Dennis Reynolds

Is Christina's Spanish on Mi Reflejo good?

A question, obviously, for those that speak Spanish fluently.

I've been trying to learn the language lately and a part of my process is listening to music in Spanish and seeing which words/phrases I can recognize now and maybe picking up some new ones when it's a cover of a song originally in English (not that probably any work out to an exact in sequence word for word translation). Anyway, I re-listened to this album and it kinda made me wonder - is her Spanish good/well enunciated? I remember hearing later on with TV shows like Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul where some characters speak Spanish semi-frequently that native Spanish speakers thought the actors did a rather poor job of it, and I was curious if the same thing might be noticeable in music. I know she didn't actually speak Spanish during recording of this and it was written out phonetically for her, so did that work out to her pronouncing everything correctly, or to some degree, or not so much at all? Like, as somebody who understands Spanish perfectly, do you listen to this album and notice anything is off?

it's mostly good, i despise the way the pronounces mujer on Una Mujer tho. Sounds like MUHER. Other than that, her coach did a great job. For comparison, on the Just Be Free track her enunciation is abysmal.

also, good for u taking up a new language cry7 

Edited by plutoniano

I'm a Spanish learner as well (for about 5 years now, + I'm completing my MA degree in Hungarian-English-Spanish translating/interpreting  next year) and her pronounciation sounds fine to me. They used to speak Spanish at home before Shelly divorced Fausto, so it makes sense she would pick it up quick.

From what I've heard about MR from native speakers on here (namely @saiga how are you sis, we haven't spoken in ages jj2) the wording/translation of the songs can be a bit awkward sometimes.

But personally, it still helped me a lot when it comes to learning new vocabulary. And just listening to Spanish music in general helps a lot in my experience. The melody and rhymes make it much easier to memorize new words.

Keep it up sis! antm1

I'm from Spain and she was pretty good considering she was non-speaking and she barely knew the words.

She was way better then than now anyway. Still, considering how many years she didn't speak or release any spanish song, she is still pretty good at it.

She is just crazy talented, lol.

I can assure music helps A LOT while learning languages. It's my second language and though I'm far from being 100% fluent, I can pretty much live in a foreign country and have zero trouble, way more used to Australian and American accent than British though so with British sometimes it's hard, lol. I lived in Galway for a year too like 10 years ago but I already had the accent and all without ever leaving Spain. I started with english when I was like 9 years old, translating lyrics and looking up for new words I didn't know in the dictionary. That way you learn how to pronounce and the meaning of the word at the same time. I've learned more English by myself than in school, except grammar of course, but speaking and listening? hell yeah. Then, with 14 and so on, I started watching interviews from singers, then watching american TV shows and realitys and that's how I magically got the accent and how I learned to express myself in English. Then going to Galway with 23 gave me the courage I needed to fully practice it and be more confident with it. Keep at it, spanish it's such a wonderful language!

On 11/29/2020 at 1:23 PM, Kirjava said:

I'm a Spanish learner as well (for about 5 years now, + I'm completing my MA degree in Hungarian-English-Spanish translating/interpreting  next year) and her pronounciation sounds fine to me. They used to speak Spanish at home before Shelly divorced Fausto, so it makes sense she would pick it up quick.

From what I've heard about MR from native speakers on here (namely @saiga how are you sis, we haven't spoken in ages jj2) the wording/translation of the songs can be a bit awkward sometimes.

But personally, it still helped me a lot when it comes to learning new vocabulary. And just listening to Spanish music in general helps a lot in my experience. The melody and rhymes make it much easier to memorize new words.

Keep it up sis! antm1

I’ve been good sis! What about you?  Send me a PM so we can talk more hug1 

She did an amazing job on Mi Reflejo and her pronunciation of Spanish words is definitely way better than any of the Spanish on Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul nicki5

But anyways, kudos to you for going out of your way to learn a new language and taking your time to listen to Spanish music sis rih2