Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Unapologetic Bitch

Madonna mentioned in Mariah book

59 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Is she saying that Madonna's high pitched vocals were studio engineered? Madonna had a pretty high pitch singing voice in her first few years dead2

I think she was more saying that she was able to emulate that style of whiney high pitch vocal that was popular at the time but record execs said she was too young to get a deal. 

In Weakness Of The Body (recorded in 1986/7) you can kind of hear it.

3 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

I think she was more saying that she was able to emulate that style of whiney high pitch vocal that was popular at the time but record execs said she was too young to get a deal. 

In Weakness Of The Body (recorded in 1986/7) you can kind of hear it.

Oh so after Madonna made it popular people started to copy it with studio tricks.

It shows how much a different time it was saying she was too young when only 10 years later they would sign people her age.

2 hours ago, Gravity said:

Is she saying that Madonna's high pitched vocals were studio engineered? Madonna had a pretty high pitch singing voice in her first few years dead2

Actually they did pitched her vocals a bit in the studio on first songs on purpose, first promotional materials didnt even had her face so people thought she was younger (and some even thought she was black) jj4

As for mariah she is not shading Madonna here, the pitching vocals thing was a normal technique back then, Prince used it, Lenon used it, im pretty sure Mariah used it as well, shrug1

If theres anything like shade (and there isnt) it would be that in both stories she underlines being YOUNGER than Madonna dead2

2 hours ago, Gravity said:

They did pitch her voice though. There are videos online of what she would sound like without the vocal enhancement. In fact, it was all over her Like A Virgin album

1 hour ago, Lynk said:

They did pitch her voice though. There are videos online of what she would sound like without the vocal enhancement. In fact, it was all over her Like A Virgin album

Her live vocals sound kinda like the album version too tho nicki5 

2 hours ago, Shego said:

Umm i doubt Madonna's voice needed much studio help to sound high pitched,, but ofc she had to shade cuz that's her thing. lol3 

She wasn't shading her.

It's all about grammar, tho: that's what she stated "Madonna studio technique", not "Madonna's studio technique".

2 hours ago, Lynk said:

Suddenly the Britney comparison (vocally) makes sense. Britney did sound like these on her debut album.

2 hours ago, Lynk said:

not these being much better than the album versions jj4 

4 minutes ago, plutoniano said:

not these being much better than the album versions jj4 

Right? I still don't understand why they messed with her voice like that

1 hour ago, Shego said:

Her live vocals sound kinda like the album version too tho nicki5 

I don't hear it. The album version is higher plus she's sounded like that live in the performances I've seen from the 80s

6 hours ago, Gravity said:

Oh so after Madonna made it popular people started to copy it with studio tricks.

It shows how much a different time it was saying she was too young when only 10 years later they would sign people her age.

Yeah, Mariah was only 16 at the time that was recorded and they said she was too young, yet go ahead 10 years and people that age and even younger were being signed. It can work but i don't think people being signed while still in their teen years is particularly healthy, just look at any popstar who was signed before the age of 20, they've pretty much all had mental health problems, especially the ones who release an album that's highly successful when they're still a kid and then then fall off the radar. 

I don't sense any shade in what Mariah said. If anything she's highlighting the impact Madonna had in the 80s. If you listen to certain hit songs back then you can tell they were recorded in a "normal" key and then pitched up slightly as songs tend to sound better on the radio in a higher key.  Kylie Minogue and Cyndi Lauper were other popular singers in the 80s who used that same sort of technique.

It's not just the key either, it's also the styling, i'm no expert but i think they also raised their larynx when singing to achieve that tone whiney nasal tone. It could explain why Madonnas voice got "deeper" after vocal training in the 90s. 

5 hours ago, Lynk said:

Is there a download available for the whole album like this? rip2

10 hours ago, Lynk said:

Right? I still don't understand why they messed with her voice like that

I don't hear it. The album version is higher plus she's sounded like that live in the performances I've seen from the 80s

The album version is higher but the live version is certainly higher than the version you posted dead1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.