Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Madonna

Is Pissitions the biggest disappointment of 2020?

Its not disapointing for me as i wasnt waiting for it lol1

Listening to the whole thing is like listening to typical arianna song on repeat over and over again, its all the same shrug1

It gets super boring in after few songs. 

I dont think that this album would feel mature, creative or groundbreaking for anyone over 15 jj4

Well, she's building this sound. Bland as it may seem but that's her forte I guess. (Or probably Scooter's.)

I honestly wanted her to do something along the lines of Back to Basics by Xtina or Back to Black by Amy Winehouse. That would for sure make ma stan ha. 

She's been releasing the same trap album for three consecutive  times in a row.

But again I reiterate, I respect Ariana as a vocalist but creatively speaking, she stunted after Sweetener and TUN. 

Positions is not a bad album upon listening to it but it's not something that I would go back to.

To drag this album for not being an evolution or something ground breaking is a disservice to the album. 

It's not fair to hold it to that standard when it's clear that was never her aim. I'm looking at this album in a similar way to how I looked at Norman Fucking Rockwell: it's nothing new, it's not all that different from what came before it, but it's the most refined and confident iteration of the sound. It's clear Ari's been working to firmly establish her sound and now that she's done that, it's reasonable for her to focus on perfecting it. That's not to say she won't ever evolve because she very well may and probably will, but that's not what she's doing right now and that's okay. 

It's okay not to love it, but just because you don't love it doesn't make objectively shit so stop talking to people who do like it like enjoying it makes them an idiot.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

To drag this album for not being an evolution or something ground breaking is a disservice to the album. 

It's not fair to hold it to that standard when it's clear that was never her aim. I'm looking at this album in a similar way to how I looked at Norman Fucking Rockwell: it's nothing new, it's not all that different from what came before it, but it's the most refined and confident iteration of the sound. It's clear Ari's been working to firmly establish her sound and now that she's done that, it's reasonable for her to focus on perfecting it. That's not to say she won't ever evolve because she very well may and probably will, but that's not what she's doing right now and that's okay. 

It's okay not to love it, but just because you don't love it doesn't make objectively shit so stop talking to people who do like it like enjoying it makes them an idiot.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 

It is absolutely fair cause we have every right to judge the overall quality of the music which is simply subpar.

18 hours ago, Madonna said:

It is absolutely fair cause we have every right to judge the overall quality of the music which is simply subpar.

What about it is subpar?

Like. I dunno how you can sit there and become a stan from tun, but act like this is the worst album she's released/worst album of the year? That just straight up makes no damn sense.

8 hours ago, Strobo said:

What about it is subpar?

Like. I dunno how you can sit there and become a stan from tun, but act like this is the worst album she's released/worst album of the year? That just straight up makes no damn sense.

It’s just not interesting sonically. It sounds like every shit Scooter’s minions have released. The soft trap/RnB vibe is so over and done with at this point. Most of the songs are not catchy or exciting and they just seem to blend into one another. 
Cohesion is good but there is a line where cohesion gets to a point where it’s hard to tell songs apart. This new album overall sounds like a Mariah album and that woman, in my humble opinion, is one of the most boring and uninteresting singers to ever exist. She tried to hop on that lo-fi trend which is what people listen to while trying to sleep or study. She definitely succeeded with that. This songs made me fall asleep faster than Baldrian.

Ariana’s diction on this album is at its most mumbly. I can’t make out half the shit she says. Aside from that, this album doesn’t seem to have a strong underlying concept. TUN had the journal/diary concept which tied songs that weren’t as cohesive into a strong body of work. My least favourite from TUN is In My Head cause it’s the most bland and least catchy. Unfortunately, Pissitions sounds like a bunch of replicas of that song. It’s her least inventive, least catchy album. It’s like a wallflower compared to her other albums. There are no clear standouts, it’s just a bunch of “chill” songs for pothead fags who listen to elevator music 24/7.

3 hours ago, Madonna said:

It’s just not interesting sonically. It sounds like every shit Scooter’s minions have released. The soft trap/RnB vibe is so over and done with at this point. Most of the songs are not catchy or exciting and they just seem to blend into one another. 
Cohesion is good but there is a line where cohesion gets to a point where it’s hard to tell songs apart. This new album overall sounds like a Mariah album and that woman, in my humble opinion, is one of the most boring and uninteresting singers to ever exist. She tried to hop on that lo-fi trend which is what people listen to while trying to sleep or study. She definitely succeeded with that. This songs made me fall asleep faster than Baldrian.

Ariana’s diction on this album is at its most mumbly. I can’t make out half the shit she says. Aside from that, this album doesn’t seem to have a strong underlying concept. TUN had the journal/diary concept which tied songs that weren’t as cohesive into a strong body of work. My least favourite from TUN is In My Head cause it’s the most bland and least catchy. Unfortunately, Pissitions sounds like a bunch of replicas of that song. It’s her least inventive, least catchy album. It’s like a wallflower compared to her other albums. There are no clear standouts, it’s just a bunch of “chill” songs for pothead fags who listen to elevator music 24/7.

Ngl I didn't actually expect a proper answer and I can completely respect that!

This album seeks out a very specific vibe out of the style Ari has been making for the past few years, which makes it a lot more consistent. Problem is, if you like the curve balls or different things she would do with Trap&B you don't really get that here.

And the Mariah comparison? Completely fair, in some places it reminds me of Caution and overall Ariana's vibe it recent years feels like what would happen if Mariah were a 10s artist. It's why I'm surprised you even bothered to stan her in the first place because you make your distaste for Mariah loud and clear.

All I can say is if you expect Ariana to stray from this lo-fi trap&b sound you're gonna keep being disappointed. For whatever reason she seems to have claimed it as hers and until she gets bored and decides to pull a 180 it's here to stay.

5 hours ago, Madonna said:

What you’re looking for is instant gratification and if you don’t get it upon your first couple of listens you immediately close your mind to it. I recognize that because I used to be like that as well at one point. 

Yes these songs are “chill” (nothing wrong with that sis, I don’t get where you caught the elevator music reference from smh) but their greatness lies in their subtlety. There’s power in that and it’s way harder to achieve than the Pop record you’re looking for. Literally, the songs you crave are the easiest songs to craft and in reality they are probably too beneath and boring for Ariana to record - I sure hope we never get a Dangerous Woman or God Is A Woman from her. Well produced? Sure. But these songs age like a motherfucker while the “chill R&B” soundscape you loathe remains timeless because believe it or not time exposes the former to be monotonous as fuck and latter for the dynamic songs they are. 

1 hour ago, Strobo said:

Ngl I didn't actually expect a proper answer and I can completely respect that!

This album seeks out a very specific vibe out of the style Ari has been making for the past few years, which makes it a lot more consistent. Problem is, if you like the curve balls or different things she would do with Trap&B you don't really get that here.

And the Mariah comparison? Completely fair, in some places it reminds me of Caution and overall Ariana's vibe it recent years feels like what would happen if Mariah were a 10s artist. It's why I'm surprised you even bothered to stan her in the first place because you make your distaste for Mariah loud and clear.

All I can say is if you expect Ariana to stray from this lo-fi trap&b sound you're gonna keep being disappointed. For whatever reason she seems to have claimed it as hers and until she gets bored and decides to pull a 180 it's here to stay.

And it’s completely unfair to just call it all “the same” like are we hearing the same arrangements? 

37 minutes ago, Jjang said:

And it’s completely unfair to just call it all “the same” like are we hearing the same arrangements? 

Oh yeah it's definitely not all the same. motive, my hair, love language and positions are all very different.

I guess he's just looking for either songs that instantly hit, or felt it was too close to Mariah's music and just instantly wrote it off as a result.

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

What you’re looking for is instant gratification and if you don’t get it upon your first couple of listens you immediately close your mind to it. I recognize that because I used to be like that as well at one point. 

Yes these songs are “chill” (nothing wrong with that sis, I don’t get where you caught the elevator music reference from smh) but their greatness lies in their subtlety. There’s power in that and it’s way harder to achieve than the Pop record you’re looking for. Literally, the songs you crave are the easiest songs to craft and in reality they are probably too beneath and boring for Ariana to record - I sure hope we never get a Dangerous Woman or God Is A Woman from her. Well produced? Sure. But these songs age like a motherfucker while the “chill R&B” soundscape you loathe remains timeless because believe it or not time exposes the former to be monotonous as fuck and latter for the dynamic songs they are. 

1 hour ago, Jjang said:

Bottom line is: You are more into chill RnB music such as Frank Ocean, etc. And I am more into music that is more layered in terms of production with strong choruses that are memorable. Positions is vibey (sort of like Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Frank Oceans music...the things you usually prefer). That's absolutely not what I'm looking for when I listen to someone such as Ariana and the GP doesn't either (seeing as how TUN was an instant success whereas Positions is shaping up to go down a Changes route). The album is also pretty calculated if you ask me. Shallow lyrics about sex paired with "trendy" lo-fi beats that sound too reminiscent of JB's album. This was definitely a Scooter Braun idea. 

So yeah...I'm not here for this album because it's very much the opposite of what I'm looking for in music. On the other hand, it's something that is seemingly very much of your liking, so good for you.

32 minutes ago, Madonna said:

Bottom line is: You are more into chill RnB music such as Frank Ocean, etc. And I am more into music that is more layered in terms of production with strong choruses that are memorable. Positions is vibey (sort of like Erotica, Bedtime Stories, Frank Oceans music...the things you usually prefer). That's absolutely not what I'm looking for when I listen to someone such as Ariana and the GP doesn't either (seeing as how TUN was an instant success whereas Positions is shaping up to go down a Changes route). The album is also pretty calculated if you ask me. Shallow lyrics about sex paired with "trendy" lo-fi beats that sound too reminiscent of JB's album. This was definitely a Scooter Braun idea. 

So yeah...I'm not here for this album because it's very much the opposite of what I'm looking for in music. On the other hand, it's something that is seemingly very much of your liking, so good for you.

Okay then just say that good sis! No need to belittle it and act like it’s subpar quality. 

13 hours ago, Royalty said:

Imagine calling an album with a #1 single a disappointment gag1 

What does getting a #1 single have to do with the album being a disappointment? That’s like saying Changes isn’t JB’s biggest flop or disappointment because Yummy went to #1. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.