Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Ruthless Love

SZA Has Moved On From 2018 Grammys Shutout: 'It's an Old Energy to Me'

SZA-2020-vanity-fair-red-carpet-billboard-1548-1609875145-compressed.jpg

SZA shines as the golden cover star on the February 2021 issue of Cosmopolitan, and in the cover story, she addresses her 2018 Grammys shutout and why it's "old energy."

Three years ago, SZA (real name Solána Imani Rowe) was up for five Grammys, including best new artist. Alessia Cara won that year, which some SZA fans took issue with, but the "Hit Different" singer was a good sport and came to Cara's defense with a lengthy Instagram post, writing, "...she deserves every accolade that she gets. And people can’t be mad."

But just like the title of her memorable debut album Ctrl, which opened at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 in 2017, SZA remains in control of her emotions.

"I’m just a girl from the ’burbs. I never had dreams of being nominated for a Grammy," she tells Cosmo. "I thought I was going to be a gymnast and a f---ing business accountant somewhere. Or working at Nike corporate or some shit in Portland. Who knows, but something that involved a power suit. So it’s not a heavy burden. Once you’ve been nominated and lost, you’re very much free because you’re not concerned. I passed that threshold years ago -- it’s an old energy to me. Why would I be mad?"

SZA received four more Grammy nominations the following year, all for "All the Stars," her hit collab with Kendrick Lamar. But she was again shut out.

x

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.