Snow

'Saved by the Bell' reboot faces backlash after mocking Selena's health

saved-by-the-bell.jpg

Fans are expressing their outrage after Peacock’s new Saved By the Bell reboot featured several references to the singer’s 2017 kidney transplant. In one scene from the new series, two students at Bayside High are arguing about who Gomez’s transplant donor was (Gomez has openly said it was close friend Francia Raísa). 

“I know for a fact that Selena Gomez’s kidney donor was Justin Bieber’s mom. God I wish that I had my phone so I could prove it,” one character says. “Prove what? That you’re an idiot,” the other student responds. “It was Demi Lovato’s kidney. They’re best friends, like you and I were.”

In another scene, the words “Does Selena Gomez even have a kidney?” also appear to be written on the walls in the school’s hallway.

x

14 minutes ago, Cha Eunwoo said:

dead2

Why were they taking shots at Selena though? Was she part of the show at one point? brit14

No, it's something completely random the writers came up with. They wanted to do a joke, and somehow no one in the entirety of the team that made this show thought about how horribly wrong it could go. dead2

3 minutes ago, Snow said:

No, it's something completely random the writers came up with. They wanted to do a joke, and somehow no one in the entirety of the team that made this show thought about how horribly wrong it could go. dead2

I feel bad for Selena, the writers serving FOTP's hatred for Selener ari6 Having said that, at least nobody here makes fun of her health. 

At least her charity got something out of it. 

11 minutes ago, Cha Eunwoo said:

I feel bad for Selena, the writers serving FOTP's hatred for Selener ari6 Having said that, at least nobody here makes fun of her health. 

At least her charity got something out of it. 

Well, about that. ari6 at least not anymore, I hope.

But yeah, it's a cheap shot, I don't know why they thought this was okay. The Demi/Justin's mom joke was barely passable, but writing that on the wall was too much.