Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Andres

REYCISM: Andres's Top Albums of 2020

IvKsKL1.png?1

Z2cpipZ.png

This year was... something! You don't need me to lecture on why (because it's pretty obvious!) so let's focus on one thing most people can probably agree was great about this year, the music. The amount of excellent releases this year... simply overwhelming in both size and scope! I've managed to whittle down my top 15 albums, which I will reveal in no particular order (though I will be saving the releases that had the greatest impact on my year for the end). So... yeah! Enjoy jj1

https://i.imgur.com/ciAzy3V.jpg

Kali Uchis - Sin Miedo (del amor y otros demonios)

Highlights: "//aguardiente y Limón %ᵕ‿‿ᵕ%", "telepatía", "no eres tu (soy yo)", "de nadie"

It's no secret that Kali Uchis's debut album is a bit of a not-so-cult classic among members of the Reycism clique. While her sophomore record, sung almost entirely in Spanish. may not quite live up to the greatness of her debut, it's still a fantastic record in its own right, one that allows Kali to flex her versatility. Sin Miedo glides gracefully across the current trends of the Latin genre with a stylish and wholly unique flair.

5 minutes ago, Andres said:

fiXed! jj2 remember that this is very phoned in jj2 jj4

ALSO very that jj4 I always have my writeups prepared but now I've been just writing them as I go I- jj4 anyways stan Kali and I suspect I know what to expect for your next entries lmao

2nM7YzP.jpg

Caribou - Suddenly

Highlights: "You and I," "Lime," "Never Come Back," "Cloud Song"
I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did! A hypnotic blend of introspective electronica that constantly excites and surprises, this is an album that rewards repeated listens. There's so much detail, so many different musical textures and genres at work here. Yet nothing here feels overwhelming, this is music that is somehow both meticulous and effortless.

KkLNUZ7.jpg

Chloe x Halle - Ungodly Hour

Highlights: "Baby Girl," "Do It," "Ungodly Hour"
Here's an album that grew on me a lot! Ungodly Hour is simply an enjoyable album from start to finish, with just enough experimentation to keep things interesting throughout. And yet, nothing here overstays its welcome. It's a sleek slice of R&B characterized by intricate production and strikingly catchy melodies.

https://i.imgur.com/IjuecG4.jpg

Kelly Lee Owens - Inner Song

Highlights: "Jeanette", "Night", "Flow". "Wake-Up"
I've been following Kelly Lee Owens since she released her Oleic EP back in 2016. It was welcome, though not surprising, to discover that she completely avoided the dreaded sophomore slump and delivered with a fantastic LP that builds upon everything that made her debut great. This is gorgeous, atmospheric trance music built for late night introspection. Electronica at its very finest and most creative, Inner Song is dreamy yet melodic, distant yet intimate, otherworldly and yet decidedly human.

https://i.imgur.com/DuUERMV.jpg

Tame Impala - The Slow Rush

Highlights: "Borderline", "Breathe Deeper", "Lost in Yesterday", "It Might Be Time"
Tame Impala needs no introduction for most. The Slow Rush is, to the great un-surprise of anyone following the band's trajectory, their (his?) poppiest release to date. With its glimmering synths, crisp production, and meditative lyrics, the album more than lives up to the promise of its name. Come for the impeccable grooves and earworm melodies, and stay for the wistful melancholia.

https://i.imgur.com/5lMbzz8.jpg

Rico Nasty - Nightmare Vacation

Highlights: "Don't Like Me", "iPhone", "Back & Forth". "Own It"
This is a release that I was not expecting to enjoy as much as I did! Rico Nasty has made a name for herself as one of rap's most audacious rappers, and her debut album doesn't dramatically steer from her past work. Though that's far from a bad thing, Nightmare Vacation is just... a lot of fun! It's banger on banger on banger, with enough wit and in-your-face ferocity to keep the momentum going throughout.

13 minutes ago, Andres said:

https://i.imgur.com/DuUERMV.jpg

Tame Impala - The Slow Rush

shocked at this! almost forgot it came out actually dead4 I lub Breathe Deeper but I forgot how must of the album went ngl...

Just now, Andres said:

http://is5.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music114/v4/aa/fd/ff/aafdff0f-781c-368e-bc7d-f4b3030b85b3/source/100000x100000-999.jpg

Rico Nasty - Nightmare Vacation

link broken but VERY THAT! Rico became one of my obsessions this year and thank god NV didn't disappoint jj2dead4 

Just now, Hunty Bear said:

shocked at this! almost forgot it came out actually dead4 I lub Breathe Deeper but I forgot how must of the album went ngl...

link broken but VERY THAT! Rico became one of my obsessions this year and thank god NV didn't disappoint jj2dead4 

I keep forgetting to reup the covers to Imgur dead2 orangu1 but yeah I feel Slow Rush definitely got lost in all the other gr8 releases this year jj4 It's aged p well though!

pJHzPkp.jpg
Róisín Murphy - Róisín Machine

Highlights: "Simulation", "Something More", "Incapable"
2020 was the year of the disco revival, and no release more authentically, lovingly, and shamelessly captures the essence of the late night dance-floor like Róisín Murphy's Róisín Machine. It's almost a full hour of sensual electropop anthems that build and build in blissful, hypnotic passion. It may not be an album for the impatient listener, but these are songs that will seduce you if you let them.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.