Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

Will Katy Have Another Successful Era?

Choose kindly.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is she going to experience success again?

• Yes. She knows what to do next.
    • No. She is as clueless as Xtina now.

Just now, Gilly said:

who cares about the 4 singles before the album? they werent even part of the album to BEGIN with brit4 lets not pretend katy didnt HERSELF say that and just slapped them on the album for streaming points brit4 and worse albums have done better? maybe by POPULAR hot artists, but name me a time when a hasbeen popstar was able to smash with a mediocre album? You can only get away with mediocre music if youre on top of your game. Katy aint brit4 

Circus. brit9 

but to be serious, the album would have done a lot better if it had been properly rolled out with NRO lead single, Daises second single, album drop, then future singles after. With live performances and interviews and full promo of the first two or three singles building to the release. 

Can you imagine if any other fave dropped 5 consecutive solo singles with no promo before announcing a new album with a not-lead-single-material as a lead single? There’s a REASON that’s not how things are done normally brit4 

You’re blind if you think otherwise brit4 

6 minutes ago, Goldie said:

omg i know it's really sad, and yes the smile tracks are "good" but they are all literally the same lyrical content, literally no ups/downs/variations/etc. in emotion or theme or song structure or anything, and they are all under 3 min. long like how are you even supposed to get into that shit, and the clown theme is just rip2 and I feel the same about Katy ever since the gays disowned her I feel like nobody gives her a second look anymore, i do still love her tho rip1 

right rip3 like songs like tucked and cry about it later are cute pop songs, sure... but reviving your dead career type good? no rip1

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Circus. brit9 

but to be serious, the album would have done a lot better if it had been properly rolled out with NRO lead single, Daises second single, album drop, then future singles after. With live performances and interviews and full promo of the first two or three singles building to the release. 

Can you imagine if any other fave dropped 5 consecutive solo singles with no promo before announcing a new album with a not-lead-single-material as a lead single? There’s a REASON that’s not how things are done normally brit4 

You’re blind if you think otherwise brit4 

britney was literally the most popular popstar on earth when she dropped circus.. you literally cant compare dead2 

Just now, Gilly said:

britney was literally the most popular popstar on earth when she dropped circus.. you literally cant compare dead2 

That was facetious um1 but even then she was not the most popular star, Circus was after her breakdown and Blackout underperformed hugely. Just like Witness jj1 

Just now, Vesper said:

There are four major themes in the album though? um1

Letting go of the past, crying through it all, finding redemption, and finally finding happiness. Thematically I HATE the clown thing brit5 but it’s not honest to say it’s all thematically and sonically the same. 

I dunno, I really do like Smile but I just feel it is very one-note.

When the album art came out I got SUPER hyped for the 'sad clown' theme, I really thought Katy was gonna dig deep thematically and be really multidimensional about depression and redemption and happiness. But the album is structured more like... Natasha Bedingfield cheesy feel good empowerment songs. The production is generally top notch but lyrically it's the same thing over and over again: alcohol, crying, I'm resilient/thankful/grateful, positivity, live laugh love.... there's nothing meaty, she skips over the entire sad clown theme of what it is like to look happy on the outside and be sad on the inside, finding out what intrinsically makes her happy, etc. and goes straight to being the happy smiley face clown without dealing with the uglier, darker, more serious aspects of the theme... and there are so many cliches dead2 You can take a frown turn it all the way around, seriously??? And so many verses are repeated twice, I just find the songwriting somewhat lazy. I have to say one of my favs is Only Love though cry8 

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

That was facetious um1 but even then she was not the most popular star, Circus was after her breakdown and Blackout underperformed hugely. Just like Witness jj1 

so? she was still a huge popstar and everyone was rooting for her comeback after the breakdown.  dead2 Again, you can’t compare. Katy had nothing. Witness was just a flop and no one was checking for her during/after that era. 

1 minute ago, Goldie said:

I dunno, I really do like Smile but I just feel it is very one-note.

When the album art came out I got SUPER hyped for the 'sad clown' theme, I really thought Katy was gonna dig deep thematically and be really multidimensional about depression and redemption and happiness. But the album is structured more like... Natasha Bedingfield cheesy feel good empowerment songs. The production is generally top notch but lyrically it's the same thing over and over again: alcohol, crying, I'm resilient/thankful/grateful, positivity, live laugh love.... there's nothing meaty, she skips over the entire sad clown theme of what it is like to look happy on the outside and be sad on the inside, finding out what intrinsically makes her happy, etc. and goes straight to being the happy smiley face clown without dealing with the uglier, darker, more serious aspects of the theme... and there are so many cliches dead2 You can take a frown turn it all the way around, seriously??? And so many verses are repeated twice, I just find the songwriting somewhat lazy. I have to say one of my favs is Only Love though cry8 

I never expect deep lyrics from Katy so I guess all the cliches were par for the course for me brit9 I’m not a Katy stan so I didn’t expect much. What I DID hear though, was a bunch of fabulous bops, one after the other. bey5 

1 minute ago, Gilly said:

so? she was still a huge popstar and everyone was rooting for her comeback after the breakdown.  dead2 Again, you can’t compare. Katy had nothing. Witness was just a flop and no one was checking for her during/after that era. 

Do you know what facetious means? brit13

and you are still ignoring the four singles that received barely any promo before lead single announcement late in the game. Stop trying to justify the way the album was rolled out as a non-factor in Smile doing worse than it could have done. It’s just factually not true. And it’s not really that hard to understand.

7 minutes ago, Gilly said:

right rip3 like songs like tucked and cry about it later are cute pop songs, sure... but reviving your dead career type good? no rip1

In a way it doesn't even matter how bad this album tanked because the reception is still generally good (among the 10 people who listened to the album) because corona this year throttled any possible potentially impactful promo. So she can fade into the background with ha baby and come back maybe in 1.5-2 years time and maybe deliver something spectacular  oprah2 

2 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Also, if going by what you’re saying “Witness was just a flop and no one was checking for her during / after that era”... then do you REALLY believe the way the album roll out is how it should have been done for a supposed COMEBACK album? brit5 

Whether or not you like the music is one thing, and whether or not the album was properly promoted and released is another. Don’t conflate the two. 

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I never expect deep lyrics from Katy so I guess all the cliches were par for the course for me brit9 I’m not a Katy stan so I didn’t expect much. What I DID hear though, was a bunch of fabulous bops, one after the other. bey5 

The album does bop, don't get me wrong, I just felt I couldn't get into it the same way I did for previous albums and maybe was expecting more? And yes Katy is the cliche queen so it's not like this is something new for her, I think I was expecting something much more progressive for her but in the end if she sticks to standard fare, it's still pretty good cry6 

Just now, Goldie said:

The album does bop, don't get me wrong, I just felt I couldn't get into it the same way I did for previous albums and maybe was expecting more? And yes Katy is the cliche queen so it's not like this is something new for her, I think I was expecting something much more progressive for her but in the end if she sticks to standard fare, it's still pretty good cry6 

Yas I bop still today to Cry About It Later cry5 

Seems like Smile has mixed reactions though, for many of the same reasons you said. I still firmly believe if it had a better managed rollout it would have at least gotten NRO into the top 10 and maybe another single or two, even if the album still flopped  cry4 

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Yas I bop still today to Cry About It Later cry5 

Seems like Smile has mixed reactions though, for many of the same reasons you said. I still firmly believe if it had a better managed rollout it would have at least gotten NRO into the top 10 and maybe another single or two, even if the album still flopped  cry4 

Yes me too I love the nod to TOTGA in Cry About it Later and the "no no no no" part in the bridge and the solo, so gooddddd cry6

28 minutes ago, Goldie said:

Yes me too I love the nod to TOTGA in Cry About it Later and the "no no no no" part in the bridge and the solo, so gooddddd cry6

“Ready to be someone’s new muse, Ready for my new tattoo” cry6 

7 hours ago, Vesper said:

Cry About It Later, Champagne Problems, Tucked, Only Love, NRO and Harleys might be top 10 in ha discography for me jj3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.