Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

GRAMMYs respond to The Weeknd's claims of corruption

The Weeknd Variety Cover Story

Toward the end of a dramatic day that saw The Weeknd, whose music has dominated 2020, shut out of all Grammy nominations, leading him to accuse the Recording Academy of corruption and a lack of transparency, Recording Academy chief Harvey Mason, jr. has responded to his claims.

"We understand that The Weeknd is disappointed at not being nominated,” he wrote. “I was surprised and can empathize with what he’s feeling. His music this year was excellent, and his contributions to the music community and broader world are worthy of everyone’s admiration. We were thrilled when we found out he would be performing at the upcoming Super Bowl and we would have loved to have him also perform on the Grammy stage the weekend before."

“Unfortunately, every year, there are fewer nominations than the number of deserving artists.  But as the only peer-voted music award, we will continue to recognize and celebrate excellence in music while shining a light on the many amazing artists that make up our global community. To be clear, voting in all categories ended well before The Weeknd’s performance at the Super Bowl was announced, so in no way could it have affected the nomination process. All Grammy nominees are recognized by the voting body for their excellence,” he concludes, “and we congratulate them all.”

x

More on the interview:

He used a strong word in characterizing the Grammys—“corrupt.” Your reaction to that?

It saddened me. I try to empathize with where that came from, but it was difficult to hear. I can understand he’s disappointed [at being shut out]. Everybody at the academy understands that he’s disappointed. I was personally surprised that he was not nominated.

Have you reached out to him to try to talk to him today?
I have, yes. I have not spoken to Abel [Tesfaye, The Weeknd’s birth name], but I have spoken to his representatives and his label.

What did you tell them?
I think it’s probably best that I keep that conversation between the two of us. We had a couple phone calls.

Did you ask to speak to Abel?
No, I did not.

Might he still perform on the show?
The Weeknd has always been someone that the Academy has respected. I think a decision of that magnitude as far as the show would be made by Ben Winston. We’ve had him on the show [twice] in the past, and he’s always done incredible performances for us.

x

4 minutes ago, Max said:

Celebrate excellence

Let me look at these nominations again... ellie1 

Justin:

yeah you got that yummy-yum, that yummy-yum, that yummy-yummy, yummy-yummy

Grammys: 

EKcLEHcU4AAkxjH.jpg

1 hour ago, Snow said:

Literally why is even Coldplay nominated for AOTY? I didn't even know they released an album dead4 

It’s their worst and was a deserved nonevent. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.