Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Shego

Is Harry Styles the new King of Pop?

His chart power is growing, his second album does way better than his first one, his singles serve longevity, his streaming power is decent too. I think the new King of Pop is here. What do you think? oprah11

Stream the song of summer 2020. oprah10

No. Just...no. He's not even doing pop-POP. Last I checked, both of the annoying Justins are still alive. One thing I wouldn't necessarily do is calling either of them over, because in the age of disco revivalism, who knows what Timberlake will do for his next music? Even for Bieber, he may try to do disco this time.

2 minutes ago, Tama said:

No. Just...no. He's not even doing pop-POP. Last I checked, both of the annoying Justins are still alive. One thing I wouldn't necessarily do is calling either of them over, because in the age of disco revivalism, who knows what Timberlake will do for his next music? Even for Bieber, he may try to do disco this time.

Who do you think the king of pop is than?

Just now, popmusiccritic said:

Who do you think the king of pop is than?

Timberlake? Ew, I know, but better him than Bieber. But I don't know, both aren't necessarily kings. They will always be "prince of pop" for pop culture imo.

The Weeknd is alive. Maybe he can be the "king of pop" for today's generation. He's been killing the game since forever, I feel. But this whole royals of pop labeling is just tired in 2020 (and moving forward) so there's that too.

10 hours ago, Tama said:

Timberlake? Ew, I know, but better him than Bieber. But I don't know, both aren't necessarily kings. They will always be "prince of pop" for pop culture imo.

The Weeknd is alive. Maybe he can be the "king of pop" for today's generation. He's been killing the game since forever, I feel. But this whole royals of pop labeling is just tired in 2020 (and moving forward) so there's that too.

Well Bruno Mars is an option if he'd release more frequently and was a media magnet more often

I believe he could but it's a little early to tell. To me, being a true music royal you've got to be more than just successful. You've got to become a pop culture mainstay, influence the trends of the industry, innovate, and break some new ground. Harry's not really had the chance to do that, at least not as a solo artist. I think he certainly could get to that point. He is in the pop culture history books for 1D for sure, but as a solo artist I think there's a way for him to go still. 

I honestly don't think we have a (living) King of Pop at the moment. There's not a male artist that has really ticked all of those boxes. 

There will never be another 'King of Pop'. That blueprint born and died with Michael Jackson.

HOWEVER I think that we really need more fresh references in pop music that can bring something different to the table. Specially male, since they're almost non-existent atm.

Right now I'm seeing more similarities with Robbie Williams: from a popular boy band, to a massive talented solo career that spans beyond pop. Harry is just two albums into his career, it's still too early to know. But he has the talent and time to evolve as an artist. alex1

PS.: Btw I don't even think that he sees himself as a pop artist, tho.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.