Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Angela Merkel named most powerful woman 2020 by Forbes

angela-merkel-die-kanzlerin-hat-sich-beim-klimaschutz-fuer-den-zertifikatehandel-ausgesprochen-.jpg

-Merkel became the first female Chancellor of Germany in 2005 and is serving her fourth term.

-In November 2018, Merkel stepped down as leader of the Christian Democratic Union and announced she wouldn't seek another term as chancellor in 2021.

-Merkel remains the de facto leader of Europe, leading the region's largest economy after steering Germany through financial crisis and back to growth.

-Her leadership is marked by her steely reserve, from standing up to Donald Trump to allowing more than a million Syrian refugees into Germany.

-An October 2020 survey found 75% of adults in 14 European countries trust Merkel more than any other leader in the region.

-The big question that the public is now asking is who and what will come after Merkel's time in office comes to an end.

Full Top 5:

1. Angela Merkel (Germany)

2. Christine Lagarde (France)

3. Kamala Harris (USA)

4. Ursula von der Leyen (Germany)

5.  Melinda Gates (USA)

Full list here: X

4 minutes ago, Gilly said:

yall dont have term limits in germany? 

No, there's no such limit as of now. Helmut Kohl was in term for 16 years, which is the longest period so far. Merkel will follow that though. 

5 minutes ago, Max said:

No, there's no such limit as of now. Helmut Kohl was in term for 16 years, which is the longest period so far. Merkel will follow that though. 

thats kinda dangerous dead1 imagine if there werent term limits in the USA and we could potentially be stuck with a trump for decades rip2 

Just now, Gilly said:

thats kinda dangerous dead1 imagine if there wasnt  term limits in the USA and we could potentially be stuck with a trump for decades rip2 

The electoral system is quite different to be fair, so I think it's a bit of a different situation too. However, lately there's been more and more talk about introducing a limitation. I wonder if that will ever come though.

20 minutes ago, Gilly said:

thats kinda dangerous dead1 imagine if there werent term limits in the USA and we could potentially be stuck with a trump for decades rip2 

The chancellor by far has not the power as the president has. 

19 minutes ago, Max said:

The electoral system is quite different to be fair, so I think it's a bit of a different situation too. However, lately there's been more and more talk about introducing a limitation. I wonder if that will ever come though.

I don’t think it will matter, Germany will stay with a CDU chancellor for years probably rip4 

4 minutes ago, Simón. said:

I don’t think it will matter, Germany will stay with a CDU chancellor for years probably rip4 

Oh yeah, for sure. It will still be interesting to watch though, a post-Merkel CDU will probably have to reinvent somehow. I'd say especially the last election was highly influenced by Merkel alone. Her pro-refugee politics were absolutely polarizing and a lot of non-CDU voters voted for CDU candidates just because of her leadings - even though not even the CDU members themselves agreed with her most of the times. 

1 minute ago, Max said:

Oh yeah, for sure. It will still be interesting to watch though, a post-Merkel CDU will probably have to reinvent somehow. I'd say especially the last election was highly influenced by Merkel alone. Her pro-refugee politics were absolutely polarizing and a lot of non-CDU voters voted for CDU candidates just because of her leadings - even though not even the CDU members themselves agreed with her most of the times. 

Yeah, CDU just has luck that there is no competition. Greens are coming close but safe not next years elections. Here for chancellor Baerbock though, not Merz 

Just now, Simón. said:

Yeah, CDU just has luck that there is no competition. Greens are coming close but safe not next years elections. Here for chancellor Baerbock though, not Merz 

Whew, the tea!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.