Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

Do You Consider Xtina as a Legend?

An icon yes, a legend i'm not so sure.

As much as i hate to say it her prime was far too short lived for her to really be deserving of that status and she was never the leading pop girl at any point. There was always multiple other artists bigger and more popular. She's in this weird place where she's solidified herself as an icon, but doesn't really have a strong legacy, and i think part of that was due to the fact she hasn't done anything memorable since Ain't No Other Man which was only around 5-6 years after her debut.

Most of the legends slowly get bigger and bigger until they peak around 6-10 years in to their career then gradually loose popularity but still very remain relevant. Look at Madonna or Mariah for example, neither have had a huge hit in well over a decade but it doesn't matter as by that point they were already seen as legendary artists and have had multiple commercially successful eras.  Xtina's biggest era was her 2nd album and by her 3rd she was already on the decline, it always felt as if she had much more to offer. It's pretty evident her label saw that too as by the time she released her greatest hits in 2007 her place as "one of" the main pop girls was very much gone and she was looking in to other ventures (Movies & The Voice).

I know it's something i've mentioned before but it's very much relevant to the point. Xtina's last solo top #5 US hit was in 2002 with Beautiful, that was only 3 years after her debut. Could you imagine if Mariah's last top #5 hit was in 1993 or Madonna's in 1986... 

As for Britney, while she probably will be considered a legend i do sometimes fear that her private life overshadows her music contributions. 

She's an icon for sure but as @Billie Frank stated above, she hasn't done with or had in her career what justifies becoming a legend. 

I believe that sales has does factor into that status (to which Xtina doesn't have consistency but that's not my point) but I also believe legendary status is judged by cultural impact and influence. Xtina doesn't really have influence. None of the girls after her were saying "I want to be the next Christina Aguilera", nobody was following the Christina blueprint. Part of that comes from the fact that she herself was following a blueprint, but it also comes from the fact that at no point in her career was she anything defining. Madonna was a defining force in how pop music was presented and inspired all of the girls after her when it came to videos and performances. Mariah was a defining force in what it meant to be be a vocalist rather than a singer and brought a newfound attention to actual vocal ability. Britney was a defining force in marketability and name pedigree for the new millennium, being on her A game constantly when it came to getting her work to the masses and making it stick.

Everyone knows who Madonna is, everyone can identify her work, she's been referenced in culture more times than are countable.  Everyone knows who Mariah is, everyone can identify her work, and she's referenced in culture constantly. Everyone knows who Britney is, can identify her work, and she is to this day referenced in culture. Hell, some people go as these women for halloween (Mariah to a lesser extent but the point stands). Xtina....was Mariah that could dance a little bit. And that's not a slight on what her talents are, she is a talented vocalist, but her voice didn't really take her very far when she didn't have the finesse in the other areas to make it matter. She's not a cultural touchstone. People know her but few aim to replicate her or reference her. 

1 hour ago, Billie Frank said:

As much as i hate to say it her prime was far too short lived for her to really be deserving of that status and she was never the leading pop girl at any point. There was always multiple other artists bigger and more popular. She's in this weird place where she's solidified herself as an icon, but doesn't really have a strong legacy, and i think part of that was due to the fact she hasn't done anything memorable since Ain't No Other Man which was only around 5-6 years after her debut.

Most of the legends slowly get bigger and bigger until they peak around 6-10 years in to their career then gradually loose popularity but still very remain relevant. Look at Madonna or Mariah for example, neither have had a huge hit in well over a decade but it doesn't matter as by that point they were already seen as legendary artists and have had multiple commercially successful eras.  Xtina's biggest era was her 2nd album and by her 3rd she was already on the decline, it always felt as if she had much more to offer. It's pretty evident her label saw that too as by the time she released her greatest hits in 2007 her place as "one of" the main pop girls was very much gone and she was looking in to other ventures (Movies & The Voice).

I know it's something i've mentioned before but it's very much relevant to the point. Xtina's last solo top #5 US hit was in 2002 with Beautiful, that was only 3 years after her debut. Could you imagine if Mariah's last top #5 hit was in 1993 or Madonna's in 1986... 

As for Britney, while she probably will be considered a legend i do sometimes fear that her private life overshadows her music contributions. 

Wasn't her debut actually her biggest era though? I mean the album has the same amount of certification as Mariah's debut. She also snatched number one positions with the singles from that album. She was Britney's only rival commercially, though Britney was even bigger. I think in the stan community, we always put the praise on Stripped era a little too much. She was already on the decline with that album and by the end of the 2000s decade her name was long gone. I think she has defined and influenced a lot of pop music after her, especially among the women, and that's what happened with Stripped. Though smaller than her debut success, that album has placed her on the thrones of pop icons. Now, a legend? IDK about that considering that she doesn't really have longevity as a solo artist. 

40 minutes ago, Mr. Mendes said:

She's an icon for sure but as @Billie Frank stated above, she hasn't done with or had in her career what justifies becoming a legend. 

I believe that sales has does factor into that status (to which Xtina doesn't have consistency but that's not my point) but I also believe legendary status is judged by cultural impact and influence. Xtina doesn't really have influence. None of the girls after her were saying "I want to be the next Christina Aguilera", nobody was following the Christina blueprint. Part of that comes from the fact that she herself was following a blueprint, but it also comes from the fact that at no point in her career was she anything defining. Madonna was a defining force in how pop music was presented and inspired all of the girls after her when it came to videos and performances. Mariah was a defining force in what it meant to be be a vocalist rather than a singer and brought a newfound attention to actual vocal ability. Britney was a defining force in marketability and name pedigree for the new millennium, being on her A game constantly when it came to getting her work to the masses and making it stick.

Everyone knows who Madonna is, everyone can identify her work, she's been referenced in culture more times than are countable.  Everyone knows who Mariah is, everyone can identify her work, and she's referenced in culture constantly. Everyone knows who Britney is, can identify her work, and she is to this day referenced in culture. Hell, some people go as these women for halloween (Mariah to a lesser extent but the point stands). Xtina....was Mariah that could dance a little bit. And that's not a slight on what her talents are, she is a talented vocalist, but her voice didn't really take her very far when she didn't have the finesse in the other areas to make it matter. She's not a cultural touchstone. People know her but few aim to replicate her or reference her. 

I can agree with this. However, again, I think she is influential. A lot of the women after her most and only successful decade as a solo artist, the 2000s, are influenced by her both musically and attitude. I mean, say what we want about many women who cited Beyoncé or Madonna, but neither of them have ever presented themselves as an explicitly raunchy superstar who don't give af about anybody & anything. Madonna might have made Human Nature and referenced her Erotica era backlash in a cheeky manner, but Xtina literally made Shut Up and Circle on Lotus. Both are songs that, despite her clearly have become a flop commercially, still presented her as this over the top vulgar diva. Also, while everything that Beyoncé has done is strategically planned and finalized, Xtina released Liberation after a thousand years and didn't even care that it flopped almost immediately. A lot of young stars of today basically approach pop scene in a manner rather similar to Xtina. Do what I want, don't give a damn.

Except for those who are taking care of their careers more seriously. jj2

24 minutes ago, Gabe. said:

now now @Mr. Mendes MOST of the new batch of girls have cited Legend X as an influence; the rest of your post i do agree with tho.

That is very true, and I will credit her for that. What I meant was there hasn’t been anyone that’s really come out and said they wanna be the next Xtina and follow in her career path, be in her mold so to speak. But as a playing influence onto aspects of their sound and career absolutely. 

8 minutes ago, Bionic-AHHH! said:

Wasn't her debut actually her biggest era though? I mean the album has the same amount of certification as Mariah's debut. She also snatched number one positions with the singles from that album. She was Britney's only rival commercially, though Britney was even bigger. I think in the stan community, we always put the praise on Stripped era a little too much. She was already on the decline with that album and by the end of the 2000s decade her name was long gone. I think she has defined and influenced a lot of pop music after her, especially among the women, and that's what happened with Stripped. Though smaller than her debut success, that album has placed her on the thrones of pop icons. Now, a legend? IDK about that considering that she doesn't really have longevity as a solo artist. 

I can agree with this. However, again, I think she is influential. A lot of the women after her most and only successful decade as a solo artist, the 2000s, are influenced by her both musically and attitude. I mean, say what we want about many women who cited Beyoncé or Madonna, but neither of them have ever presented themselves as an explicitly raunchy superstar who don't give af about anybody & anything. Madonna might have made Human Nature and referenced her Erotica era backlash in a cheeky manner, but Xtina literally made Shut Up and Circle on Lotus. Both are songs that, despite her clearly have become a flop commercially, still presented her as this over the top vulgar diva. Also, while everything that Beyoncé has done is strategically planned and finalized, Xtina released Liberation after a thousand years and didn't even care that it flopped almost immediately. A lot of young stars of today basically approach pop scene in a manner rather similar to Xtina. Do what I want, don't give a damn.

Except for those who are taking care of their careers more seriously. jj2

Well  i didn’t see your post until I hit post on the other so I’m double posting. Coming for @GRANDESPOV’s wig. 

Anyway, yes I will agree completely that she has had influence and has influenced aspects of new girls careers. What I was driving at is, to my knowledge at least, she was never cited as the influence, the model to follow like most artists considered legends typically are, 

Absolutely an icon, and an influential one at that, but like others have said she's far too inconsistent.

Her debut showed she was a big seller, and Stripped showed her true personality and colors as an artists. But then it was just decline from there. 

And for the people saying Britney is a legend... please. She was an incredible performer, and has hits but it also didn't last that long. Her name has been tainted forever by what happened in 2007, and she has never bounced back since that point. In a different universe, Britney would've had her undeniable moment but that's not the one we're living in. She's an icon for sure though.

We never really got to see the true Britney, and even Blackout her best, most acclaimed, influential work she would be the first to admit was just a party album.

2 minutes ago, Strobo said:

Absolutely an icon, and an influential one at that, but like others have said she's far too inconsistent.

Her debut showed she was a big seller, and Stripped showed her true personality and colors as an artists. But then it was just decline from there. 

And for the people saying Britney is a legend... please. She was an incredible performer, and has hits but it also didn't last that long. Her name has been tainted forever by what happened in 2007, and she has never bounced back since that point. In a different universe, Britney would've had her undeniable moment but that's not the one we're living in. She's an icon for sure though.

We never really got to see the true Britney, and even Blackout her best, most acclaimed, influential work she would be the first to admit was just a party album.

Tea tbh. She often doesn't know her own potency. The last time that she was truly driven to make some kind of a masterpiece IN HER MIND was probably the Britney 2001 album. Even with In the Zone a.k.a. the true Britney (means that I don't agree with what you said about we haven't seen the true Britney) she called it a "little more urban fun album."

For Xtina, I think if she hadn't spend a lot of her time at The Voice, she would definitely cemented herself as an undisputable musical legend. She low-key has the upbringing story of a legend-in-the-making too!

14 minutes ago, Strobo said:

Please...people in the industry already referred to her as The Legendary Miss Britney Spears since 2007. She ticks all the qualities for being a legend. The most iconic debut that shook pop culture and the music industry to the point teen pop was made a staple and everyone wanted their own Britney. Iconic performances and moments. Then the breakdown actually contributed to her becoming "a legend of her fall" and then a comeback story. 

For me she and Bey come the closest to having legend status. A legend is not always someone who is recognized for their music but for what they represent in pop culture. And Britney has cemented her place given that ppl still care about her after a decade of flopping unlike say, Xtina.

57 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Please...people in the industry already referred to her as The Legendary Miss Britney Spears since 2007. She ticks all the qualities for being a legend. The most iconic debut that shook pop culture and the music industry to the point teen pop was made a staple and everyone wanted their own Britney. Iconic performances and moments. Then the breakdown actually contributed to her becoming "a legend of her fall" and then a comeback story. 

For me she and Bey come the closest to having legend status. A legend is not always someone who is recognized for their music but for what they represent in pop culture. And Britney has cemented her place given that ppl still care about her after a decade of flopping unlike say, Xtina.

I'll accept this take!

For me I do think the impact of the music itself does have to play a big role, and that she didn't really get the chance to shine in that way.

But I'd be crazy to deny how she pretty much became the 00s pop star blueprint.

I wonder who it is now... The last pop star who was like her was Gaga, since her people have done things very different. (Maybe Dua, but that's a different discussion.)

6 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

There are other artists that didn't have many successful albums and songs, but still considered kinda legendary in their music era tho. Like Cyndi Lauper, or Cher.  creep1 

15 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

That is very true, and I will credit her for that. What I meant was there hasn’t been anyone that’s really come out and said they wanna be the next Xtina and follow in her career path, be in her mold so to speak. But as a playing influence onto aspects of their sound and career absolutely. 

Why would anyone want to be the next Xtina? Xtina made her own way with her own choices and just went with the flow and just did not give a fuck if she sold records or not and that is admirable. She is her own person and not a label's puppet. 

As an artist, they should forge their own identities instead of becoming the next (insert the artist's name here.) 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.