Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

26 years after its release, AIWFCIY is bigger than ever

Mariah-Carey-e1606851475702.jpg

Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You” cannot be stopped. Already one of the most popular songs of all time, and the source of more than $60 million in royalties for Carey, the song appears to be more popular than ever in 2020. And it’s doing it against the odds—the top songs on Spotify are generally getting fewer listens than in previous years.

From Nov. 24 to Nov. 30, “All I Want for Christmas is You” averaged about 1 million daily streams on Spotify in the US, up from just over 600,000 streams per day over the same time period in 2019, and 800,000 during that time in 2018. It was already the second most streamed song in the US on Nov. 30, but only the 10th on the same date in 2019. It’s not just ruling Spotify. Rolling Stone’s streaming data, which includes Spotify streams as well as competitor services like Apple Music, also show a big bump in listens to Carey’s hit this year.

“All I Want for Christmas is You” success is even more remarkable given the large decline in Spotify streams for the platform’s biggest hits. For the month of November, the total streams for the top 200 songs each day added up to 2.14 billion streams. This is down from 2.25 billion in 2019 and 2.5 billion in 2018, according to Quartz’s analysis of the data. Top 200 streams also declined in previous months.

x

31 minutes ago, Snow said:

Impressive, especially considering streams for most other songs are down. clap3 

It's going to go #1 again, she's going to have the longest running #1 again by 2030. moo11

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.