Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

Noah Cyrus slammed over racist Harry Styles post

2 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

Not to sound out of touch or anything but could someone explain what's racist in her post? 

Insult to babies, that's what I got from it anyway rip4

7 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

Not to sound out of touch or anything but could someone explain what's racist in her post? 

nappy is often used as a racial slur to black people. it refers to hair texture

1 minute ago, Billie Frank said:

Yes i know that. dead2 Is nappy racist in America? sia3

It is racist if a white moon-faced person uses it...

nappy: (Entry 1 of 4) 1 of hair, informal + sometimes offensive : naturally coarse and tightly coiled . 

But not offensive if black people use it among each other.

11 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

So I'm actually very unfamiliar with this too, but let me give a bit of context to this thread since I made it. Here's my understanding so far.

A "Nappy Hair" per Urban Dictionary is described as:

"Afro-textured hair is the natural hair texture of certain populations in Africa, the African diaspora, Oceania and in some parts of South and Southeast Asia. Each strand of this hair type grows in a tiny, angle-like helix shape."

And "Nappyhead":

An African or African American or anyone of African descent who wears that hair natural and has one of the many textures of woolly-like (nappy) hair.

Harry's biggest critic over the Vogue photoshoot (the one that Noah is posting about) is Candace Owens, a black woman. She's basically been the face of the whole Harry Styles backlash, because Harry responded to her on Instagram by posting a photo with her "bring back manly men" comment as the caption.

From there you can probably connect the dots and figure out why people are angry about this. 

2 minutes ago, Kai said:

It is racist if a white moon-faced person uses it...

nappy: (Entry 1 of 4) 1 of hair, informal + sometimes offensive : naturally coarse and tightly coiled . 

But not offensive if black people use it among each other.

1 minute ago, Snow said:

So I'm actually very unfamiliar with this too, but here's my understanding so far. A "Nappy Hair" per Urban Dictionary is described as:

And "Nappyhead":

Harry's biggest critic over the Vogue photoshoot (the one that Noah is posting about) is Candace Owens, a black woman. She's basically been the face of the whole Harry Styles backlash. From there you can probably connect the dots. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I honestly had never heard that term before but i can see how it's racist given the context. 

On 12/3/2020 at 8:03 PM, Gilly said:

nappy is often used as a racial slur to black people. it refers to hair texture

I've only ever heard this word used by black people so I didn't even know it was considered racist orangu1

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.