Halsey thinks her album, "Manic", deserved Gramma's nominations

Well to be perfectly honest, she has a point. While Manic may not have been my cup of tea, it does tick all of the boxes that a grammy nominated album does: critical appreciation, commercial success, and produced some hits that were a large part of the musical landscape for the first part of this year. And she's correct that in many cases, those that play the Grammy Game and scratch the recording academy's back are the ones that get the nominations. I suppose that one can say if someone didn't do campaigning, behind the scenes performance, and such that they got the inevitable result but they shouldn't have to. The only thing one should have to do to for a Grammy nomination is release a goddamn album that people enjoyed. There shouldn't have to be behind the curtain conversations and private performances for the committee and all of that because at that point it's not about the music anymore, it's about who has the willingness to bend over backwards to please a faceless group of people who're interested in ratings. And we've seen many times over the years that those who refuse to play the Grammy Game are on the ones that get shut out, even when they deserve at least a nomination. 

I mean, she's not wrong.

Under normal circumstances, Manic would've had a pretty good chance to be nominated for Best Pop Vocal Album. If we take out Changes and consider The Weeknd blacklisted, then literally the only two real, viable contenders for the category are Manic and Rare. 

I don't really care for Hallsie but she makes a good point and is right....

Her post doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know however.

Anyone with a brain knows the Scammy's are not about the music and everything about making money. 

The Grammys are corrupted and the Academy can't hide it anymore. Same with The Oscars.

I can't say I'm a pop fan tbh, since I just love very specific and certain artists that happen to make pop music. But Blinding Lights has been everywhere, to the point where you really cannot escape from that song in 2020. The whole Weeknd album has been an event, and it's not a complain: I love it! It deserved recognition by the greatest (?) award of the industry since, along with FN, has defined the sound of this year.

About Halsey, I truly didn't knew that she had a new album . The last I've heard from her was New Americana (not that I didn't knew she was making new music, but that was the last thing I've heard). So I think that, in order to be nominated, you need to have a work that trascends your target and appeals to a wider audience rather than just your fanbase and pop fans. We know the Academy never tends to reward the BEST album, just the ones that make some benefit for them (sometimes there's a coincidence of both things, but not usually). So she can complain all that she wants to, but these corrupted men are not going to change their minds soon. Sadly, as she said, her statement will probably block her in the future.

We need better awards that reward big and small artists based on their work, not just a plain popularity contest. It's like the Grammys are an extension of the VMAs. :/

3 minutes ago, Alvarø said:

The Grammys are corrupted and the Academy can't hide it anymore. Same with The Oscars.

Some people that vote for these awards don't listen to or watch the performances. dead2

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.