Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

poSLAYtions

Does anybody think that Demi Lovato is...a good artist?

I know that a lot of these days many stans of other artists like to trash her and get annoyed by her increasingly messy behavior. However, isn't her music actually good? I mean:

Serving R&B legend, Aretha Franklin etc.!

Serving, well, a legendary career!

Serving iconicism! The art of making a good song!!!!

Serving immaculate Jessie J impersonation! A bop regardless!!!!!!

Serving sad tale of a one-sided @Ruthless Love affair!

At last, this timeless signature masterpiece from Ms. Demeter:

Forget her messiness, forget I Love Me, forget the UFO obsession, vag flicking, whatever! I owe this to ha, and I will never forget ha!!!

brit2

39 minutes ago, Gravity said:

She should have stuck to the pop rock, the genre  from her first two albums. The popstar shtick just isn't working for her.

But those albums were some of the darkest moments in her life so I dont blame her for not wanting to come back to that sound.

I LOVED Get Back when it came out cry0

But I also like In Real Life cry0

1 hour ago, Gravity said:

She should have stuck to the pop rock, the genre  from her first two albums. The popstar shtick just isn't working for her.

But those albums were some of the darkest moments in her life so I dont blame her for not wanting to come back to that sound.

Isn't her latest single a rock song? It's a collaboration with some group, I don't remember the name though.

She's one of the best vocalists of this generation, but yes her artistry is not that great.

Which is probably part of why she was never really a main pop girl. A great voice doesn't mean longevity if the music doesn't match up.

I love her music! Not her first two albums, but the others. Tell Me You Love Me is an amazing album. It’s cool to hate on her on the internet though so it’s easy for everyone to follow instead of actually giving her music a chance.

3 minutes ago, Kai said:

To me, she's like Miley, Selena, Beyonce... I like some songs, but I can't get into stanning them. ari6 

Ava Max or Dua Lipa for example, has an interesting voice that I want to listen to over and over again. Can't say the same for Debbie Lobotomy. 

Even then though.

Miley is a good artist, her career has been a bit messy but each era has had a vision/look to it. You can see a photo of Miley and know what era it's from, likewise the music is unique and the albums stand out. Same goes for Beyonce, even more so.

Dua Lipa is still early in her career but the FN era is one of the best pop eras in years, even if you're not a fan of Dua you cannot deny that. Literally no other pop girl now can serve an era that's so long and successful. The FN era has now been going for over a year and there's no sign of it stopping. Dua really has shown that there's still room for pop girls if they get they work hard and have a vision. 

Demi however never fully established herself and was always that moderate middle of the road pop girl. Outside of a few hit singles most of her music is unknown. Ava Max has not done enough to stand out yet, but she still could get big, if not then she'll probably be the next Selena-Esque Popstar. 

29 minutes ago, Ruthless Love said:

I do like her music; I just honestly think she has yet to find that signature sound/vibe.

This mainly. I also think she lacks a clear vision for an album. That's what sets a pop girl apart. Anyone can release a group of 12 average to ok songs but not everyone has a vision.

1 hour ago, Ruthless Love said:

I do like her music; I just honestly think she has yet to find that signature sound/vibe.

But someone shouldn't be having that issue 10+ years in to their career

Look at Ariana, her first two/three albums she was in the same position as Demi artistically, but as she took more control and put more effort in to her albums and she managed to find and develop her sound. 

2 hours ago, Billie Frank said:

Demi however never fully established herself and was always that moderate middle of the road pop girl. Outside of a few hit singles most of her music is unknown.

Her music is known, but remains subtly unnoticed because the other women are being, have become, or have been way more amazing in whatever they do compared to Demi. Not just the music, but the accompanying era. The styles, the distinct quality of each promotional cycles, the videos, etc. Demi has never made an amazing video, but they're always watchable. Some of them are good for what they are, which are videos where she as the singer sings, but very few elevates her to an upper position as a pop star.

Her writing subject has become the same thing over and over again. It's all about self-empowerment, overcoming drug addictions, starting anew your life, breaking away from your previous bad lifestyles, and many more. It all could be interesting, but her take on all of these subjects have become monotonous. It's dull now. At least, when she was still making music in the pop rock sound template she wrote songs from various perspectives. The Here We Go Again album is filled with bright and exciting ideas that was executed creatively through writing. Even with the Confident album she still had songs like For You and Yes, love songs that had their unique lyricism.

It's not like I demand her to go back to her previous rock sound, not really. She just needs to work on her songwriting imo. I have long accepted her as more of an artist rather than just a vocalist because the focus of her career has been her music for the longest time. I think starting with Confident, she wanted to pay attention more on the "I'm an amazing vocalist" part of herself rather than strengthen her songwriting. The songs of Tell Me You Love Me, while they're sonically pleasant songs, great to some degree, those lyrics read like lesser versions of what she had done in her earliest works.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.