Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

The Overrating of Ari

Every stars have been there at least once in their career. Now, this woman has begun her overrated phase. She's snatching number one debuts left and right and everybody with their pets are all talking about her ever-glowing career. But let the stans decide, is she deserving of the high praise that her fanbase and some GP have been giving her lately? Is her music actually on par with the greats that have come before her? Are her stans, the Arianators, worse than the Beyhives? Worse than Megatrons? Let's discuss.

I'm just gonna say this, at least Brandy was already credited as a vocal Bible, as controversial as it is, by the time Afrodisiac was released. At least Full Moon is famous among R&B artists/musicians for being the Blackout (read: Bible) of R&B. Now, which work of Ari does have that level of reverence? Sweetener? But her stans hated that one. Thank U, Next? Just another MPG release during ha prime. Dangerous Woman? You mean ha bad gyal moment? Really? Hm, maybe.

3 hours ago, Bionic-AHHH! said:

Is her music actually on par with the greats that have come before her?

To answer your question. Nope. She has yet to surpass Britney, Christina, Gaga, Bey to even be able to touch Mariah, Madonna and Kylie musically. 

As much as she is talented, she's pretty one dimensional creatively. Sweetener, TUN, and Positions all sound the same. But that's the sound the she's building her career on and we can't blame her for her creative direction. That's on her and if her fans love her songs then cool but for me it's just boring so I'll likely not listen to her albums on repeat maybe once a year I will but that's about it. 

Although I must say, she's ahead of the pack of the new FOTP faves like Selena and Dua in terms if success but musically I think Dua's sound is better for my ears. 

4 minutes ago, Daniel K. said:

To answer you question. Nope. She has yet to surpass Britney, Christina, Gaga, Bey to even be able to touch Mariah, Madonna and Kylie musically. 

As much as she is talented, she's pretty one dimensional creatively. Sweetener, TUN, and Positions all sound the same. But that's the sound the she's building her career on and we can't blame her for her creative direction. That's on her and if her fans love her songs then cool but for me it's just boring so I'll likely not listen to her albums on repeat maybe once a year I will but that's about it. 

Although I must say, she's ahead of the pack of the new FOTP faves like Selena and Dua in terms if success but musically I think Dua's sound is better for my ears. 

Mte. Ariana sings circles around everyone else but imo she sounds the same, tho i concede RnB is just not my thing

23 minutes ago, VoiceOfTheQueen said:

Mte. Ariana sings circles around everyone else but imo she sounds the same, tho i concede RnB is just not my thing

Yes, she is a wonderful singer but her songs sounds the same in her last three albums.

I think she showed more of a personality in My Everything despite the fact that some songs seemed dated.

If she released an album along the veins of tattoed heart (one of the few ariana songs I like) then I may change my mind

Did we all listen to the same 3 albums? Because when I listen to it, I can hear a clear difference between sweetener, tun and positions rip4 

55 minutes ago, Royalty said:

Did we all listen to the same 3 albums? Because when I listen to it, I can hear a clear difference between sweetener, tun and positions rip4 

If we want comparisons, its easily the same type of progression as the Music Box-Daydream-Butterfly line-up (not saying the quality is on par, I just mean the style and the differences between them). Same thing as like Oops-Britney-In The Zone. Like, the musical differences aren't so big. They're slow changes and progressions. It's easy to point out differences on albums 20+ years old. But it's different when they're all really recent/recently lived through. All of Ari's recent albums sound fairly modern and like her sound. But there's still a progression there. If small.

Shitty thread title aside, I don't think she's in her "overrated" phase. (Is that even a thing? rip4). I just think she currently approaching her peak. That plus the fact that she makes music that appeal to the general public and that is (in my opinion anyways) good.

2 hours ago, Bionic-AHHH! said:
  1. But let the stans decide, is she deserving of the high praise that her fanbase and some GP have been giving her lately?
  2. Is her music actually on par with the greats that have come before her?
  3. Are her stans, the Arianators, worse than the Beyhives? Worse than Megatrons? Let's discuss.
  4. Now, which work of Ari does have that level of reverence? Sweetener? But her stans hated that one. Thank U, Next? Just another MPG release during ha prime.
  1. Well given that she one of the few popstars to have all the following (Killer vocals, catchy tunes, mainstream appeal, commercial success and critical appeal [Minus My Everything rip4]) I think she is worthy of it. Who else from her generation at the moment has any of these? The Weeknd maybe. She's one of those standout popstars that deliver in every aspect (Mariah in the 90s and Beyonce in the early to mid 2010s)
  2. No, well not right now. Her discography is honestly still too small to compare to the greats. She also hasn't been out long enough (barely a decade tbh) to warrant that comparison. (It is telling that she's already people compared to the them despite her debut single on coming out 9 years ago)
  3. They can be annoying (coming from an Arianator) but I don't think they as bad as Bey and especially not Nicki. Her stanbase has done some things that have triggered me off though
  4. I don't think she's released her "magnum opus" yet. Honestly I think the best is yet to come from Ari but that could just be me talking as a fan. Currently I'd say her magnum opus right now is between Sweetener (She took a risk with this album and it paid off both critically and commercially), Dangerous Woman (People absolutely adore that album and while it's not my fave a lot of her biggest songs, which will be considered classics a decade or two from now, are from this album) and thank u, next (Same as Sweetener but also has the added bonus of being her most personal album).
3 hours ago, Luca said:

So pressed because of her success it's actually concerning. true1

I say it's normal reaction. Some stans would also have the same reaction had somebody else experience a massive surge in popularity and fame.  true1

6 hours ago, Lynk said:

Shitty thread title aside, I don't think she's in her "overrated" phase. (Is that even a thing? rip4). I just think she currently approaching her peak. That plus the fact that she makes music that appeal to the general public and that is (in my opinion anyways) good.

Approaching a peak for an artist IS their overrated phase. Just like how Mariah was massively overrated by the time Heartbreaker got released, or Janet with All for You. Don't even get me started with the male counterparts, like Bieber or Drake. They have gone past their overrated phase + peak yet still selling so much because we all know that sexism still does exist within the entertainment community.

I argued that Ari is entering her overrated phase because of how easy it is for her to gain accolades in spite of the seemingly weaker/subpar current material compared to what she already had in her discography.

59 minutes ago, Bionic-AHHH! said:

I say it's normal reaction. Some stans would also have the same reaction had somebody else experience a massive surge in popularity and fame.  true1

Lol just because she's popular and her music is not cup of your tea does not equal the fact she's overrated. This is like your 3rd thread about Ariana this week in a span of a week? The obsession is showing sis. true1 

12 minutes ago, Luca said:

Lol just because she's popular and her music is not cup of your tea does not equal the fact she's overrated. This is like your 3rd thread about Ariana this week in a span of a week? The obsession is showing sis. true1 

Burn ha sis

1 hour ago, Luca said:

Am I obsessed on her? Is having criticism count as obsession? Maybe not, maybe yes. Depends on how each people view it. Also, her music is my cup of tea. I literally spent my time creating a thread where I defended Sweetener at one point because I like it very much, especially Get Well Soon. But ok, everybody is a crazy hater in a world somewhere I guess. true1 

You people love to call these artist overrated when they are succeeding and prospering in their careers. She's released six albums and has consistently promoted her albums and singles and toured around the globe. She's vocally talented which no one can deny and her songs are catchy. She deserves all the success she's getting .

You guys love to bash beyonce as well when this woman has been in the game for over a decade gracing us with her beautiful vocals and great performances.

bey1 

Ariana success grew organically it took her five years to earn her first #1 which is almost a decade she has grown not only as an singer but human being other artist peaked way too early in their careers in two years especially now with streaming and payola just because some artists don't have ariana talents and power does not mean she is overrated if she was overrated she would be flopping which clearly she not also lets mention her work effort this woman released three albums and toured crossed the world in two years and is paying off yall will discredit anybody with #1S as if arianators isn't spending their hard earned money buying her songs and the fact you said she has 0 impact when everyone was saying thank u next for six whole months at least is upsetting  and she did all of this in 2 years 

3 hours ago, GRANDESPOV said:

Ariana success grew organically it took her five years to earn her first #1 which is almost a decade she has grown not only as an singer but human being other artist peaked way too early in their careers in two years especially now with streaming and payola just because some artists don't have ariana talents and power does not mean she is overrated if she was overrated she would be flopping which clearly she not also lets mention her work effort this woman released three albums and toured crossed the world in two years and is paying off yall will discredit anybody with #1S as if arianators isn't spending their hard earned money buying her songs and the fact you said she has 0 impact when everyone was saying thank u next for six whole months at least is upsetting  and she did all of this in 2 years 

This is why reading is a skill. Never have I ever implied that she has no impact. In fact, in another thread that questioned her impact in the music industry, I literally defended her from an OP. All I said in my OP above is that I think Ariana's current career is overrated and that her music hasn't seen any kind of universal reverence except for arguably selected few a.k.a. DW, Sweetener, and TU,N. That's it. Also I see her career as overrated because she's suddenly snatching records left and right, meanwhile some of her number one debuts are comparably weaker to her other non-number one singles prior to 2019/2020.

3 minutes ago, Bionic-AHHH! said:

This is why reading is a skill. Never have I ever implied that she has no impact. In fact, in another thread that questioned her impact in the music industry, I literally defended her from an OP. All I said in my OP above is that I think Ariana's current career is overrated and that her music hasn't seen any kind of universal reverence except for arguably selected few a.k.a. DW, Sweetener, and TU,N. That's it. Also I see her career as overrated because she's suddenly snatching records left and right, meanwhile some of her number one debuts are comparably weaker to her other non-number one singles prior to 2019/2020.

all I'm gonna say hard works pays off and ari worked hard as hell and the stuffs paying off in this industry especially with cancel culture there is no such thing as being overrated so she doing a great job  

6 hours ago, Yungmiami_305 said:

You people love to call these artist overrated when they are succeeding and prospering in their careers. She's released six albums and has consistently promoted her albums and singles and toured around the globe. She's vocally talented which no one can deny and her songs are catchy. She deserves all the success she's getting .

You guys love to bash beyonce as well when this woman has been in the game for over a decade gracing us with her beautiful vocals and great performances.

bey1 

This is so wrong. First of all, I wouldn't call her overrated if her material/music could match up the accolades. Yes, it might be a subjective view on this matter, however critical acclaim can sometimes TRULY explains why some products succeed commercially. Ariana was setting records since DW, I would say, and I never even complained about ha flourishing career outside of petty & joke-y "oh she's a Mariah copy huh" manner. I love Sweetener and I really like Thank U, Next because the material is very much great. With Positions, it's not only moi who feel that the music is lacking something, yet the title track/lead single still debuted at number 1. A number one debut...for the fifth time. bey4

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.