Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Pablo_

Biggest sellouts

Who do you consider the biggest sellouts in the current music industry? IMO,

Maroon 5: I’m not very familiar with them but it’s astonishing how their first singles sound massively different and better from their latest output.

Rosalia: I love and live for her but she was really quick to switch up the flamenco-pop sound to urban Latin (apart from a few odd-one songs she releases).

Panic! at the Disco: the Death of a Bachelor album is one of my favourite albums of all time, and he did see critical and some low-key commercial success with it, compared to his previous work, and drunk by the success and acclaim, Mr. Urie followed it up with the soccer mom-appealing Pray for the Wicked which worked as the era delivered 2 megahits, probably his biggest smashes ever (High Hopes, ME!), but I find the sound of the era quite questionable.

Madonna 2008-2015: I stan her but queen really did say quick little singles over great bodies of work

Kylie Minogue after 1997: after switching up her commercial sound, her two most genuine and indie (also arguably her best) albums flopped and she did say she would never go the indie route again. Her saving grace is that the music that followed slapped hard too.

Panic!'s PFTW wasn't that bad. It was more mainstream to appeal to his new audience thx to Taylor and I do want a return to Tacks/Snacks or House of Memories or Nicotine

Before i even read the OP Maroon 5 came straight to my mind. They make the most generic music there is and always have, yet are hugely successful for some reason. 

P!nk is somewhat of a sell out. Her music became less edgy especially after I'm Not Dead as her core fanbase got older. Even her newer stuff seems stuck in 2012. It's a shame as she has a great voice and is a great performer, but her new stuff is just too generic and pandering to be played on Adult Contemporary radio. 

Also Drake... Although he's more just heavily overrated. 

3 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

Panic!'s PFTW wasn't that bad. It was more mainstream to appeal to his new audience thx to Taylor and I do want a return to Tacks/Snacks or House of Memories or Nicotine

I kinda warmed up to it but found it very disappointing after his previous work. For next I do want Nicotine-esque slayage gaga3

2 hours ago, V For Vendetta said:

Shouldn’t this be in Battlegrounds? ari8 

... but anyway, Ed Sheeran I’d say ari8 

Sorry, this is my first ever thread here brit10

2 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

Before i even read the OP Maroon 5 came straight to my mind. They make the most generic music there is and always have, yet are hugely successful for some reason. 

P!nk is somewhat of a sell out. Her music became less edgy especially after I'm Not Dead as her core fanbase got older. Even her newer stuff seems stuck in 2012. It's a shame as she has a great voice and is a great performer, but her new stuff is just too generic and pandering to be played on Adult Contemporary radio. 

Also Drake... Although he's more just heavily overrated. 

Yes, Pink has become the queen of soccer mom music. Drake, I think he is too mainstream at this point to also fully serve his former hip hop audience, because he’s just way too popular (and overrated, yes) idk if this makes sensebrit10

2 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

its sad, yes. IND and Funhouse were he peak years brit2 

6 hours ago, Chris Morlock said:

how can it be "thanks to Taylor" when that album came out much before ME! dead2 if anything it was more musical-inspired after his run on Kinky Boots?

16 minutes ago, Hyun. said:

how can it be "thanks to Taylor" when that album came out much before ME! dead2 if anything it was more musical-inspired after his run on Kinky Boots?

wait youre right dead2 

12 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

I agree with this. Though I feel like Funhouse was her last greatest output. (as an album at least, there are some great tracks on there). It's disappointing how pandering and boring her sound and songs have been since then. Especially her latest music.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.