Jump to content

Sia lashes out at dozens of people after being called out for ableism

Recommended Posts

sia-red-live-2015-ap-billboard-1548-768x433.jpg

Quote

Sia has been accused of ableism for casting Maddie Ziegler as a teenager with non-verbal autism in her feature film debut.

The Chandelier singer has directed and co-written the upcoming film Music, starring Kate Hudson, Leslie Odom Jr and dancer and frequent collaborator Ziegler, with the trailer for the film dropping this week. However, there has already been backlash to the trailer due to the casting of 18-year-old Ziegler – who is not on the autism spectrum – as a teenager, Music, who has non-verbal autism.

Sia, 44, has also been called out for her responses to some of her critics, including suggesting that an actor with autism who was not asked to audition may have been a ‘bad actor’. The Australian singer has insisted that Music is ‘both a love letter to caregivers and to the autism community. I have my own unique view of the community,  and felt it is underrepresented and compelled to make it. If that makes me a s*** I’m a s***, but my intentions are awesome.’

x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not seen the movie so i can't comment on the portrayal but I dont really see the issue with a neurotypical actor playing the part of an autistic person so long as the portrayal is relatively accurate and not a mockery. 

 

This just seems to be people wanting to cancel someone again... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see the issue with this casting; HOWEVER Sia's obsession with Maddie Ziegler is incredibly strange and she needs to get over it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not shine an accurate and genuine light on the character and disability by choosing an actor with the same origin? Makes far more sense. This goes beyond autism, it's found in every spectrum of the movie industry which is sad tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

I've not seen the movie so i can't comment on the portrayal but I dont really see the issue with a neurotypical actor playing the part of an autistic person so long as the portrayal is relatively accurate and not a mockery. 

 

This just seems to be people wanting to cancel someone again... 

Mte. 

I mean, what more do people want? She sounds like she did her research and genuinely tried to work with an autistic girl to play the part. Understandably, that could be a stressful situation for someone who's non-verbal. Twitter is just doing the most again, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fab said:

also she's not "lashing out" lmao, she's just addressing the criticism oprah11 

Fair enough true1 

I actually take more of a middle route on the casting issue, however I do feel that she could've addressed the criticism better. Responding to an autistic actor who is speaking on the issue by calling them a "bad actor" while emphasizing how she's doing this movie in "good faith" is not only hypocritical, it's cruel. She can't claim to be elevating a community and shut down someone who is a part of that community when they speak on the issue at the same time. Not to mention her seemingly wanting a pat on the back for not casting autistic people as "fucking prostitutes".

So I agree with some of her points (to an extent), and I'm sure Sia is a lovely person whose heart on the issue is indeed in the right place, but a lot of her responses come off as incredibly tone deaf, especially for someone claiming they've done "three fucking years of research". 

Could this all just mostly be Twitter being Twitter? Absolutely. But also I can understand why some people are genuinely angry about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where was this outrage for Wonder, the film about a boy with Treacher Collins syndrome, though?

I do think Sia is frustrated and she's going at this very wrongly rih9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Miss Show Business said:

Mte. 

I mean, what more do people want? She sounds like she did her research and genuinely tried to work with an autistic girl to play the part. Understandably, that could be a stressful situation for someone who's non-verbal. Twitter is just doing the most again, imo.

Agree, I'm on the autistic spectrum so I'm speaking from that perspective and although I don't speak for everyone it really doesn't bother me. Its the same with straights playing gay characters, I really don't have any problem with it so long as its not mocking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Billie Frank said:

Agree, I'm on the autistic spectrum so I'm speaking from that perspective and although I don't speak for everyone it really doesn't bother me. Its the same with straights playing gay characters, I really don't have any problem with it so long as its not mocking. 

I just watched the trailer for Siamese's movie, and it's actually borderline mocking and overexaggerated; so I would say she deserved the backlash, but not from the "this needs to play this" perspective, more from the "misrepresentation" perspective.

 

This is definitely not signs of autism, especially not at that age... dead2rih9

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cha Eunwoo said:

I just watched the trailer for Siamese's movie, and it's actually borderline mocking and overexaggerated; so I would say she deserved the backlash, but not from the "this needs to play this" perspective, more from the "misrepresentation" perspective.

 

This is definitely not signs of autism, especially not at that age... dead2rih9

 

dead2 I can see why there was backlash. I was just saying I dont see the issue with a neurotypical person playing an autistic person specifically as that seemed to be what people were ranting about rather than the actual portrayal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Twitter stays being messy brit5

Sia should’ve known better than to pay any attention to the people on there since they’re always trolling or complaining about anything and everything. I mean they didn’t even bother to keep the criticism to themselves and actually wait until she released the damn movie jj3

With that said, Sia might’ve had good intentions for the movie but this Twitter mess and the fact that it took 3+ years to release the movie shows that she should’ve just canceled this project wendy3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the backlash would have faded quickly had she not engaged....MULTIPLE times. and...girl come on, who cares if they're raging? was it really gonna hurt the movie that significantly? no. and nobody was falling over themselves to see it anyway...engaging and bringing more attention to the controversy just made such an avoidable mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it should be to see the movie first but not to be mean on Twitter autism is for many different people 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Browsing now   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×