Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

CHANEL #1

CHANEL #1's Best of 2020

Hello all! I have finally finished year end list! My list contains my Top 20 Songs and Top 10 Albums of 2020 (there is one song from 2019 included, but I discovered it in 2020 and it was on constant rotation for me the entire year so I felt it needed to be included).

Since no one cares for countdowns anymore I'll just be posting everything in spoilers across the two posts. gaycat1 

- Top 10 Albums of 2020 -

Spoiler

#10  |  Fine Line - Harry Styles
thumb_clean.jpg

I wasn't a massive fan of Harry's debut album. The only song I was sold on was Sign of the Times. However, with Fine Line he really won me over. The album is great from top to bottom despite a couple tracks towards the end leaning towards the meh side of things. I also really admire how much work he's put into promoting the record and the amount of visuals he's given for it's tracks. Really excited to see what he does next. 

Spoiler

#9  |  CALM - 5 Seconds of Summer
719fzJYAujL._SL1400_.jpg

I feel like a lot of people write off 5 Seconds of Summer. Honestly, they've only gotten better with each album since their debut. CALM is very similar imo to Harry's Fine Line (though slightly different styles). I do prefer CALM as a whole though and think it's certainly underrated. 

Spoiler

#8  |  Cape God - Allie X
Cape%20God_Allie%20X.jpg

Even if this album was horrible musically (it's not) it would still be on this list for aesthetics alone. That aside, the music is really great. Super Sunset was good but too short. CX2 was not my cup of tea. This was the most I've enjoyed a project from Allie since CX1. Though, Super Duper Party People can disappear to oblivion never to heard from again. We'll pretend she doesn't exist.

Spoiler

#7  |  Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa

91G9w6KZc5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There's no way I could make this list without including Future Nostalgia. Pop music was really starting to disappoint me and Dula Peeps really revived my love for it. The album is really solid and has some INCREDIBLE pop gems. It doesn't place higher on this list as it honestly did grow old really quickly for me apart from a handful of songs. Other than like four/five songs, I never listen to the rest anymore (despite them all being good).

Spoiler

#6  |  folklore - Taylor Swift

001-Taylor-Swift-Folklore-vogue-240720-courtesy-Taylor-Swift.jpg

Let me start by saying Evermore came out too late for me to really process where it would be on this list and tbh I haven't listened to it since release. Parts of Evermore were more instant but I as a whole enjoyed Folklore far more. It was a return to form for me with Taylor. I despise majority of Lover and think it's one of her worst albums. Luckily Taylor followed it up with one of her best.

Spoiler

#5  |  After Hours - The Weeknd

oi16vKi.png

We arrive at my Top 5. Honestly these were so easy to pick out. There was no question what my favorite five albums this year were and The Weeknd is starting the Top 5 off. After Hours is a phenomenal album. Maybe if pop-Abel isn't your thing you won't like but I fucking love it. I also really appreciate how well he's stuck the character he created for the era and been consistent aesthetically/visually. 

Spoiler

#4  |  Chromatica - Lady Gaga

oq7ubLB.png

This album saved my stan card. I don't Joanne (Perfect Illusion remains Top Tier though) and ASIB was good but I never listen to the soundtrack. I was starting to worry Gaga had lost her touch. And Stupid Love certainly didn't reassure me. However, when Rain on Me dropped I was like "OK, maybe she's still there somewhat". When the full album came out I was so relieved. From the into into Alice, I just felt like the Gaga I loved was back. It's not her best album but it is a return to the Gaga I love and I could not be more happy with that.

Spoiler

#3  |  DISCO - Kylie Minogue

exhlrLi.png

This album is perfection. It's SO Kylie and just so fun and glittery and gay and wonderful. It makes you feel so god and it's honestly a really good album. Kylie served exactly what I've been wanting from her and more. I wasn't sold on Golden but I'm glad it gave her a revival. THIS is what Kylie is meant to be doing. Fantastic album.

Spoiler

#2  |  Plastic Hearts - Miley Cyrus

mileyphcolor-scaled.jpg?resize=1024,1024&quality=100&strip=all&ssl=1

My top 2 are pretty much tied honestly. This album is an odd one as I've been listening to it for a long time lol. I downloaded all the leaks as they came out and have been nonstop playing them since. I wasn't even mad when the final tracklist came out. Miley put together such an IMPECCABLE collection of tracks. The sound, the aesthetics. This album deserves FAR more than it will get. There is not a single bad song on the album. Every song for me is a 10/10 (well Bad Karma is a 9/10 only cause I hate the annoying moans). Now GIVE ME a Night Crawling video with Billy and then get the biggest hit of your career with Angels Like You, Miley!!!!!!

Spoiler

#1  |  Imploding the Mirage - The Killers

Imploding_the_Mirage.jpg

The surprise of the year. Period. I enjoy a bunch of The Killers music and Brandon's The Desired Effect is one of my all-time fave albums. This took me by surprise as it wasn't even on my radar but from first listen I knew it was going to be a favorite. I discovered it pretty late, in November but it completely blew me away. The HUGE instrumentals and vocals and the lyrics on some of the tracks. The fucking melodies. It's an incredible album. It's quite "loud" but I LOVE that. I really miss the loud/noisy music of 2011/2012 (think Born This Way and Ceremonials) and I feel some of that in this, just in a 2020 package. If you have not given this album a listen PLEASE do.

- Top 20 Songs of 2020 -

Spoiler

#20  |  If This Is Goodbye - Paloma Faith

Paloma's recent album, while really solid, just doesn't hook me like her others. This song though feels like classic Paloma Faith to me. 10/10.

Spoiler

#19  |  Love Again - Dua Lipa

Miss Dua really served me the ABBA realness I love with this bop. Now give me a damn music video for it bitch.

Spoiler

#18  |  Paralyzed - Delta Goodrem

I'm not a massive Delta stan as I find her albums largely full of filler. This track though stood out to me. I love the progression and it's a really beautiful song imo.

Spoiler

#17  |  the lakes - Taylor Swift

This bitch really made THIS a bonus track.

"I want auroras and sad prose / I want to watch wisteria grow right over my bare feet / cause I haven't moved in years / and I want your right here / a red rose grew up out of ice frozen ground / with no one around to tweet it / while I bathe in cliffside pools / with my calamitous love and insurmountable grief"

Enough said.

Spoiler

#16  |  Miss a Thing - Kylie Minogue 

Absolutely divine. Kylie at her best.

Spoiler

#15  |  Physical - Dua Lipa

TBH this restored my faith in pop music. This was such a blast of fresh air when it dropped and it still gets me going just like it did then. 

Spoiler

#14  |  Faith - The Weeknd

This song is a masterpiece. Those deep post-choruses the fucking incredible outro with the sirens. The way it just melts into Blinding Lights. Perfection. Really would love a video for this.

Spoiler

#13  |  Joan of Arc on the Dance Floor - Aly & AJ

This is so fucking great. I loved it when it leaked and could not wait for the official release. Wish covid hadn't happened and we could have gotten a better video for it though.

Spoiler

#12  |  Rain on Me - Lady Gaga (feat. Ariana Grande)

The song that restored my faith that Gaga hadn't completely lost her touch.

Spoiler

#11  |  My Own Soul's Warning - The Killers

The instrumental sections alone make this song Top 10 worthy. I love the lyrics and melody of this track so much. Really great song. Amazing album opener.

Spoiler

#10  |  exile - Taylor Swift

This bitch really paid this SMASH dust and didn't give us a fucking video. I hate her sometimes.

Spoiler

#9  |  Save Your Tears - The Weeknd

It's not his most experimental by any stretch but FUCK it's an impeccable pop song.

Spoiler

#8  |  Caution - The Killers

The intro, the verse melodies the explosive chorus, the instrumental. Perfection.

Spoiler

#7  |  Sine From Above - Lady Gaga (feat. Elton John)

I can't even explain how emotional this song made me on my first Chromatica listen. It doesn't sound anything like BTW (the album) but just something about made me feel like the Gaga that made that record is still here and I was so overwhelmed emotionally. The drop in this song is amazing. The lyrics, Elton's fucking vocals and delivery. I even grew to love that psychotic outro.

Spoiler

#6  |  Fingers Crossed - Agnes

The video is probably my favorite from this year and the song is incredible. Her album is definitely my most anticipated for 2021 as everything she's served in 2019/2020 has been absolutely incredible.

Spoiler

#5  |  Nothing Can Compare - Agnes

Now this track is technically from 2019 but I discovered it in 2020 as I had no idea Agnes even was putting out music again and it completely blew me away. It's so slick and well done. From the 2:30 mark on, it just obliterates me. The instrumental there is just divine.

Spoiler

#4  |  Say Something - Kylie Minogue

I have stood by this song since it's initial release and I stand firm in my belief that it will go down as one of the best singles in Kylie's discography. It's such a good track. It makes you feel so good. And the Infinite Disco version is even better. She killed it with this. PERFECT way to start the album/era.

Spoiler

#3  |  Angels Like You - Miley Cyrus

This song is just begging to be a 10 week, #1 smash. And that's what it deserves. An absolute masterpiece. Top tier in her discography. Honestly, it's probably her best song ever. I mean the bridge into the final chorus alone is worthy of 10 weeks at #1.

Spoiler

#2  |  My God - The Killers (feat. Weyes Blood)

I can't even describe how much I love this song. It's so uplifting and my god (pun not intended rip4) that chorus is so fucking catchy. I had no idea what a Weyes Blood collab would sound like but my god (intentional this time gaycat1 ) it's incredible. Natalie's bridge into that final chorus is one of the best moments in music in 2020. It's impossible not to sing along to this and it just makes you MOVE. Amazing track. The twinkling in the instrumental, the drums during the chorus, the guitars. Everything about this is just divine.

Spoiler

#1  |  Night Crawling - Miley Cyrus (feat. Billy Idol)

The way I just fell in love with this when it leaked. It completely satisfied my love for the 80s revival as well as my current obsession with older music (current music hasn't been as satisfying). Add Billy's fucking incredible delivery. It's just a phenomenal track. On headphones the way it pounds into your head. Then dd Billy's screams and Miley's growls and it's just a fucking experience. Pure adrenaline.

1 minute ago, Urbi said:

The Killers album is really good 

It really is. Their last album didn't do much for me at all so this completely went under my radar. Really the only reason I listened was I was listening to Titanic Rising on Spotify and saw she was featured through recommendations rip4 

1 minute ago, SeekingThrill said:

The Killers at no.1.   gaga13 

I didn't expect it. eve1 

I didn't expect it either but they deserve it gaga13

This gif is me listening to My God gaga13

1 minute ago, CHANEL #1 said:

1. Their last album didn't do much for me at all so this completely went under my radar. 

2. This gif is me listening to My God gaga13

1. You didn't like Wonderful Wonderful? orly1  It is my favorite. I think Wonderful Wonderful and Imploding the Mirage were influenced by The Desired Effect. 

The Killers music has always been inspired by the 80s music, but I think they went further with it on the last two albums thanks to The Desired Effect.

2. The best song on the album. true1 

4 minutes ago, SeekingThrill said:

1. You didn't like Wonderful Wonderful? orly1  It is my favorite. I think Wonderful Wonderful and Imploding the Mirage were influenced by The Desired Effect. 

The Killers music has always been inspired by the 80s music, but I think they went further with it on the last two albums thanks to The Desired Effect.

2. The best song on the album. true1 

No I didn't really care for it. And I don't know why it won't  click for me cause I can hear the influence of TDE. But yeah, I'm really glad they pushed the 80s influence more cause it really worked out so well whit2

1 hour ago, SeekingThrill said:

If This Is Goodbye. oprah15  I liked a couple of songs on Paloma's new album and this song is one of them. true1 

It's definitely a solid album. It just lacks some of the charm of her past albums for me. If This Is Goodbye is a really great song though. I'm hoping it'll get single treatment at some point.

30 minutes ago, CHANEL #1 said:

Perched for her to serve another 1-2, possibly more, punch in 2021 when she finally drops ha album oprah15

her album has to be amazing if the Nothing Can Compare ep is anything to go by oprah15

the lakes, epiphany, Paralyzed - a great list clap3

Also it's nice to see king Harry on your album list. Eventhough the album was released in 2019, it's definitely one of my favorites this year as well. Probably also the most played. clap3

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.