Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Ruthless Love

Dua Lipa Says Viral Dance "Messed with My Mental Health"

dua_2.jpg.750x400_q85_box-0,1,1782,951_crop_detail.jpg

Dua Lipa has had to develop a thicker skin than most as she sheds light on the anxiety she experienced after being targeted by trolls.

Gracing the front cover of the Attitude December issue, out now to download and to order globally, Britain’s biggest pop star reveals how online bullies shook her confidence and self-belief.

“I experienced a s*** tonne at the end of my first record, and it was definitely something that gave me anxiety and made me upset and made me feel like I wasn’t good enough and made me feel like, maybe I’m not meant to be here and on the stage,” she recalls.

“Even after the Grammys, some people were like, ‘Well, she doesn’t deserve it.’”

Dua – who won best new artist and best dance recording at the Grammys last year – is all too aware of the video of her dancing that went viral, doing the rounds as a mocking meme.

“There were so many things, especially when you start out, like a video of me dancing and they’re like, ‘Ah well, she has no stage presence’ – but they’d never been to one of my shows, they’d never seen me perform.

"They would take one small snippet and run with it and it would become a whole thing,” she explains.

“For a short period of time, it messed with my mental health. You know, I’d go on stage and if somebody was filming me, in my head, I wasn’t, like, ‘Oh, they’re filming me because they want to keep it.’ I was like, ‘They’re going to film it so they can laugh at me or something.”

However, the ‘IDGAF’ singer refused to buckle and insists the episode made her tougher in the long run.

She continues: “Yeah, it was a tough time, but I’m also so grateful for experience because I became so much stronger. I became so much more confident after that.

"Now I know what I’m good at; I know how to be good at what I do; [and] I know how much work it takes to be good at what I do.”

x

I thought this was so mean - I went to three of her concerts before she released Future Nostalgia and her stage presence was amazing, she was a lot of fun! It makes me sad to read this and I hope she feels better now <3 

12 minutes ago, Royalty said:

I thought this was so mean - I went to three of her concerts before she released Future Nostalgia and her stage presence was amazing, she was a lot of fun! It makes me sad to read this and I hope she feels better now <3 

I hope she is feeling better mentally now.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.