Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Ariana

Thoughts on 911 video?

3 hours ago, Jjang said:

I don't get how it's related to the song ... so I'll just wait till the 'meaning' dawns on me tbh 'cause as of now idgi bebe1

ok so u had a car crash (now this part in particular... like, wouldn't it make more sense if it were a suicide attempt?) and which lead to an artsy arbitrary fantasy flash moment...as if that concept wasn't already done better in like, the 30's? 20's? So yeah, can someone explain to me plz 

I mean it's not really difficult to understand if you're paying attention. 

The video takes place almost completely within her head as she's having a near death experience. People have been in situations like this (myself included) have noted in the midst of a situation like that your mind flies at a million miles a minute and what you think about often is random and strange. The entire video is telegraphing what's actually happening from the opening shot of her in the sand with the broken bike, the Zorro like character on horseback which is a reference to the cinema she's outside of, the desert setting which is the poster by the cinema, the guy banging his head on the pillow which is the driver in the accident hitting his head on the steering wheel, the guy with the umbrella and the nun are the paramedics and when she starts to float away, he pulls her back down to the ground (keeping her alive in the real world), the person being covered with the sparkly sheet is a body being covered, the chair she's sitting on in the "execution" scene is a body board  used to transport accident victims. 

The final minute literally sums up the entire video's premise, points you to every single clue the video left. I really don't know how much clearer it could be....unless of course you just didn't wanna see the meaning and rushed over here to drag it. 

And I mean this is you we're talking about so it's probably that. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

The video takes place almost completely within her head as she's having a near death experience. People have been in situations like this (myself included) have noted in the midst of a situation like that your mind flies at a million miles a minute and what you think about often is random and strange. The entire video is telegraphing what's actually happening from the opening shot of her in the sand with the broken bike, the Zorro like character on horseback which is a reference to the cinema she's outside of, the desert setting which is the poster by the cinema, the guy banging his head on the pillow which is the driver in the accident hitting his head on the steering wheel, the guy with the umbrella and the nun are the paramedics and when she starts to float away, he pulls her back down to the ground (keeping her alive in the real world), the person being covered with the sparkly sheet is a body being covered, the chair she's sitting on in the "execution" scene is a body board  used to transport accident victims. 

The final minute literally sums up the entire video's premise, points you to every single clue the video left. I really don't know how much clearer it could be....unless of course you just didn't wanna see the meaning and rushed over here to drag it. 

the explanation i needed. thank you for this king oprah15 

30 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

So... the concept I described already. There's nothing deeper than that? lol, what's the point then 

2 minutes ago, Jjang said:

So... the concept I described already. There's nothing deeper than that? lol, what's the point then 

Why does it have to be deeper? Why can't it just be something with cool visuals and a fun little clue hunt? not every music video has to be this deep, metaphor laden allegory for something profound. We as Madonna stans should know that better than anyone. You gotta have variety. 

Sometimes an artist wants to say something, sometimes they wanna have a little fun....there's nothing wrong with either. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

Why does it have to be deeper? Why can't it just be something with cool visuals and a fun little clue hunt? not every music video has to be this deep, metaphor laden allegory for something profound. We as Madonna stans should know that better than anyone. You gotta have variety. 

Sometimes an artist wants to say something, sometimes they wanna have a little fun....there's nothing wrong with either. 

That's a fair point and I already said in this thread: if it's your cup of tea, then good for you. Just don't pretend that it's anything more than that and we're fine. 

And with Gaga's case... she rarely says anything these days lol. I just thought well maybe in this supposedly personal ass song she was gonna give us some underlying insightful twist (message wise - which was always her thing) but nope. 

And we as Madonna fans know that it's also possible to serve  a plethora of visuals with mind blowing video treatments, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

49 minutes ago, harry said:

What's the point of what? ...art? Do we have to do this? Ugh. 

ELbj-Bjq-W4-AUG2-Ls.jpg

I just thought there was a deeper implication/message behind the 'arbitrary' scenes, why is that such a ludicrous thing to expect from a Lady Gaga music video of her most personal track?  burn1 Ok she has no ideas you win, happy? burn1

The direction is great but that's on the director. Singh is brilliant. 

the concept for the story comes from director Tarsem Singh Dhandwar, who shared the 25-year-old idea with Gaga

Welp lana4

13 minutes ago, Jjang said:

I just thought there was a deeper implication/message behind the 'arbitrary' scenes, why is that such a ludicrous thing to expect from a Lady Gaga music video of her most personal track?  burn1 Ok she has no ideas you win, happy? burn1

The direction is great but that's on the director. Singh is brilliant. 

Welp lana4

omg her music video director had a great.... direction... really? dead1  its his job, profession, and what he was hired to do dead1  so what if he shared an idea? that doesnt mean gaga had no input jj4   unless your crusty ass fav has ever directed and produced a top tier video all by herself (which im sure she has not) , stfu burn1  

5 minutes ago, Gilly said:

omg her music video director had a great.... direction... really? dead1  its his job, profession, and what he was hired to do dead1  so what if he shared an idea? that doesnt mean gaga had no input jj4   unless your crusty ass fav has ever directed and produced a top tier video all by herself (which im sure she has not) , stfu burn1  

ok but there's clearly different ways of collaborating with directors and this one just seems like someone else's idea that she just latched herself on (you know, the same thing everyone calls Bey a thief for lol) which is okay, but where's her input? Because if you haven't noticed by now, it's the lack of that I'm criticizing. 

If you're kind enough to let me know which idea/concept/whatever she contributed I'll be happy to focus on that. 

16 minutes ago, Jjang said:

ok but there's clearly different ways of collaborating with directors and this one just seems like someone else's idea that she just latched herself on (you know, the same thing everyone calls Bey a thief for lol) which is okay, but where's her input? Because if you haven't noticed by now, it's the lack of that I'm criticizing. 

If you're kind enough to let me know which idea/concept/whatever she contributed I'll be happy to focus on that. 

for starters, she contributed her song that she cowrote - which is the music video’s foundation um1 as for the specifics.. who knows? i wasnt on set, just like you werent on any of your favs sets. um1 Do you think your fav came/comes up with all of her music video concepts? The only reason you know 911 was an idea from the director is because Gaga told you. Otherwise, this wouldve been like any other music video released by any other artist - a collaboration between multiple professionals. The mental gymnastics of it all... dead1 

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

for starters, she contributed her song that she cowrote - which is the music video’s foundation um1 as for the specifics.. who knows? i wasnt on set, just like you werent on any of your favs sets. um1 Do you think your fav came/comes up with all of her music video concepts? The only reason you know 911 was an idea from the director is because Gaga told you. Otherwise, this wouldve been like any other music video released by any other artist - a collaboration between multiple professionals. The mental gymnastics of it all... dead1 

No... and Madonna herself says that she leaves the directing aspect (meaning the actual art direction...not the video treatment) to the director. For instance, she comes up with treatments or mere themes (such as: in the LAP video, it was her idea to include the black Jesus scene, the burning crosses and for the church to end up being the prison etc) and would collaborate with Mary Lambert, who is a professional at harnessing others' vision and making them artfully come to life. 

It's that part of Gaga that I have been missing and I'm simply saying that she had a sick ass opportunity to prove that she has an amazing mind with this video but she wasted it. That's my opinion - something this thread is asking for. If it triggers you that much then block me sis what are you waiting for burn1

Almost the entire arbitrary dream scenes were visually borrowed from The Color of the Pomegranates which also within its' plot lies the message synopsis of 911. So she really didn't add anything she just modelled on others ideas (even the film reference wasn't her idea). Just like Stupid Love was empty af, and so was ROM, concept + ideas wise. Even John Wayne, the heavily praised "recent" MV by her is just another jonas akerlund take on her "I keep chasing the guys who are bad for me - what if we kill them?" concept ala Judas ala Bad Romance ala Paparazzi ala Telephone etc etc so really in my eyes her last great music video was probably Born This Way or maaaybe Applause and ever since then she completely and I mean completely lost her creative juices. Sue me, bitch. 

The concept that she could have added is the car accident plot which just makes me think she made the video worse (in my eyes) burn1

I mean, take Express Yourself for instance - yes, the entire aesthetic and initial premise was based on Metropolis (which was her idea wink wink) but the concept + message of the video was something completely different aka ............ Madonna's contribution! got it? ;)

Again, if you enjoy it, then enjoy it. I don't care about your opinion lol, i don't see why you're so fucking triggered about mine. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.