Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Vinyl outsell CDs for the first time since 80s; all time high

Last week, the United States sold the most amount of vinyl records in history in a single week.

The pre-Christmas rush saw nearly 2 million LPs sold across the country.

As Billboard reports, 1.842 million vinyl LPs were purchased in the US in the week leading up to Christmas, which ended on December 24.

It broke the record set just one week before (December 10-17), where 1.445 million were sold. The new record is the biggest weekly sales of vinyl in the country since records began in 1991.

Meanwhile in the UK, sales of vinyl look set to hit a new three-decade high as fans appear to be using their time in lockdown to top up their record collections.

Music fans in the US purchased more vinyl records than CDs in the first half of 2020, marking the first time since the 1980s that CDs were not the top selling physical format.

According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), vinyls contributed a staggering $232 million (£181 million) to total physical sales of $376 million in the first half of 2020.

While the coronavirus pandemic saw music sales being slightly impacted by the closure of record stores and venues, the music industry still experienced a degree of growth in Q1/Q2.

X and x

1 hour ago, Miss Show Business said:

I've actually read this isn't accurate. CDs are sold for much cheaper (usually $12 for a CD compared to $21 and more for new vinyl), so while vinyl sales are have outsold CDs, we aren't purchasing more vinyl than CDs yet. 

If the numbers are there though prove me wrong!

Good point, I can't believe people actually pay £££ for brand new copies of Rumours when you get them for 50p at any charity shop nicki5

1 hour ago, LÉON said:

Good point, I can't believe people actually pay £££ for brand new copies of Rumours when you get them for 50p at any charity shop nicki5

Mte. If it was mass released on vinyl pre 90s, you can find great copies for dirt cheap in flea markets and thrift stores that carry vinyl nicki5

12 minutes ago, Miss Show Business said:

Mte. If it was mass released on vinyl pre 90s, you can find great copies for dirt cheap in flea markets and thrift stores that carry vinyl nicki5

nicki5 Or even eBay, but I guess that's capitalism jj2 Even supermarkets carry a record section now, along with one for CDs.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.