Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

LittleDudeNT5

Is the "Butterfly" album about Derek Jeter more than we thought?

So, this discussion involves topics that are talked about in The Meaning of Mariah Carey, but specifically details that were alluded to or
revealed in her interview in New York Magazine. So, if you'd rather wait until the memoir comes out to find out and speculate, then this
is your warning!

image.jpg

Anyway. I was reading her interview in New York Magazine, which gives us inklings on a lot of the stories she's going to tell in the memoir.
The article suggests that songs like "My All" and "The Roof" are about Derek Jeter. Now, if you guys don't know, Derek Jeter was M's first
boyfriend after her divorce from Tommy in summer '97, and they started dating very soon afterwards. Their relationship didn't last far too long,
since she was dating Luis Miguel by late 1998 or 99 (don't remember) – but it seemed to be pretty impactful. Some of the tracks on Rainbow
(like "Crybaby") are probably about him.

It was always my assumption that most of the album had been written before she really met or dated Jeter. I did, however, assume that
some of the sexier songs from the album were written with him in mind – songs like "Babydoll" and "Honey". We know that Mariah had
written and recorded the uptempos last, and we also know that she was working on and arranging the album very soon before the release
date. So, her dating Jeter and the recording of these sexy, uptempo songs overlaps and would make more sense.
(And, honestly for peace of mind, I didn't want to think "Honey" was about Tommy…)

However. It's apparently revealed (with few details) that Mariah had met and begun something of an affair with Jeter earlier than
they began publicly dating – when she was separated from Tommy, but still married to him. I always assumed "My All" was about
her struggling with her separation from Tommy. I also wrote a whole blog post about how "The Roof" was about her last night of
intimacy with Tommy, knowing then that their lives were on separate tracks and that their marriage was deteriorating to the point
it couldn't be saved. I also used the fact that the events of "The Roof" happened in November '96 – which I thought was too early
for her to have met Jeter – as evidence it was about Tommy.

BUT APPARENTLY, they had met by then. "The Roof" is about their first meeting, and "My All" is about how she literally
ran off to Puerto Rico to be with him. rih1

Obviously songs like "Butterfly" and "Whenever You Call" are still probably about Tommy, but now I'm looking at some of these
songs in a new light! What do ya'll think?

1 minute ago, StanLeeMusique said:

That’s why it has some of her best songs. Queen was finally free to speak her mind antm1

I think Butterfly is her best album and my favorite Mariah album. It really has some of her best songs. 

Honey, Butterfly, My All, The Roof, Breakdown, Outside, Whenever you call, Fly Away, 4th of July, Close My Eyes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

22 minutes ago, Gravity said:

I never thought about My All and The Roof as being about Tommy. These songs are so beautiful don't put these images in my mind rih1

I know what you mean, but I guess I only just assumed because most of the songs were about him/their split and he was basically her only lover since like '91. And, despite him being older (and unattractive ) Mariah obviously had hopes for the marriage and loved him (or, at least believed she loved him at the time)

But now it seems like you were right not to think it. rih1 I always knew Jeter's Honey was sweet. bey1

23 hours ago, Bionic-AHHH! said:

As matter of fact, now she got me thinking that the title track is also about him rather than about Mottola.

I think that one, at least, is most definitely about Tommy. It was what she wanted to hear from him. Though, Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise) was actually written first so it could just be more about how she felt about herself/what she needed to do. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.