Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Lynk

Best singer in the Vocal Trinity

Best Vocalist of the Vocal Trinity  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who outsings the other two?

https://thatgrapejuice.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/celine-dion-whitney-houston-mariah-carey-that-grape-juice-billboard-hot-100.png

Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey and Celine Dion are three of the biggest artists to grace the music industry. Known for their powerhouse vocals, they have labelled "The Vocal Trinity". But of the three, which of the following is the best vocalist of the three? Base your decision on the following:

• Power
  • Range
  • Control
  • Tone
  • Overall Vocal Talent
  • Power: Whitney
  • Range: Mariah
  • Control: Celine or Mariah (it depends how you look at it, Celine has a better head voice but Mariahs low range is far better)
  • Tone: Mariah (tone is personal preference)
  • Overall Vocal Talent: All 3 are equally talented vocally in my eyes. 

"Insert the usual moronic comments from certain well known users shading Mariah for the sake of it instead of enjoying all 3 for what they bring". 

19 minutes ago, Chris Morlock said:

i dont know any Whitney songs except for the 2 everyone knows and ive never heard a Celine song outside Titanic jj3 

Whitney has some great stuff, Celine can be hit or miss, most of her music post Titanic is really generic and most of it before Titanic is your usual pop ballad. 

These were serves:

2 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

Whitney has some great stuff, Celine can be hit or miss, most of her music post Titanic is really generic and most of it before Titanic is your usual pop ballad. 

These were serves:

ill save these for later, thx~

37 minutes ago, Chris Morlock said:

i dont know any Whitney songs except for the 2 everyone knows and ive never heard a Celine song outside Titanic jj3 

I see you got covered with Whitney so here's a bit of Céline! The first two are some of her most well known songs (well, covers) in English, but her best work imo is in French which the other two are examples of.

Whitney.

Reasons below

Spoiler

Of the vocal trinity, I was probably most familiar with Celine at first, but then got into Mariah. Mariah's range is her biggest strong suit, imo. I feel with Mariah, she's an amazing singer, but I feel her vocal technique (singing with vocal chord polyps) has led to a decline in the quality of her voice. In my opinion at least, her strongest vocals were on her debut, and they seemed to slightly decline with each album and turn into the more soft, whispery tone we're familiar with today. She can still sing the hell out of her songs no doubt, and she's the ONLY singer who can sing some of her songs because of her range. Celine is so talented, but I feel her career was kind of riding the coat tails of Mariah and Whitney's. Mariah and Whitney both had other talents outside of just singing, Mariah's writing and lyricism, and Whitney had some success with movies. Celine always just had her voice it seems. Celine's selling point was being born in Quebec, and later building her career up to such great international heights.

Whitney. From the start, her voice was renowned. Her deep, rich, powerful voice is one of a kind, truly. She really is one of the greatest female voices of the 20th century, rivalling maybe ONLY the great Barbra Streisand and Aretha Franklin. Whitney's tragedy of course was her untimely death and her addictions which likely led to her vocal decline at that end of her career. Still, I feel it's nearly impossible to top Whitney in her prime.

1 hour ago, Strobo said:

I see you got covered with Whitney so here's a bit of Céline! The first two are some of her most well known songs (well, covers) in English, but her best work imo is in French which the other two are examples of.

I was going to post some Celine songs but admittedly i'm not the most familiar with her music besides the hits. The only album i've listened to in full was courage.

3:00 is by far one of my favourite vocal moments of all time though.

Power - Whitney

Range - Mariah

Control - MARIAH (Any other option is invalid)

Tone - Mariah 

Overall vocal talent - Mariah/ Whitney

With all respect to Celine, I don't really admire her vocal placements or her mixed technique.

10 hours ago, Lynk said:
  • Power - Whitney 
  • Range - Mariah
  • Control - Mariah 
  • Tone - subjective but Whitney 
  • Overall Vocal Talent - Mariah 

Mariah’s natural range is unmatched and so is her control. The amount of different textures she is able to convey with her voice, fitting to any genre, throughout her entire range is literally inhuman. She is arguably the most versatile pop vocalist of all time. The things she is able to do with her voice are far ahead of Celine and Whitney who simply do not have the ability. Her ability is unmatched, her lows notes are unmatched, her whistles, the ease she possessed in her upper belts, the control to switch between registers seamlessly one breath. She is the best mainstream female vocalist of all time. 

10 hours ago, HninSi said:

With all respect to Celine, I don't really admire her vocal placements or her mixed technique.

This, i love Celine but her technique is not always the best. Sometimes her belts are too nasal/pushed (including in her prime), yet other times they're flawless. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.