Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Katy Petty

Positions...

15 minutes ago, Earth Ripper said:

Casual, extremely well-executed continuation of her amazing career. Like she never left, which is perfect. She didn't need a comeback because... she never stopped slaying. The song is great, the production is stellar, the music video is impressively directed (and acted, well done, Ari),... I'm living nicki6 Completely satisfied. This album is gonna be great.

Ari's suffered these "bland", "boring", "same old" etc. reviews for years now because gay men still have a hard time wrapping their head around R&B (or anything that doesn't have a Europop chorus/beat or structure, basically) so I'm not surprised to see these reactions moo1 After I've seen countless people saying Sweetener and TUN were downgrades (DOWNGRADES!!!) from DW I've given up on most pop forum commentary on her anyway.

My babe scalping like that, whew clap3 

I think for those who don't like it it'll be a grower. It feels too generic and lacks a hook, but my opinion might change once the album is out. The lead single doesn't always have to be the strongest single. There's been countless times over the years where the second or third single has been the strongest. 7 Rings, We Belong Together, Toxic, Hollaback Girl etc.  

What is up with these Moo stans being so damn loud in BG all of a sudden when their fave is the definition of basic, bland and calculated??? dead2 Sorry, but y’all don’t get to speak on that matter. The same goes for Smile stans.

Anyway, I personally think that Positions is fairly calculated and bland for my personal liking. It’s not bad at all but also not a huge progression, sadly. A very safe lead single choice. The video is cute, the song is cute but definitely nothing groundbreaking. Does that mean the rest of the album will suck? I don’t think so. I usually dislike lead singles from pretty much anyone, so my hype hasn’t died down because of a slightly underwhelming lead single.

20 minutes ago, Madonna said:

What is up with these Moo stans being so damn loud in BG all of a sudden when their fave is the definition of basic, bland and calculated??? dead2 Sorry, but y’all don’t get to speak on that matter. The same goes for Smile stans.

Anyway, I personally think that Positions is fairly calculated and bland for my personal liking. It’s not bad at all but also not a huge progression, sadly. A very safe lead single choice. The video is cute, the song is cute but definitely nothing groundbreaking. Does that mean the rest of the album will suck? I don’t think so. I usually dislike lead singles from pretty much anyone, so my hype hasn’t died down because of a slightly underwhelming lead single.

Every single fucking time, Madonna. Every single fucking time you found way to insert MC into anything. Maybe you are the one who needs to find life. Ah, nevermind. You're the sensitive guy aren't you? Weirdo.

Sounds a bit bland I guess, I'm not too sure how to feel about it. It just doesn't hit the same as all her other lead singles, we had No Tears and TUN on the last two albums, and those were bangers jj3

6 hours ago, Earth Ripper said:

Ari's suffered these "bland", "boring", "same old" etc. reviews for years now because gay men still have a hard time wrapping their head around R&B (or anything that doesn't have a Europop chorus/beat or structure, basically) so I'm not surprised to see these reactions 

orly1 

Just because people stan pure pop or whatever, doesn't mean they can't tell if r'n'b song is basic or not.

Why should we act that a simple r'n'b song is something creative and different, if it isn't? oprah14 

Even a basic song can be  a good song. Just because you or fan community stan the song, doesn't make it great. Madonna fans like Ghosttown a lot and it was one of the highlights on its album, but the song was basic. So, let's be more objective.  lj1 

In Ariana's case, Positions is basic and cute, but I think the production is good. Probably the best production of a single so far in Ariana's catalogue.

2 hours ago, SeekingThrill said:

orly1 

Just because people stan pure pop or whatever, doesn't mean they can't tell if r'n'b song is basic or not.

Why should we act that a simple r'n'b song is something creative and different, if it isn't? oprah14 

Even a basic song can be  a good song. Just because you or fan community stan the song, doesn't make it great. Madonna fans like Ghosttown a lot and it was one of the highlights on its album, but the song was basic. So, let's be more objective.  lj1 

In Ariana's case, Positions is basic and cute, but I think the production is good. Probably the best production of a single so far in Ariana's catalogue.

Well, I don't think anyone's saying Positions is super creative and out of the box. I myself said it was a casual continuation of her well-known momentum, so it was already implied in what I said.

But to just call it "basic" and "bland" mad8 You're right, Ghosttown was extremely basic. Basic as in Eurovision 2006 basic. Positions is not that. Positions is just one more well executed Ariana song. Not more, not less. But definitely not a song I think we should be using as an example of what's "bland and basic" in 2020. We have plenty of other pop releases so far to be eligible gaga12

1 hour ago, Katy Petty said:

The stupid Phaya eating this up. She could record herself shitting while having diarrhea and her sheep fans are will make it debut #1 for a week lol3

Katy did that with Smell and you‘re stanning, so I don’t see your point, really. jj1 

10 hours ago, Bionic-AHHH! said:

Every single fucking time, Madonna. Every single fucking time you found way to insert MC into anything. Maybe you are the one who needs to find life. Ah, nevermind. You're the sensitive guy aren't you? Weirdo.

It's a sad existence he lives. Such anger and vulgar negativity towards popstars he's never met, it's a borderline obsession. 

the song is a disappointment there’s no doubt. but I also wouldn’t call it bad. my feeling is not that this is like in her bottom tier or even a bad song at all. i’d still give it a solid 7. i’m just disappointed in it and i’m sure we’ll find an album full of better leads. it doesn’t show much growth, she played it very safe. i don’t hear how it sounds like GIAW like some people do, it’s got it’s own identity, but it’s very much status quo for her at this point. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.