Chris Morlock

The Ellie Goulding stan taglist

@Max you were already in the list. At #2 ellie1

@Snowadded xo

2 hours ago, Max said:

Idk, the good sis has been quiet on the forums lately.

Maybe a fingering accident or something? @Chris Morlock

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Snow said:

Um why not
Let's harass the staff into giving the thread to you then

giphy.gif

I hate you both lmfao1

I’d consider myself a stan, but also a critical one; especially in response to her career progression, her EG.O songs and how little she’s publicly even promotes Brightest Blue in the past 4+ months. I don’t know why she’s never ever attracted a healthy, thriving online fanbase. It’s always been small pockets of people dotted around the internet. Dedicated fansites have always failed to exist in any meaningful way for her. 

Probably the “best” it had ever been were some tumblr accounts 8+ year ago. The official fan group page that was setup by her team prior to Brightest Blue was almost instantly abandoned by her, with not one obvious interaction since the initial creation.

I dislike the echo chamber that is her Instagram commenters and Twitter stan accounts which do nothing but say they love her and endlessly compliment LMLYD, Burn, HLWILY, Hate Me...it’s just honestly the worst and least artistically beautiful side of her content and while I don’t mean to gatekeep, I feel it undermines what she should be recognized for.

I love to think she’s better than most of her recent singles (obviously there’s a couple of exclusions) but at the same time, I find it harder to believe that the more she releases iffy, average and disposable collab songs. Such tracks mainly seem to be made for the charts or streaming algorithms rather than being made to exist as an extension of her artistry, which just furthers the cycle of people being less likely to be exposed to what I believe is her best stuff.

10 hours ago, Brutas said:

I’d consider myself a stan, but also a critical one; especially in response to her career progression, her EG.O songs and how little she’s publicly even promotes Brightest Blue in the past 4+ months. I don’t know why she’s never ever attracted a healthy, thriving online fanbase. It’s always been small pockets of people dotted around the internet. Dedicated fansites have always failed to exist in any meaningful way for her. 

Probably the “best” it had ever been were some tumblr accounts 8+ year ago. The official fan group page that was setup by her team prior to Brightest Blue was almost instantly abandoned by her, with not one obvious interaction since the initial creation.

I dislike the echo chamber that is her Instagram commenters and Twitter stan accounts which do nothing but say they love her and endlessly compliment LMLYD, Burn, HLWILY, Hate Me...it’s just honestly the worst and least artistically beautiful side of her content and while I don’t mean to gatekeep, I feel it undermines what she should be recognized for.

I love to think she’s better than most of her recent singles (obviously there’s a couple of exclusions) but at the same time, I find it harder to believe that the more she releases iffy, average and disposable collab songs. Such tracks mainly seem to be made for the charts or streaming algorithms rather than being made to exist as an extension of her artistry, which just furthers the cycle of people being less likely to be exposed to what I believe is her best stuff.

Oh wow, the absolute TEA

On 3/3/2021 at 11:03 PM, Brutas said:

Lemme add you sis hug1

On 3/3/2021 at 10:03 PM, Brutus said:

To be fair she did promote Brightest Blue to some extent. Obviously she was very limited in promoting it in other ways since it was released during the middle of a pandemic so I wouldn’t blame her too much on that. And it makes sense for her label to not continue pushing the album since it did so bad, commercially. There just weren’t any breakout singles that could’ve warranted the continued promotion of the album.

I do find it very odd how, even though she’s a pretty major artist who’s had huge hits, hasn’t cultivated a large fan base anywhere. It’s a fan base that is extremely scattered.

I remember following so many Ellie Goulding fan accounts on Tumblr, it was such an active fanbase. Don’t know if it’s still like that now but I highly doubt it.

I actually have seen a lot of criticism of her more “commercial” singles from fans on Instagram and Twitter. She even had to address it on both platforms when she was putting those songs out. They’re not all cupcakes lol (although there is a huge chunk of them that are).

She’s said many times that those songs are songs she wanted to make for fun and that she wanted to put them, without any pressure from her label. Sure you could argue they’re very obviously catered for playlists and radio but if that’s the direction she wants to take then she should by all means take it. They’re catchy songs and not necessarily bad, just something we’re not used to seeing from her. It’s important to note though that she still makes music that isn’t like that and that those songs are mere outliers that are unfairly picked apart and used to characterize or scrutinize the new direction of her music.

I firmly believe she’s still making great music and is just evolving as every artist does. It’s unrealistic to expect her to maintain the same musical style or image that she had when we all fell in love with her. 

11 hours ago, Starboy said:

To be fair she did promote Brightest Blue to some extent. Obviously she was very limited in promoting it in other ways since it was released during the middle of a pandemic so I wouldn’t blame her too much on that. And it makes sense for her label to not continue pushing the album since it did so bad, commercially. There just weren’t any breakout singles that could’ve warranted the continued promotion of the album.

I do find it very odd how, even though she’s a pretty major artist who’s had huge hits, hasn’t cultivated a large fan base anywhere. It’s a fan base that is extremely scattered.

I remember following so many Ellie Goulding fan accounts on Tumblr, it was such an active fanbase. Don’t know if it’s still like that now but I highly doubt it.

I actually have seen a lot of criticism of her more “commercial” singles from fans on Instagram and Twitter. She even had to address it on both platforms when she was putting those songs out. They’re not all cupcakes lol (although there is a huge chunk of them that are).

She’s said many times that those songs are songs she wanted to make for fun and that she wanted to put them, without any pressure from her label. Sure you could argue they’re very obviously catered for playlists and radio but if that’s the direction she wants to take then she should by all means take it. They’re catchy songs and not necessarily bad, just something we’re not used to seeing from her. It’s important to note though that she still makes music that isn’t like that and that those songs are mere outliers that are unfairly picked apart and used to characterize or scrutinize the new direction of her music.

I firmly believe she’s still making great music and is just evolving as every artist does. It’s unrealistic to expect her to maintain the same musical style or image that she had when we all fell in love with her. 

I won’t accept the pandemic as an excuse when Taylor, Dua Lipa and Olivia Rodrigo have managed to pull off successful campaigns with the same constraints. I thought How Deep Is Too Deep or Woman could’ve been great singles. Upbeat/emotional choices.

It’s just weird that all of her “fun” and “catchy” songs are literally not part of the main section of the album and considering they made up the large majority of singles released and least reflected the overall soundscape of the album…then why am I meant to look at most of those singles as anything but campaign killers?

It’s one thing to let your hair down and release some catchy and fun songs after doing some sad ones, to change the pace and mood or whatever - but her last album was kinda stated as that anyway? So all you end up with is an artistically meandering singer without an obvious goal except apparently releasing collab single after collab singles. Way to undermine a solo career.

To further show how toxic the EG.O singles were to her fanbase basically zero of those single’s popularity have transferred over to the album’s success. They make up 90%~ of the 19 tracklist’s streams. You’d think with over a billion total streams they would’ve converted some ears over to her new album, but no. They’ve made her almost disposable and just another voice on the radio or popular playlist.

The 1975’s Matt Healy was 110% right when he previously said the following: “The artists whose single streams are in the billions, people don’t buy their albums, necessarily… Ellie Goulding, people will listen to her music at the gym and they will listen to it on playlists”. History has now fully validated his statement.

It’s nice to think she’s still making good music, which she obviously is, but almost no-one’s hearing it because they’re much more likely to either hear and be put off by EG.O trash or those that do enjoy it will in all likelihood get major whiplash when going from EG.O songs to almost any song from Brightest Blue.

She’s created the worst of both worlds and has pleased almost no-one except her diehards that swear she does no wrong and blindly praise the success of Brightest Blue due to the EG.O’s singles streaming numbers.

17 hours ago, Brutus said:

I won’t accept the pandemic as an excuse when Taylor, Dua Lipa and Olivia Rodrigo have managed to pull off successful campaigns with the same constraints. I thought How Deep Is Too Deep or Woman could’ve been great singles. Upbeat/emotional choices.

I'm not gonna read the whole post as I'm too lazy ATM but some musicians just thrive in different environments than others ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

I'm not gonna read the whole post as I'm too lazy ATM but some musicians just thrive in different environments than others ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don’t think Ellie has been truly thriving as an album artist since Halcyon Days; even the big  pop girl Delirium had about a third as much staying power on the charts in comparison. She and her label seemingly put all their energy into getting Brightest Blue to number one in the U.K. and then proceeded to do basically nothing afterwards.

Even without the pandemic, she would’ve failed. She tried her best to be a streaming darling and she and her team were clueless on how to build an era off that. There was zero vision to the 18 month long campaign and it makes Ellie look like a desperate trend chaser than anything else.

It’s hard to look up to someone who doesn’t have a vision or an energy behind them, so it’s easy to see why people have gone elsewhere for their new favorites.

2 hours ago, Brutus said:

I don’t think Ellie has been truly thriving as an album artist since Halcyon Days; even the big  pop girl Delirium had about a third as much staying power on the charts in comparison. She and her label seemingly put all their energy into getting Brightest Blue to number one in the U.K. and then proceeded to do basically nothing afterwards.

Even without the pandemic, she would’ve failed. She tried her best to be a streaming darling and she and her team were clueless on how to build an era off that. There was zero vision to the 18 month long campaign and it makes Ellie look like a desperate trend chaser than anything else.

It’s hard to look up to someone who doesn’t have a vision or an energy behind them, so it’s easy to see why people have gone elsewhere for their new favorites.

To be fair, delirium was way too long and that could've turned people away/off. SITWYM as been said before could've been a smash. 
With the new era, I think she needs a new team. Or at least some replacements. Or a new label. Maybe that'll change things. 

3 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

To be fair, delirium was way too long and that could've turned people away/off. SITWYM as been said before could've been a smash. 
With the new era, I think she needs a new team. Or at least some replacements. Or a new label. Maybe that'll change things. 

SITWYM really would’ve been a smash hit if it had been promoted the way On My Mind had been promoted and treated.

I still hear the song being played in Target and other places from time to time! Also not to mention the music video for song that was released like two years later still racked up over 20 million views so I think that goes to show that people loved the song.