Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Chris

Initial thoughts on The Rarities?

Loved it. It's great. 

Favourite songs: Here We Go Again, Everything Fades Away, All I Love For, One Night, Out There On My Own, I Pray, Mezmerized, Lullaby Of Birdland, Save The Day, Do You Think Of Me, LoverBoy, Can You Hear Me. 

3 hours ago, BabyMario44 said:

Loved it. It's great. 

Favourite songs: Here We Go Again, Everything Fades Away, All I Love For, One Night, Out There On My Own, I Pray, Mezmerized, Lullaby Of Birdland, Save The Day, Do You Think Of Me, LoverBoy, Can You Hear Me. 

So the first disc yeah? The taste is AMAZING DAHHHLING!!!!

It's actually very good! Highlights: All I Live For, Mesmerized, Cool On You, Do You Think of Me and imo one of her best ballads ever Can You Hear Me

I looove it omg it's so good giveup1Cool On You sounds like so much like a 00s Janet song to me it's the SERVE. All I Live For is better than almost any song in MB, I don't get why it wasn't added lmao

Here We Go Around Again is a BOP. A killer opening track! The original version of Loverboy is a BOP. I do like the released version but this one is so fun and catchy. I definitely like it more than I'm Real! I was a bit disappointed from an audiophile perspective to find that the b-sides were "remastered" and compressed a bit, but I guess we do still have the original versions. Overall this is a great set of songs and an interesting retrospective of her career. It makes me wonder what other gems are hiding in Mimi's vaults!

On 10/3/2020 at 5:12 AM, Tomás said:

I looove it omg it's so good giveup1Cool On You sounds like so much like a 00s Janet song to me it's the SERVE. All I Live For is better than almost any song in MB, I don't get why it wasn't added lmao

I’m loving the “Ain’t no coming back from that” with the #DoTheCoat, #KickRocks and #EatDirt so much right now. Kind of makes me want to be a shady bi$h and tell someone off bebe1

OT: I love how I can keep replaying this album without any skips. It just gets better with every play juicy1

Spoiler

The only minor exception is Here We Go Around Again because I’m basically forcing myself to listen to it since it’s still taking time to grow on me moo1

21 hours ago, StanLeeMusique said:

I’m loving the “Ain’t no coming back from that” with the #DoTheCoat, #KickRocks and #EatDirt so much right now. Kind of makes me want to be a shady bi$h and tell someone off bebe1

OT: I love how I can keep replaying this album without any skips. It just gets better with every play juicy1

Reveal hidden contents

The only minor exception is Here We Go Around Again because I’m basically forcing myself to listen to it since it’s still taking time to grow on me moo1

Yes omg those bits kinda reminded me of Heat a lil bit juicy1

Omg not you hating on Here We Praise The Lord Again! An absolute BOP. Honestly the only songs I don't care about are those two ballads from the early 90s kdkdk. 

On 10/5/2020 at 2:09 PM, Tomás said:

Yes omg those bits kinda reminded me of Heat a lil bit juicy1

Omg not you hating on Here We Praise The Lord Again! An absolute BOP. Honestly the only songs I don't care about are those two ballads from the early 90s kdkdk. 

Omg not you hating the ballads sis ari7

I prefer them over Here We Go Around Again because they don’t sound too much like the early 90s. Sorry but HWGAA sounds outdated to me bebe1

Alright now that I've listened to it the full way through more than once

Here We Go Around Again: I absolutely adore the late 80s/90s, Motown infused sound of this track. Hearing Mariah's early 90s voice again on something new (to us) felt like seeing an old friend again. It deserved to be on her debut, but I'm also not sure where it could've gone on the track list. All I know is, I really would've loved to hear more of those late 80s synth styles with Mariah's voice. Release the demo tape

Can You Hear Me: This doesn't really feel Mariah's style. It's very melodramatic and schmaltzy in a way she doesn't really do. That being said, these are hands down the BEST vocals on the record. She gave her all on this vocal performance the way she did all throughout Emotions, and it's a joy to hear.

Do You Think Of Me: One of the songs we already know, and there's isn't anything more to say besides "why wasn't this on the album!"

Everything Fades Away: Same as above.

All I Live For: WHAT A GREAT SONG. This track grooves so smooth and her vocals flow like water. One of my favorites for sure, I just love how 90s it sounds. If Mariah ever decides to do something like Kylie's Anti tour, this would be one of the tracks I'd really love to hear. Especially since if my ears aren't mistaken, I hear 2020riah at the end? 

One Night: Alright I gotta be honest. This was the first track that missed for me? The intro is gorgeous as expected from Daydreamriah, but when it became uptempo it just started to feel messy to me? I want to like it, I love when Mariah does storytelling with her tracks and her Daydream voice is flawless but idk, it just felt like there was so much going on at once.

Slipping Away: Same as DYTOM and EFA, and also my personal favorite Mariah track of all time. I will never forgive Tommy for not letting this make the album. This would've been a #1 without a doubt. (As a side note, why is this marked as 1996? Is it because it released as a b-side then?)

Out Here On My Own: After hearing how she felt about this song in her memoir, it only made it hit harder for me. Her late 90s/early 00s tone was also one of her most beautiful, and I can't picture this with her vocals before then. She did a great job with this cover, as always. I wonder why this one didn't make it onto Glitter.

Loverboy [Firecracker - Original Version]: I can't believe after 19 years we're hearing the version of Loverboy that started it all, it feels surreal tbh. That said, my first listen didn't wow me. The sample was perfect for the chorus, the vocals are energetic and full of life compared to the released version, and the intro/outro is the best part. However, the verse doesn't feel like it's really... on key? I don't understand it, but I've also gotten more used to it with time and I might prefer this version after all? It's very Mariah compared to the released one, but at the same time, neither this nor the Candy version scream "hit" to me. Still grateful she let us hear this one!

I Pray: This is another one I'm surprised we got! I was almost certain the only person in the world who would've heard this outside of Mariah was Lina who we first heard it from on Oprah. Mariah sang the hell out of this one, though everything that happened during TEOM was gold.

Cool On You: I love when Mariah is being sassy, and this would've fit right in on E=MC2, next to OOC most likely. While I have mixed feelings on this era, I loved her confidence and fun she had on this album and Cool On You is no exception.

Mesmerized: This song took me the fuck out, Mariah wasn't even doing an album in 2012, and the song she DID do that year... wasn't that great. And this was supposed to be for a movie? Along with jazz, now I know I would love to hear Mariah on a 70s styled album. Give me some Stevie Wonder mixed with some Donna Summer vibes!

Lullaby of Birdland (Live): I wonder which date this recording was from, but lambs also know this one and it's why we've been screaming for a jazz album from her for years. She sounds right at home singing this and scatting, and with what she told us in her memoir it all comes together and makes perfect sense.

Save The Day: I don't really need to say much about this one. We all heard it, we all loved it, and she just keeps improving in recent years. Though, I do wonder why she recorded this one in 2020 when it's been a thing since 2012?

Close My Eyes (Acoustic): I teared up when I heard her revisit this song when announcing this album. This is one of my favorite Mariah songs, and hearing her return to this song after all these years... It honestly might be even better than the original to me.

Overall, I loved this album. It was one of the most pleasant surprises I've had from an artist I love in while, and in general she's been one of the only good things about this year. She's just the gift that keeps giving and I'm so happy I've been following her all these years. I wonder how it might feel to a new fan, but as a longtime fan it feels like one of the biggest gifts she's given us. It just keeps getting better every listen too!

On 10/9/2020 at 5:49 PM, Strobo said:

Save The Day: I don't really need to say much about this one. We all heard it, we all loved it, and she just keeps improving in recent years. Though, I do wonder why she recorded this one in 2020 when it's been a thing since 2012?

Overall, I loved this album. It was one of the most pleasant surprises I've had from an artist I love in while, and in general she's been one of the only good things about this year. She's just the gift that keeps giving and I'm so happy I've been following her all these years. I wonder how it might feel to a new fan, but as a longtime fan it feels like one of the biggest gifts she's given us. It just keeps getting better every listen too!

she mightve wanted to redo the vocals if she didnt like how she laid her vocals down back then?

as a newish fan (since like 2017) i wish i was a longtime fan cos it looks like this wouldve been an emotional ride to listen to. i can imagine in 20 years, kesha will do something similar and i would be an emotional WRECK.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.