Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Shawn's documentary gets 38% rating on RT

Recommended Posts

fhHwnT1.png

Shawn Mendes' documentary 'Shawn Mendes: In Wonder' has received a score of 38% on Rotten Tomatoes after initially debuting with 33%.

REVIEWS

"If he has a dark side, there's no trace of it here."

"When it was done, I wasn't sure I had watched anything at all."

"It's a pity that the documentary vehicle that surrounds him isn't more forthcoming about the man beneath the wife beaters and airtight skinny jeans who sends so many swooning, but surely must, at times, feel lonely late at night like the rest of us."

x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be mean but he doesn’t look like someone who could have had much of a problem to settle as an artist or is interesting enough to make a documentary about. The documentary seemed panned on arrival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not wholly unexpected honestly. While I personally enjoyed the film a great deal, I won’t deny that it could’ve been so much more than it is. It approaches really getting into places that were worth exploring, namely his anxiety/depression battles and how at odds he is with his own image and celebrity, but it pulls back at the last minute from actually going there. It was a mistake hiring a man who had only ever directed music videos to handle the film and just by watching interviews of the man speaking about it, it’s clear how in over his head he was. The material for something deeper is there and like I said, approached but ultimately is turned away from. Overall it lacked a real direction. It only hit bullet points of his life rather than taking the time to explore things about him that make him who he is and hadn’t been seen before. 

The concert film however is a rousing success and is genuinely one of the best shot shows I’ve ever seen. I don’t know what production company handled the concert film but they did an amazing job. The camerawork is beautiful, the shots are breathtaking, and the editing is PERFECT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2020 at 9:51 AM, Snow said:

"When it was done, I wasn't sure I had watched anything at all."

I said this and then Shawn fans sent me his success numbers as if they made him an interesting documentary subject. (love ya tho but seems I was right)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shawn Mendes is just a musician. A good one, tbh; but not an artist. So there's not much that he can show apart from his music.

Who convinced him of doing this? It would have worked if he, at least, had something important or personal to share with his fans. But a documentary that feels just like a meet and greet experience it's destined to boredom and failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alvarø said:

Shawn Mendes is just a musician. A good one, tbh; but not an artist. So there's not much that he can show apart from his music.

Who convinced him of doing this? It would have worked if he, at least, had something important or personal to share with his fans. But a documentary that feels just like a meet and greet experience it's destined to boredom and failure.

His label and manager tbh. He's spent the majority of the promotional tour talking about not having been super into the idea. All he wanted done was the filming of the Rogers Centre show (which is also available on Netflix and it's fantastic, the visuals are AMAZING) but they lumped a documentary into it. And to just compound that, a director that has only ever done music videos was selected to direct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

His label and manager tbh. He's spent the majority of the promotional tour talking about not having been super into the idea. All he wanted done was the filming of the Rogers Centre show (which is also available on Netflix and it's fantastic, the visuals are AMAZING) but they lumped a documentary into it. And to just compound that, a director that has only ever done music videos was selected to direct. 

I get it now. Shawn's cool and seems passipnatebabout music: I didn't knew that he wasn't a fan of the idea, but I also cannot see him doing something like this without having something to tell. Without soul.

He deserves better. Hope that the dude makes a rockumentary in another five years or something that gets better than this one.  mad4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GlenCoco said:

is it even worth watching?

 

@Mr. Mendes

It is if you go in with the correct expectations. This whole film isn't made to be filled with drama (though there is some), it's meant to be a vessel for him to share the biggest year of his career and show what he's thankful for about his life. It goes into his relationship with his family, his relationship with his friends, and the relationship he has with his fans, all framed around his tour. If you're looking for big life drama like in Part of Me or Five Foot Two or Miss Americana, it's not that. It's a sweet film, you get to see him far more as a person than you do as a celebrity and on that level it's worthwhile. If you like him you'll enjoy it, if you don't like him it's not likely to turn you into a fan. 

The concert film, which is a separate film on Netflix, however is well worth it. Genuinely one of the best filmed shows I've ever seen, the camerawork and editing is fantastic. 

15 minutes ago, Alvarø said:

I get it now. Shawn's cool and seems passipnatebabout music: I didn't knew that he wasn't a fan of the idea, but I also cannot see him doing something like this without having something to tell. Without soul.

He deserves better. Hope that the dude makes a rockumentary in another five years or something that gets better than this one.  mad4

I think he may return to this idea at some point and give it another go. I personally believe he relented and did it because fans have been begging him for something like this for a long time. Before now he'd never released anything that was behind the scenes save for 10 minute tour vlogs and he had never officially released any concert footage either so fans were getting desperate. I think that was his ultimate motivation in saying yes even when he wasn't super into the idea of doing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, Katy Petty said:

He should show his dick next time. It’s all people care about from him. eve1

Mushroom head I imagine cheryl1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Browsing now   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×