Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Snow

Fiona Apple slams Grammys over Dr. Luke's nomination

2175.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=36ea46a1e7016530ba7aacf1fa9768b3

In the mid-2000s, your fans launched the Free Fiona campaign to get Epic to release your delayed album Extraordinary Machine. There’s echoes of Free Fiona in the Free Britney movement and in Taylor Swift’s battle to control her music. Are you surprised to see artists still having to fight for autonomy? Do you feel a kinship with them?

[...] Also, I’m bringing up the Grammys and that’s really something that I shouldn’t be doing, but really, Dr Luke is nominated [under pseudonym Tyson Trax]? They had [Kesha] up there singing Praying [a song about her alleged experiences of abuse by Dr Luke, which he denies; Kesha’s case was dismissed in 2016 and the producer is suing her for defamation and breach of contract] and now they’re gonna go: “Oh but it’s Tyson Trax!” I’m waiting to hear more about what Deborah Dugan [former Recording Academy president] has to say [about the culture at the Recording Academy] because that all reeks to me. When you hire somebody and they raise questions and then they get fired? There’s a lot of things that she brought up that make it so that I can’t vet that situation and I don’t really wanna go there and support it.

You’re up for best rock performance, and all the nominees in that category are women for the first time. That feels like an easy PR win.

I immediately had this feeling: I wish I was in a room with these ladies and we could celebrate. I felt really nice for a second. Every week I send a selfie to Simon, who runs the Tumblr site on me. I thought, for that week’s selfie, I’m gonna make a T-shirt with everybody’s names in little hearts: Phoebe [Bridgers], Brittany [Howard], Danielle, Este, Alana [Haim], Adrienne [Lenker, Big Thief], Grace [Potter]. But then I threw it away. I felt like this is exactly what they want me to do: It’s better now! I got nominated! And it’s all women this year and the Grammys are great! I keep going back to them putting Kesha on stage like, “We believe you” – and I believe her – then two years later, fucking Tyson Trax. Not to go back to that word, but it’s bullshit. The feeling of wanting to celebrate with these women was genuine. But I should have that feeling anyway. I don’t know if anybody who’s nominated can help having the thought: what would I do If I won? My vision was that I would just get up there with a sledgehammer and I wouldn’t say anything, I would take the Grammy and smash it into enough pieces to share and I would invite all the ladies up. My second thought was I wonder if I can get all these ladies to boycott this shit because of Dr Luke.

x

Dr. Luke was quietly nominated for Record of the Year for producing Doja Cat’s “Say So” under the pseudonym Tyson Trax.
He has also worked under other pseudonyms: Kasz, Richard Head, Made in China and Loctor Duke.

Say So is one of the biggest hits (and best pop songs) this year so I feel like it's more so the GP's responsibility than the Grammy committee's? It's a bigger priority to cancel them for nominating Titanic Sinclair, who (with evidence) emotionally abused, at least once physically assaulted, threatened, broke into the home of, stalked, and even launched another female performer whom I don't know to be a parody of his ex-girlfriend over the course of a decade, leading to her PTSD diagnosis. bebe1

Also off-topic: Not this publication equating an album delay campaign with FreeBritney bebe1

1 hour ago, Snow said:

Dr. Luke was quietly nominated for Record of the Year for producing Doja Cat’s “Say So” under the pseudonym Tyson Trax.

He has a bunch of pseudonyms

Kasz

Richard Head

Made in China

Tyson Trax

Loctor Duke

16 minutes ago, Chris Morlock said:

Can we please just delete everything he's done and just ignore his future projects trash1

This is easier said than done tbh. We've been saying this since 2014, and not that much has changed since then.

Even after the case gained traction in 2016, he still managed to produce for JLo (which was a hit), Pitbull, Fergie, Saweetie, DaBaby, Kim Petras and a bunch of other notable artists. At this point, I'm not sure if he's ever gonna go away for good. 

45 minutes ago, Venom said:

Say So is one of the biggest hits (and best pop songs) this year so I feel like it's more so the GP's responsibility than the Grammy committee's? 

Grammys do have responsibility because they give him legitimacy and leverage he can use in the future in the industry to keep producing. The GP doesn't know who produces these songs and the people in power who do know shouldn't celebrate him for it.

It's kinda absurd for you to put the responsibility on people who just heard this song on the radio or tiktok and not the people in the industry.

On 12/18/2020 at 4:41 PM, Snow said:

He has also worked under other pseudonyms: Kasz, Richard Head, Made in China and Loctor Duke.

He really thought he was being sneaky there I- ELZBi.gif

On 12/18/2020 at 11:41 AM, Snow said:

“Dick” Head

sounds about rightbrit5

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.