Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

Why Do Certain FOTPers Despise K-Pop Music/Groups?

2 hours ago, Strobo said:

That said I would love some recommendations because I'm well aware I only know the most popular stuff, which tends to be the most basic.

Currently, kpop is in its 3rd generation and I've only heard a small handful of the older generations. Girls Generation is deemed as one of the best girl groups in kpop (from 2nd gen) kesha/her team sold 2 2009 demos to them which have been released, Chain Reaction and Run Devil Run. I do prefer Keshas demos simply cos I've heard them first and kesha is my fav singer ever. 

Spoiler

Music videos usually have the English translated lyrics in the CC. My first kpop song was a blackpink song, which I'm sure you have already heard. I later discovered groups like EXO which are a really popular kpop boy group. They're not my fav group but are a stepping stone to my journey into kpop. 

Spoiler

Now for the songs id actually recommend. Hwa Sa from Mamamoo is one of my fav idols in existence. She released her debut solo mini album in the last year and it's super good.

Spoiler

This song is admittedly basic but it's still so good I literally have had it on loop for hour(s) at a time. Don't Touch Me by Refund Sisters (the direct translation from korean is refund expedition)

Spoiler

Now for the queer representation~ (the last one was released in 2012 so it is kinda basic but he is non binary, as the first 2 are gay)

Spoiler

Then lastly here are my fav Mamamoo songs/videos (Hip features 2 korean drag queens in the video~) 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Luca said:

Since you asked:

I don’t have a problem with people who listen to KPop. Their opinion on the quality of music is not worth less than that of anyone else.

Do I like KPop/JPop? No. Most of the times I don’t and here‘s why:

- Many KPop bands (and bands are really big in Korea) groups are composed of too many members. I think a group should have a maximum of 5 members. Everything above that leaves no room for individual members to shine.

- I find KPop to be too reliant on outdated music trends. I don’t see much originality. It appears to emulate Western music trends. That is, because there is a huge idolization of everything Western in South Korea. Unsurprisingly, looking at the political affinity of South Korea and in contrast, North Korea.

- They are very focused on visuals, which are VERY impressive and progressive, so that’s a plus. However, to me it appears to be a way to distract from lackluster music. It’s all about the visuals and the  performance aspect which is nice if that’s what you’re looking for in music. I personally, have grown out of that phase and am not looking for that exclusively in music.

So yeah, if you like KPop...good for you! You‘ve found something that you enjoy. If you don’t, that‘s okay too and should be respected without accusations of racism or xenophobia because in most cases that’s not really what it boils down to. At least not in my case.

Thank you for listening to my TED Talk.

8 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Since you asked:

I don’t have a problem with people who listen to KPop. Their opinion on the quality of music is not worth less than that of anyone else.

- Many KPop bands (and bands are really big in Korea) groups are composed of too many members. I think a group should have a maximum of 5 members. Everything above that leaves no room for individual members to shine.

- I find KPop to be too reliant on outdated music trends. I don’t see much originality. It appears to emulate Western music trends. That is, because there is a huge idolization of everything Western in South Korea. Unsurprisingly, looking at the political affinity of South Korea and in contrast, North Korea.

- They are very focused on visuals, which are VERY impressive and progressive, so that’s a plus. However, to me it appears to be a way to distract from lackluster music. It’s all about the visuals and the  performance aspect which is nice if that’s what you’re looking for in music. I personally, have grown out of that phase and am not looking for that exclusively in music.

So yeah, if you like KPop...good for you! You‘ve found something that you enjoy. If you don’t, that‘s okay too and should be respected without accusations of racism or xenophobia because in most cases that’s not really what it boils down to. At least not in my case.

A calm and reasonable Madonna essay. I never thought I'd see this day.

NhizuQS.gif

17 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Since you asked:

if you need any recommendations for kpop groups that consist of less than 5 members i can name a good few whit1 

4 minutes ago, STJ said:

Blackp!nk? bey11

Blackpink - 4 members

Mamamoo - 4 (Hwa Sa has a solo mini album)

Refund Sisters - 4 (their debut single released 2 days ago, its so good cry0 )

TVXQ went from a group of like 8(?) to a group of 2

DAY6 - 5

KNK - 5

KARD - a co-ed 4 member group

Monsta X - now a 5 member; reason listed below

2NE1 - 4 (theyve disbanded before BLACKPINK debuted; both groups from YG Ent.)

SHINee - 4 (idk if it was originally a 5 piece or not cos one passed away from suicide brit2 )

EXO originally debuted with 12 members split in half, EXO-M (chinese) and EXO-K (korean). their most recent album only included 6 it's one more than 5 but still members cos the rest have their time in SK's military to complete (mandatory 2 years) or have left the group. they have 2 subunits; EXO- CBX (3 members) and EXO-SC (2 members).

ITZY - 5 (theyre not the best but theyre listenable)

then there are the endless soloists; heres some of the ones i like

Chung Ha

BoA (one of the soloists from the 1st generation of K-pop still making music 20 years later)

Taemin

Wonho (left group Monsta X cos of drama outside of the group)

Taeyeon

Eric Nam

I don't despise them by any means, I'm just not enticed by their output. I've tried to give several of them a chance and nothing has ever stuck with me. I mean they can dance but the music itself just isn't worth the time. And I know that's not their fault entirely, they gotta do what the label hands down to them, but yeah...idk it's just not for me. 

Their fans though....

K-pop just isn't for me, simple as that. I don't hate the K-pop acts or Koreans, I'm just not that into the genre. I will admit that the K-pop acts that I've seen know how to perform and put on a show. The choreo is always on point and their performances are top tier. I see why people love them especially the male ones since 90% of western male acts aren't doing 1/4 of the things these K-pop boys are doing. So yeah that's how I feel about K-pop and K-pop acts. That being said though, there are some songs that have K-pop acts that I like. I'll link a few of them down below in a spoiler.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Madonna said:

Since you asked:

Ms. @Madonna being reasonable. xtina5

Yes, most groups are reliant on current trends but there are moo4 groups that do release great music, it's just that a certain member here is way too racist towards Asian acts, particularly Korean acts. 

Popular Kpop just sounds so... Unoriginal and samey all the time. 

I love when artists stray away from that in kpop and they sound AMAZING. 

Personal favorite are GAIN

BoA

Theres more I can’t think of right now. But GAIN and CL are like my top faves. I liked Lim Kim but I think she raps now???? 😬

22 minutes ago, Kyoteki said:

BoA

Theres more I can’t think of right now. But GAIN and CL are like my top faves. I liked Lim Kim but I think she raps now???? 😬

Yas for these two kweenz! 

Spoiler

I think Mizy also did a cute little song.

VAV is also pretty cool

8 minutes ago, Kyoteki said:

BoA

Omg how did I forget about Gain cry0

Paradise Lost is my fav Gain song. 

6 hours ago, Madonna said:

Since you asked:

Yes! I couldn't agree more

best argument here 

13 hours ago, Madonna said:

Since you asked:

Wow rip4 I know I said I'd never reply to you again, but it's good to see you not screaming and pushing your opinion down someone else's throat rip4 keep the growth going, sis!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.