Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Ariana

Thoughts on 911 video?

I love the nods to Parajanov and Tarsem Singh. Parajanov was a genius who celebrated his culture in a poetic and beautiful way, but there was something creepy and odd about it as well.

Gaga finally served after so many years. Can we finally agree that Rain On Me was shit?

11 hours ago, Jjang said:

it's just my fucking opinion hottie1

Sis, I love your googa clocking essays, but this time it seems forced bey10 

You're expecting her to be pull a Picasso-esque type of art, the last time she did that with Applause, it backfired on her because she's not at that calibre.

This video was simple, artistic, Alice-in-Wonderland-esque and effective in getting the message across. 

I adore it. The cinematography isn't the most original and it's not the most enticing FANTASY either. However, the clear reference to mental health issues is amazing. I was caught off guard when the REALITY scenes come on screen. It's a very fresh kind of visual coming from Gaga.

wait, so you’re faulting Gaga for basing a video concept on references but you brought the Metropolis reference for Madonna as a retort? How is being intentionally referential a BAD thing in and of itself? How is referencing the visuals of Color of Pomegranates while having a different message / concept for 911 different from Metropolis aesthetic with a different message / concept for Express Yourself? um1 

The double standards here @Jjang? brit4 You sound like you’re trying REALLY FUCKING HARD here. It’s NOT a cute look brit5

OT: I liked the video. Some really nice visuals and the story is clever. Clue hunting was fun. Not my favorite from Gaga but definitely a good video overall.

4 hours ago, Vesper said:

wait, so you’re faulting Gaga for basing a video concept on references but you brought the Metropolis reference for Madonna as a retort? How is being intentionally referential a BAD thing in and of itself? How is referencing the visuals of Color of Pomegranates while having a different message / concept for 911 different from Metropolis aesthetic with a different message / concept for Express Yourself? um1 

The double standards here @Jjang? brit4 You sound like you’re trying REALLY FUCKING HARD here. It’s NOT a cute look brit5

OT: I liked the video. Some really nice visuals and the story is clever. Clue hunting was fun. Not my favorite from Gaga but definitely a good video overall.

I'm literally over it by now and I don't care lana4 Y'all are really bad with handling others' opinions, almost as bad as your reading comprehensions. 

1) No, I never faulted Gaga, in fact, in this thread I noted multiple times that there's nothing wrong here, it's just my fucking personal opinion that she didn't do anything commendable or artistic beside picking a great director and modelled on his vision/idea. 

1) Once again, no? I literally argued the exact opposite - Madonna used the metropolis setting to symbolize invading masculine values and then built the storyline on that, which lead to a completely different message. Gaga, on the other hand, did exactly what the film itself does - portray real life events in abstract visual and poetic ways (the same visuals, really, the garden coffin, the leg rope, the death angel) and that was her synopsis, she didn't add anything valuable (IMO!!!!!) to the table by just connecting these scenes to her own "real life" events (aka the car accident). If you wanna join the mob of people calling her an artistic complex genius then go head I truly don't care smh. Had this film not been obscure and more mainstream and known, then maybe you'd see my point, if you don't, then again... I don't really care smh. I'm glad you enjoy it. 

4 hours ago, Jjang said:

I'm literally over it by now and I don't care lana4 Y'all are really bad with handling others' opinions, almost as bad as your reading comprehensions. 

1) No, I never faulted Gaga, in fact, in this thread I noted multiple times that there's nothing wrong here, it's just my fucking personal opinion that she didn't do anything commendable or artistic beside picking a great director and modelled on his vision/idea. 

1) Once again, no? I literally argued the exact opposite - Madonna used the metropolis setting to symbolize invading masculine values and then built the storyline on that, which lead to a completely different message. Gaga, on the other hand, did exactly what the film itself does - portray real life events in abstract visual and poetic ways (the same visuals, really, the garden coffin, the leg rope, the death angel) and that was her synopsis, she didn't add anything valuable (IMO!!!!!) to the table by just connecting these scenes to her own "real life" events (aka the car accident). If you wanna join the mob of people calling her an artistic complex genius then go head I truly don't care smh. Had this film not been obscure and more mainstream and known, then maybe you'd see my point, if you don't, then again... I don't really care smh. I'm glad you enjoy it. 

tenor.gif

Why are y'all pressed Jjang doesn't care for the video?

It's absolutely delusional to call Gaga some kind of an artistic genius, but she delivered and executed a concept and visuals and really that's all anyone was asking for from her since she moved away from pop.

Take the video or leave it depending on what you're looking for, but at the end of the day she made a proper video that had SOMETHING to it, which is more than we can say about anything since G.U.Y.

9 minutes ago, Strobo said:

Why are y'all pressed Jjang doesn't care for the video?

It's absolutely delusional to call Gaga some kind of an artistic genius, but she delivered and executed a concept and visuals and really that's all anyone was asking for from her since she moved away from pop.

Take the video or leave it depending on what you're looking for, but at the end of the day she made a proper video that had SOMETHING to it, which is more than we can say about anything since G.U.Y.

I agree & I already praised the art direction of it which def surprised me bebe1 I just don't see why people get swept away so quickly it's like it's so easy for her it's truly fascinating to me, she gets praised like some next level genius for doing a tiny bit more than the bare minimum while other Pop stars (def Katy & recently Bey) put in much greater and more detailed efforts only to be called a clown / thief ari7

This article explores this topic a bit & It's a great read! https://priceonomics.com/the-lady-gaga-effect-why-it-helps-to-be-eccentric/

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.