Chris Morlock

Ellie Goulding Questions Music Awards Process in New Essay

Ellie Goulding calls for transparency and questions what constitutes “worthiness” when it comes to awards recognition in the music industry in her essay “The Start of a Conversation…“, which was published on Wednesday via Medium.

While the singer did not specifically mention the Grammys or the Recording Academy, her piece follows backlash stemming from this year’s nominations from fellow artists, including Halsey and the Weeknd. Goulding’s double-sided LP, Brightest Blue released over the summer, was shut-out of the nominations, as was The Weeknd’s After Hours and Halsey’s Manic alongside songs from their respective albums. The Weeknd tweeted of his snubbing, “The Grammys remain corrupt. You owe me, my fans and the industry transparency…”, while Halsey called the Grammys process “elusive” and said that “it can often be about behind the scenes private performances, knowing the right people, campaigning through the grapevine, with the right handshakes and ‘bribes.'”
Over Goulding’s decade-plus-long career, she has been nominated for one Grammy in the Pop Solo Performance category for 2016’s “Love Me Like You Do.”

In Goulding’s essay she contemplates the outside factors that may influence who receives awards for their musical work and contrasts how other creative endeavors are solely recognized on their artistic merit. “I sit and wonderwhen the industry stopped reflecting the impulses that drive us as musicians. I sit and wonder when factors such as industry relationships, internal politics, and magazine covers started being rewarded before the music itself,” she writes. “I sit and wonder about the ways in which artists in other fields — fine art, dance, film — are identified and praised for their notable bodies of work, not because their notable bodies or working relationships.”

She expresses the joy she feels when her peers and friends are nominated, but also the disappointment when they don’t garner recognition. “From my perspective, there is nothing greater than listening to a song or an album that has saved you, inspired you, evoked deep emotion in some new sort of way… and then see it get the attention and award it deserves,” she says. “At the same time, there is always a crushing, horrible feeling for my peers and friends who don’t get acknowledged, by the very same system, for their work year-after-year despite making music I and many others believe is ground-breaking.

More in link

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ellie-goulding-criticizes-music-awards-process-grammys-1097988/amp/