Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

Be Honest About Smile Y'all.

This latest Katy project is not good. Probably because she never planned to make an album, just droplets of singles before. The concept is sad clown keeping it together and perseveres, and she did make a decent effort to realize the theme into her songs. But the material is lacking. Seriously. aretha1

And I'm not even talking about commercial aspect of it because the charts can kiss my arse right now. ari2

Sure, the unfair and cruel criticism that were given by professional publications was very unfair and cruel. But for me, the music itself isn't strong enough to keep me satisfied. The production is pretty thin and the compositions are so fucking short. Sis is not Ava Max, she never needed to make short songs. We need more songs with the length of Never Really Over and with the potency of, well, all of her singles before Smile obviously. nat1

So, what do you think about Clown?

It's a very solid pop record. I think there's only a handfull of dull songs on there.

Do any of them change the surface of pop culture? No, but that's also not what she was trying to do.

I seriously don't get the hate brit14 I mean what more do you expect from a collection of individual songs that were put together as a personal touchstone for her resilience? brit14 And people saying it doesn't show artistic growth... Well she tried to shake things up and Witness happened and drove her to depression so she's sticking to what she's comfortable with brit14 You can see that Katy did put in work for the album and as generic as some songs are, every song has an imaginative chorus and does not rely on beat drops and hard hitting production and such like most songs on Chromatica and does not follow a single sound like Future Nostalgia as each song on Smile sounds like a droplet of its own brit14

All songs except the title track are a 8+ and Never Really Over and Harley's In Hawaii are some of the best work she's put out brit14 

1 hour ago, Exhale said:

I seriously don't get the hate brit14 I mean what more do you expect from a collection of individual songs that were put together as a personal touchstone for her resilience? brit14 And people saying it doesn't show artistic growth... Well she tried to shake things up and Witness happened and drove her to depression so she's sticking to what she's comfortable with brit14 You can see that Katy did put in work for the album and as generic as some songs are, every song has an imaginative chorus and does not rely on beat drops and hard hitting production and such like most songs on Chromatica and does not follow a single sound like Future Nostalgia as each song on Smile sounds like a droplet of its own brit14

All songs except the title track are a 8+ and Never Really Over and Harley's In Hawaii are some of the best work she's put out brit14 

I don't hate babe, I just give my criticism for the actual music. Unlike some professional publications that talked about unrelated things.

The entire album is pretty much relying on beat drops and hard hitting production. It's just more pop production than house productions like on Gaga's Chromatica.

38 minutes ago, Tama said:

I don't hate babe, I just give my criticism for the actual music. Unlike some professional publications that talked about unrelated things.

The entire album is pretty much relying on beat drops and hard hitting production. It's just more pop production than house productions like on Gaga's Chromatica.

Oh no I was referring to the general public and stan twitter when I meant "hate" moo1 Your review is one of the nicer ones I've seen  

Personally I'm not a huge fan of pop artists implementing beat drop choruses without lyrics in their songs, like it's a DJ's album and not a singer's. That was what I was alluding to when I meant the songs on Chromatica relying on beat drops (Stupid Love, Rain On Me, Free Woman, Fun Tonight, Replay, Enigma, Sine From Above, 1000 Doves...). But the thing with Gaga is that she didn't make it seem stale and trite because that trend was a lot common with songs from 2016 right? When it came to Smile, Katy could have done the same. In the case of Never Really Over, the pre-chorus build up was huge and could have served as an excellent climb for a beat drop and instrumental chorus by Zedd, but she employed lyrics for the chorus to go along with the instrumental (ala justbecauseitsover...). Like wise, the same could have been done for Not The End Of The World, but she fit the verse in place for the drop. 

As a body of work, Smile is very incohesive because every song sounds detached from its predecessor and the one after it. But it follows a theme and it's almost as if you can see the growth from Never Really Over to What Makes A Woman when you listen to it in full.

Spoiler

Wow this was longer than I thought it would be brit14

It's solid in that pretty much all the non-singles are forgettable, which is a shame as NRO and Harleys are two of her best songs in her discography. I was really hoping the album would see Katy evolve in to a more mature image, Harleys gave me hope that it was, but then the album drops and it's the same old Katy, no evolution. 

It's not a bad album, it's just not memorable. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.