Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Andres

REYCISM: Andres's Top Albums of 2020

o3Ttpuc.jpg

Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts

Highlights: "WTF Do I Know", "Plastic Hearts", "Prisoner", "Gimme What I Want", "Hate Me"
A full-on rock album from Miley Cyrus could've easily been a complete dud, a shameless bit of pandering meant to prove something that didn't need to be proven. Thankfully, Plastic Hearts is anything but. It's a fun, glamorous, authentic romp that positively oozes style and confidence in every second. It's Miley at her best, unapologetic, vulnerable, and unconcerned with what people might think.

sohAVhE.jpgQgrsPcg.jpg

Taylor Swift - folklore / evermore

Highlights: "cardigan", "seven", "august", "gold rush", "'tis the damn season", "coney island",  "evermore"
Grouping these two together because I really do feel as if they complement each other well! Taylor Swift's 2020 releases found her taking her biggest artistic strides ye, containing some of her tightest, most creative, and just overall best songwriting yet. At its best, she captures the universal feelings of rueful yearning in ways that grip and haunt. I may not have fallen head over heels for these records as some have, but even I can recognize the pure magic these songs can bring in the right mood.

41 minutes ago, Andres said:

just wait until I post a certain album and a certain other album brit9nicki4

I'm actually at peace with both choices? (if I'm assuming correctly) brit9 regardless, your WYP?, Lianne La Havas, and SAWAYAMA (?) writeups will be enough compensation

t5swrQ9.jpg
Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA

Highlights: "XS", "STFU!", "Love Me 4 Me". "Bad Friend", "Tokyo Love Hotel"

This album has become a bit of a cult classic and for very good reason! SAWAYAMA incorporates so many different musical styles and genres and does so with all the personal style, confidence and flair of a seasoned artist. It's far and away the most exciting debut album of 2020, a Y2K throwback that bridges the old and the new with effortless precision.

18 hours ago, Hunty Bear said:

I'm actually at peace with both choices? (if I'm assuming correctly) brit9 regardless, your WYP?, Lianne La Havas, and SAWAYAMA (?) writeups will be enough compensation

calling them writeups is generous but ty! brit9

gcIVzM2.jpg

Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas

Highlights: "Bittersweet", "Read My Mind", "Please Don't Make Me Cry", "Sour Flower"
The followup to 2015's immaculate Blood, Lianne La Havas's self-titled record is everything fans of the English singer had hoped it would be. It's a dreamy, breezy escape into a soulful soundscape of longing and emotion. While this album may be a soundtrack for those hazy summer days/nights that seem to implant themselves into your subconscious for no particular reason, there is so much here to be appreciated by more attentive listeners.

5EcwIGg.jpg

Ellie Goulding - Brightest Blue

Highlights: "Power", "How Deep Is Too Deep", "New Heights", "Flux", "Brightest Blue"

An album five years in the making and marked by countless delays and greedy label antics, it's frankly a miracle that Brightest Blue (the original 13 tracks at least) is as good as it is. It's a return to form for Mrs. Goulding, whose unmistakable voice inhabits these soaring soundscapes with rapturous self-assurance. Beyond the lush, layered production that incorporates pop, R&B and electronic elements, there is a personal catharsis of self-growth and womanhood, years in the making.

1 minute ago, Andres said:

tbh I honestly forgot about it, I can't remember if it's even good or bad but it's Ellie so ofc I'm gonna do what I do jj2 ellie1

Just now, Andres said:

just gonna try to finish to not bring this into 2021! top 3 should be p obvious jj2

Smile, Manic, and Rare ❤ or did Mel*nie drop an album this year?

9d6K1SZ.jpg

Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?

Highlights: "Spotlight", "What's Your Pleasure", "Soul Control", "Read My Lips", "Mirage (Don't Stop)", "Remember Where You Are"

This is probably, objectively, the album of the year and by far one of the most... sensual albums I've ever had the pleasure of listen to. Electronic music has always had a reputation for being very robotic, almost completely disconnected from human emotion. What's Your Pleasure? is anything but. This is soulful, passionate music for those hazy late nights where it feels as though anything could happen. There's a certain... magnetism in these songs, almost magic. From playfully seductive dance-floor fillers to the stirring, cinematic gravitas of the album's closer, this is an album meant to invoke feeling. Which feeling? Take your pick.

14 minutes ago, Hunty Bear said:

tbh I honestly forgot about it, I can't remember if it's even good or bad but it's Ellie so ofc I'm gonna do what I do jj2 ellie1

Smile, Manic, and Rare ❤ or did Mel*nie drop an album this year?

omg spoiler but you forgot Changes! jj4 ellie1

4 minutes ago, Andres said:

http://is5.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music114/v4/e2/7c/30/e27c30d2-aaff-0f68-c0a6-2aacca057e28/source/100000x100000-999.jpg

Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure?

YAS (link broken yet again) BUT YAS alex1 I've been deliberating if SAWAYAMA or What's Your Pleasure? is my AOTY but atm I'm leaning towards WYP?, truly a masterpiece and such a random and sudden leap in quality from her past two records lmao 

2 minutes ago, Andres said:

omg spoiler but you forgot Changes! jj4 ellie1

tell me why...I literally did ellie1 dead2 Yummy SOTY

s0XWRJc.jpg

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

Highlights: "Don't Start Now", "Cool", "Physical",  "Levitating"

She really did that! After being counted out as just another industry plant making quick little singles for H&M dressing rooms (by me ngl!), Dua Lipa returned with an full album of impeccable pop anthems. More future than nostalgia, this is far more than just a lazy throwback. These are euphoric pop BANGERS, an all killer no filler bit of infectious pop perfection from a singer no one can count out or ignore any longer.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.