75-bf78-7099b036ee0a.html

Anyways i still don't like this plaform that much. gaga11

3 minutes ago, Robi said:

But problem is that older generation of music fans and artists will never have chance to chart anywhere for longer than one week ...let alone chart on single charts... ageism at its best... who gives a f word about what people listen considering that hip hop and rap music is dominated by up to 25 yo people...

Artists that actually have real hits smashes could’ve charted if not streaming but when they release CD singles signed vinyls etc they are getting penalised and called cheaters etc to get some decent spots on the charts if any... same thing comes to digital albums bundles etc...

this game is not fair for many ...that’s what streaming did to music industry... but younger generation sees only easy and cheap way of consuming their favourite music or artists... don’t blame them but then again what about older, independent without major label behind them , less known artists that can’t get through... 

This is bullshit though. 

The music industry is always changing so streaming didn’t ruin anything, just like when the music industry went from physical copies to digital copies. It’s not the first time music consumption changes, there have always been artists who couldn’t transition successfully into the different eras of music. It didn’t begin with streaming.

Just because some artists couldn’t keep up, it doesn’t mean streaming should be discredited. 

1 minute ago, Mistress 9 said:

as, I said before yes I know they exist, that's why I don't see the need of the hot 100

Can you please tell where I'm stating that Drake gets so many streams because banners vs what I have ACTUALLY said that it was annoying to see his face everywhere?

who cares if it annoys you? that literally has nothing to do with the topic dead1 

and the hot 100 is necessary because it measures the most popular songs OVERALL (key word: overall) in a single week. You cant have a chart that accurately measures the overall performance of songs without all the modes of consumptions included (youtube, spotify, sales etc). If it bothers you that much, ignore it and focus on the segregated sales/stream charts.. like I dont get the problem brit4 

3 minutes ago, Moira O'Hara said:

Boomer you were waiting for someone else to post that and then you quoted, don't act like you knew. rih7

I remember seeing these articles shared on Twitter and based on the titles i thought it was affected the charts. gaga4

https://www.insider.com/billboard-hot-100-tiktok-dance-challenge-drake-doja-cat-weeknd-2020-4

https://www.axios.com/tiktok-say-so-doja-cat-nicki-minaj-billboard-number-1-1541d7be-f8b1-4a75-bf78-7099b036ee0a.html

Anyways i still don't like this plaform that much. gaga11

why would i think that tik tok streams count toward streaming points? i literally said “buy your favs music more or start a tik tok challenge and maybe, just MAYBE, people will care enough to stream them.”

Literally worms dead1 

1 minute ago, Gilly said:

who cares if it annoys you? that literally has nothing to do with the topic dead1 

and the hot 100 is necessary because it measures the most popular songs OVERALL (key word: overall) in a single week. You cant have a chart that accurately measures the overall performance of songs without all the modes of consumptions included (youtube, spotify, sales etc). If it bothers you that much, ignore it and focus on the segregated sales/stream charts.. like I dont get the problem brit4 

Like, you quoted  me the same goes for you bad bunny stan: If it bothers you that much, ignore it 

Am I speaking about streamin? yes so that has something to do with the topic, I'm explaining my issues with the charts and the streaming, if you are not capable enough to see the relation there is not on me...

Just now, Mistress 9 said:

Like, you quoted  me the same goes for you bad bunny stan: If it bothers you that much, ignore it 

Am I speaking about streamin? yes so that has something to do with the topic, I'm explaining my issues with the charts and the streaming, if you are not capable enough to see the relation there is not on me...

no one cares that drake banners annoy you and it is, in fact, irrelevant to the topic at hand but ok dead1 

18 minutes ago, Robi said:

The industry switching its attention to youth culture aka people that actually buy and stream records is not an effect of streaming and has happened ever since the 80s and inception of MTV. A platform and culture that benefited some of the faves of members here who are upset with the changes for how the youth consumes music nowadays. 

I mean you can't be upset of how and what teenagers consume nowadays when teenagers were actually the people who carried your faves careers in their first few years.

To address the OP: Nope, it's definitely not underestimated. People, especially teens/young adults know the power that streaming has. That's why a lot of stan accounts, along with their faves will encourage people to stream music. I do agree that it is really hard for a lot of artists to break out in the mainstream but this has been an issue for years now, not just in the streaming era

14 minutes ago, Lynk said:

To address the OP: Nope, it's definitely not underestimated. People, especially teens/young adults know the power that streaming has. That's why a lot of stan accounts, along with their faves will encourage people to stream music. I do agree that it is really hard for a lot of artists to break out in the mainstream but this has been an issue for years now, not just in the streaming era

I think that by underestimated, I meant that people take streaming for granted and belittle how hard it is to make it in the streaming age. 

People have claimed in the past that pure sales are more valuable etc. So this is where I was coming from, teens most definitely know streaming is important but that was not my point.

honestly streaming has made it harder for pop music to breakout. Singles stay in top ten for months now. 19 week #1s, 40 week top tens are like the new normal nicki5

and radio has gotten even worst with being selective and sales dont matter...so if your single doesn't do well within the first few weeks it's hard to really change anything. 

1 hour ago, Gravity said:

1.Actually streaming counts only a portion of what gets to the top. A song can go #1 only on streaming yes but for LONGETIVITY an artist has to have a decent ratio of all things that count: streams, sales, radio and YouTube. Also for all the backlash people give to streaming the biggest hits are still the radio ones: The Weekend's Blinding Lights and Post Malone's Circles. These ruled radio. Billboard counts all these ( streams, radio, youtube, sales) bcuz it takes account of all the ways music is consumed nowadays.

3. Even with all that promotion you can still CHOOSE to NOT give Drake your streams whereas with radio you can choose to change the channel and not listen to Drake but the spins will still count wether or not YOU listened to them. He still got the spins. 

yes, that's what I'm saying, that's why I think hot 100 is a mess, radio, streaming, sales, they are trying to measure so many things and at the end it makes no sense, It still feels like they are still trying to figure out how to incorporate streams to their old system, because note this, there are not teenagers trying to make sense of those charts, the rules should keep on changing.

yes and I choose not to, but I pay for the service and having spotify advertising that shit it's just annoying. 

The disdain for youth culture in here... damn grandpas get a grip dead1 Streaming is how most millennials (a generation where most are nearing or past their 30s by now btw) and gen z’s #1 of accessing music. Why wouldn’t the charts adjust to reflect that change? You do realize people were once upset that iTunes purchases counted towards the charts for the same exact reason so many of y’all are complaining right? 

Is streaming “unfair” to the older generation? Sure maybe but when has the music industry EVER been fair? Radio dj’s used to play the records from the labels that paid them the most, variety shows would only display artists who’s labels shoved the most money their way, iTunes would only advertise on their homepage the new releases who’s label gave the most money for promotion. If anything, streaming has made things MORE fair. Artists are being discovered at a very fast pace and skyrocketing over night. Tiktok is making independent artists become megastars. Streaming has allowed for the little man to win. Artists who radios, tv and award shows, etc wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole are bypassing all those roadblocks and becoming hit makers. Streaming has leveled the playing field for everyone. It no longer matters how much money your label has to promote you. You can now promote yourself to equal or greater success than the big players.

The only people I see complaining about streaming in 2020 are people who stan pop stars who simply couldn’t adapt to the new medium/weren’t gonna last this long to begin with. And tbh instead of complaining, you should honestly give streaming a try because your musical world will open right up to many artists you never would have stumbled across otherwise that you may love. Because right now it just looks like a bunch of old men yelling at kids to get off their lawn and talking about “back in my day, we would mass purchase songs at my local record store!” Get with the times or get over it, and that can be said to both artists and stans.

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

why would i think that tik tok streams count toward streaming points? i literally said “buy your favs music more or start a tik tok challenge and maybe, just MAYBE, people will care enough to stream them.”

Literally worms dead1 

You were at the thread the whole time and you replied to my post minutes after Gravitys post. dead1

1 hour ago, Mistress 9 said:

Billboard will give the same weight to YouTube streams as it does to those from Apple, Spotify or any other platform: 1,250 clicks from a paying subscriber — or 3,750 clicks from a nonpaying user — are counted as the equivalent of one album sale that's what I found for albums, not sure about singles.

didn't know that thanks <3

3,750 thats quite a lot tbh

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.