Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Food shortages in UK in 2021 likely

20200616PHT81302_original.jpg

The UK should brace itself for months of food shortages from 1 January as strict European rules are enforced and the prospect of long delays at the customs border scare off truck drivers from even attempting to deliver goods across the Channel, experts on both sides of the channel have claimed.

According to the boss of Europe’s largest haulage trade body, the UK is looking at a “nightmare scenario” that will lead to “weeks, if not months” of food shortages after the Brexit transition period comes to an end in just four weeks.

The i politics newsletter cut through the noise

The UK’s leading haulage organisation has also criticised the Government’s preparations, claiming truck companies are unable to plan for the new rules “because we’ve not been told what the rules are”.

Delays at customs as well as the reluctance from EU-based haulage firms to get stuck in costly queues in and around UK ports will, claim the experts, lead to a shortage of many shoppers’ favourite products including pasta, cheese, meat and wine. 

Prices of everyday food and drink items are also expected to increase due to the shortages and the additional costs incurred by delivery companies entering the UK.

Marco Digioia, secretary general of the European Road Haulers Association, said he was priming his membership for “huge bottle necks between the UK and EU”.

“You can expect empty shelves in supermarkets from the first week of 2021,” said Mr Digioia. “It’s a complete nightmare scenario. It will last for weeks, even months.”

x

I'm not worried about food shortages in the UK, if you tell me that there are food shortages in China, Russia or N. Korea, then it would be more worrisome.

Food shortage in UK probably means, no access to the brands that customers want, not necessarily starvation. 

In the article, it states, "46% of food in the UK are from imports, but only 20% comes from the EU, while 26% comes from the rest of the world". interesting1

1 hour ago, Kai said:

I'm not worried about food shortages in the UK, if you tell me that there are food shortages in China, Russia or N. Korea, then it would be more worrisome.

Food shortage in UK probably means, no access to the brands that customers want, not necessarily starvation. 

In the article, it states, "46% of food in the UK are from imports, but only 20% comes from the EU, while 26% comes from the rest of the world". interesting1

I mean, you have a point but there are more problems than the shortage other than Particular products coming from France, Spain, Italy, Germany and so on. The shortage with Increased prices will discourage more people so the Food Bank will be a thing (kinda like it's happening in some US Southern States right now and in New York City due to Covid last Spring). Also, my best friend from the UK told me that the Government will have to separate virtually an area I guess Kent so the lorries can pass easily but this will be considered as another internal border. But Brexit is not only that. There are gonna be problems with the Irish Border, Citizien rights, Scotland's grudge and the likely Independence since they overwhelmed voted Remain. This is just the beginning of something that is messy and watching this from Italy is pretty entertaining interesting1 

1 minute ago, Princess Aurora said:

I mean, you have a point but there are more problems than the shortage other than Particular products coming from France, Spain, Italy, Germany and so on. The shortage with Increased prices will discourage more people so the Food Bank will be a thing (kinda like it's happening in some US Southern States right now and in New York City due to Covid last Spring). Also, my best friend from the UK told me that the Government will have to separate virtually an area I guess Kent so the lorries can pass easily but this will be considered as internal border. But Brexit is not only that. There are gonna be problems with the Irish Border, Scotland's grudge and the likely Independence since they overwhelmed voted Remain. This is just the beginning of something that can be messy and watching this from Italy is pretty entertaining interesting1 

I agrih. 

We'll never know how it's going to turn out, they will probably integrate back into the EU if things go really bad. interesting1 

5 minutes ago, Kai said:

I agrih. 

We'll never know how it's going to turn out, they will probably integrate back into the EU if things go really bad. interesting1 

Yeah. I agree, also Biden being President can help the UK and the EU not to turn into a chaotic mess, especially with the Irish border. 

The crowd that wants to turn back the clock, and return to a time where supranationalism and globalism either didn't exist, or wasn't a prevailing factor in politics and economics, are hysterical. 

Once they start living with the consequences, they get fussy.

It's almost as if they don't realize that those two concepts have allowed them to live in a time in human history with unrivaled comfort, ease and convenience for a majority of the population of the world. And what's worse is there is a segment of those same people that aren't ignorant of the consequences, and they would rather inflict deprivation on their fellow man just to ostracize people who are different than they are.  

I doubt there will be, yes there may be a shortage of certain items but people aren't going to be left starving. I do think quite a bit of this is just scare mongering from the EU, it's quite telling that it's a European trade body saying it too. And i'm saying this as a remainer...  

2 hours ago, Kai said:

This, there will be a shortage of select items that come from Europe. But to say there will be a "foot shortage" or that the UK will starve is a gross exaggeration and quite offensive to counties where starvation is an issue. 

7 minutes ago, Billie Frank said:

I doubt there will be, yes there may be a shortage of certain items but people aren't going to be left starving. I do think quite a bit of this is just scare mongering from the EU, it's quite telling that it's a European trade body saying it too. And i'm saying this as a remainer...  

This, there will be a shortage of select items that come from Europe. But to say there will be a "foot shortage" or that the UK will starve is a gross exaggeration and quite offensive to counties where starvation is an issue. 

Agreed. 

"Shortage" implies that people will starve. 

No, people will be able to eat, what will be taken from them is their ability to choose between three different choices of the same thing.  Instead of choosing cheese A, B or C, you only have the choice of eating cheese A, if you get to eat cheese at all, you might not get the option of snacks. 

People are starving in the Congo, people are starving in North Korea, people are not going to starve in the United Kingdom. 

dead2

6 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

Agreed. 

"Shortage" implies that people will starve. 

No, people will be able to eat, what will be taken from them is their ability to choose between three different choices of the same thing.  Instead of choosing cheese A, B or C, you only have the choice of eating cheese A, if you get to eat cheese at all, you might not get the option of snacks. 

People are starving in the Congo, people are starving in North Korea, people are not going to starve in the United Kingdom. 

dead2

If anything it could actually be a positive thing for the domestic market as it'll likely see more people buying domestic goods. A no deal would still be awful, but we need to separate exaggerated media screaming from the reality... It's not going to lead to starvation. 

1 hour ago, Princess Aurora said:

Scotland's grudge and the likely Independence since they overwhelmed voted Remain.

This. Even back in 2014 it was quite a close vote, however support for independence has been continuously on the up across all demographics however the younger generation in Scotland overwhelmingly support independence, so it'll keep increasing. The longer the Tories reject the calls for a vote the higher the Yes vote will get. The only reason they don't want to allow a referendum is because they know they'll loose and because it'll also likely cost them the next UK Election. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.