Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Pope Francis calls for same sex civil unions

Pope Francis called for the passage of civil union laws for same-sex couples in a documentary that aired in Rome on Wednesday, in a major departure from the position held by the Vatican’s doctrinal office.

“Homosexuals have a right to be part of the family,” the Pontiff said in “Francesco,” a documentary about his life, according to the Catholic News Agency. “They’re children of God and have a right to a family. Nobody should be thrown out, or be made miserable because of it.

www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1244137

180521-michaelson-pope-tease_sa6rjb

Pope Francis, who since the beginning of his pontificate has taken a more tolerant  tone toward homosexuality, appeared to break with the position of the Roman Catholic Church by supporting civil unions for same-sex couples, according to remarks Francis made in a new documentary that debuted in Rome on Wednesday. Speaking about pastoral outreach and care for people who identified as L.G.B.T., Francis directly addresses the issue of civil unions in the film.

"Homosexual people have a right to be in a family," he said in the film, which premiered on Wednesday. "They are children of God and have a right to a family. Nobody should be thrown out or made miserable over it. What we have to create is a civil union law. That way they are legally covered."

He added that he "stood up for that", apparently referring to when he was Archbishop of Buenos Aires and, although opposing same-sex marriages in law, he supported some legal protections for the rights of same-sex couples. As well as the Pope's comments on civil unions, the film also shows him encouraging two gay men to attend church with their three children.

The film Francesco, about the life and work of Pope Francis, premiered as part of the Rome Film Festival.

x

This is an extraordinary moment, considering the attitude that the Catholic Church has adopted towards gays for its entire existence. 

I'm not even Catholic, and it makes me feel good to actually see a Pope try to live up to what Jesus preached.  

On 10/21/2020 at 11:40 AM, Kirjava said:

This is great to hear!

Watch the next pope (which hopefully won't happen for a while) denounce these statements tho. dead2

Read several statements from a few archbishops and cardinals doing just this.

Ill just say this, I love it when religious folks lather on the sanctimonious horseshit about marriage. It’s almost as if they don’t know that for most of history, the act of the marriage was basically one old dude trading his daughter for a mule to help plow the field.

And that gay people existed long before their god did.

8 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Read several statements from a few archbishops and cardinals doing just this.

Ill just say this, I love it when religious folks lather on the sanctimonious horseshit about marriage. It’s almost as if they don’t know that for most of history, the act of the marriage was basically one old dude trading his daughter for a mule to help plow the field.

And that gay people existed long before their god did.

Ikr! 

Their argument is always "gay is unnatural!"

Bitch, it's more natural than the institute of marriage. um2 That's man-made. Homosexuality occurs in hundreds of species apart from humans.

Meh, it's nice that someone with influence has voiced some level of support but it still feels too little too late. They're only saying this because it's "became popular" in many influential countries. 

On 10/21/2020 at 6:20 PM, Princess Aurora said:

Now you all know why civil unions are legal in Italy oprah6 I'm wondering when same-sex marriage will pass though.

I didn't realise Italy doesn't have Same Sex marriage yet. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.