Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Ruthless Love

Gal Gadot to Reunite with Patty Jenkins for "Cleopatra"

gal-gadot-patty-jenkins-split-5.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures has won an auction for an epic that will have Gal Gadot wearing the crown of a real wonder woman of history. Wonder Woman helmer Patty Jenkins will direct Gadot in Cleopatra, a period biographical drama scripted by Laeta Kalogridis. This is the first major project package won by Paramount Motion Picture Group President Emma Watts in an auction that came down to Universal, Warner Bros, Netflix and Apple, I’ve heard.

The film will be produced by Atlas Entertainment’s Charles Roven, Jenkins, Gadot and her Pilot Wave Motion Pictures partner Jaron Varsano. Kalogridis will be the exec producer. Deal closed yesterday after Gadot — the film was her idea and generated by Pilot Wave — took part in a select number of Zoom pitches, accompanied by Jenkins, Roven and Varsano, with Kalogridis laying out the beats of an epic story that is based on the research she did after Gadot enlisted her.

The Egyptian queen’s tale has all the makings of a big female empowerment story, told by women. She was mostly played as a seductress by Elizabeth Taylor in the 1963 Joseph Mankiewicz-directed Cleopatra. That film cost more than any film to date and despite winning four of the nine Oscars for which it was nominated and being a big hit at the box office, Cleopatra nearly bankrupted 20th Century Fox. Despite that, Hollywood has continued its infatuation with the Queen of the Nile. Sony Pictures and producers Amy Pascal and Scott Rudin have for years developed an adaptation of the Stacy Schiff biography Cleopatra. Angelina Jolie was attached and Lady Gaga was later rumored for a possible coronation following her Oscar-nominated performance in A Star Is Born. The list of potential directors has included James Cameron, Denis Villenueve and David Fincher. The film has been through many rewrites, last from David Scarpa. I hear most recently that Eric Roth is working on it, meaning there might be a footrace here between Sony and Paramount to go first.

Full article: x

I'm not sure about this casting choice, but we'll see what they manage to make of it.

Ironically I feel Gal is too pretty for the role. Cleopatra wasn't beautiful, she was considered attractive due to her exceptional charm and wits. I've been hoping for a remake that focuses on that aspect of her. Then again, expecting Hollywood to cast someone less attractive in a leading role (especially for a historic figure renowned for her beauty) would be too much. nicki4 So they won't be historically accurate in that aspect.

318.jpg?v=1598836613

There's also her ethnicity. Despite the misinformed outrage on Twitter, Cleopatra wasn't black. She had Greek-Macedonian ancestry. Gal doesn't fit that either, but I guess her career is at it's height rn, and casting an unknown who fits better would be a gamble.

5 hours ago, Kirjava said:

I'm not sure about this casting choice, but we'll see what they manage to make of it.

Ironically I feel Gal is too pretty for the role. Cleopatra wasn't beautiful, she was considered attractive due to her exceptional charm and wits. I've been hoping for a remake that focuses on that aspect of her. Then again, expecting Hollywood to cast someone less attractive in a leading role (especially for a historic figure renowned for her beauty) would be too much. nicki4 So they won't be historically accurate in that aspect.

318.jpg?v=1598836613

There's also her ethnicity. Despite the misinformed outrage on Twitter, Cleopatra wasn't black. She had Greek-Macedonian ancestry. Gal doesn't fit that either, but I guess her career is at it's height rn, and casting an unknown who fits better would be a gamble.

Americans probably see Gal and think, hmm that's a Greek woman we see, since not a lot of them know different ethnicities of the outside world. jj3

41 minutes ago, Bionic-AHHH! said:

Americans probably see Gal and think, hmm that's a Greek woman we see, since not a lot of them know different ethnicities of the outside world. jj3

I guess as long as she has that ambiguously Mediterranean look, they think it's good to go. jj3 + she played an Amazon princess so she's basically Greek. moo1

All the anti-semitism on Twitter tho. jj4

People calling her a zionist and stuff. Like, military service is literally obligatory in her country for both genders. Wtf was she supposed to do? um2

7 minutes ago, Kirjava said:

I guess as long as she has that ambiguously Mediterranean look, they think it's good to go. jj3 + she played an Amazon princess so she's basically Greek. moo1

All the anti-semitism on Twitter tho. jj4

People calling her a zionist and stuff. Like, military service is literally obligatory in her country for both genders. Wtf was she supposed to do? um2

IKR. We hate wars and we hate the Israeli government, but we shouldn't be stupid and fake woke. Sometimes I wonder where I've been, who I am, where I fit in...

...stream Out Here on My Own from The Rarities by Mariah Carey. ari5

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.