Archived

This thread has been closed to further replies because it was not updated for 12 months. If you wish to have this thread reinstated, please contact an administrator.

Simón.

Tracey Chapman wins lawsuit against Nicki Minaj

GettyImages-465085799-H-2020-1604422027-928x523.jpg

Avoiding trial, Minaj makes an offer for illicitly using "Baby Can I Hold You," and Chapman accepts it.

The cost of taking another songwriter's work without permission and illicitly leaking a remade version is $450,000. That's what Nicki Minaj will be paying Tracy Chapman to satisfy her copyright infringement claims over "Sorry," a derivative of "Baby Can I Hold You."

On Thursday, documents became public in California federal court reflecting the fact that Chapman had accepted Minaj's offer of judgment. As a result, the two will not proceed to a trial later this year. By accepting Minaj's offer, Chapman not only scores a win in the case and $450,000, the esteemed singer also avoids being responsible for costs had a jury eventually decided her claims weren't worth that amount.

Chapman filed the case back in Oct. 2018. The suit came a couple months after Minaj had released her album, Queen. While "Sorry," a collaboration with Nas, wasn't on the album, Minaj allegedly laked the song to Funkmaster Flex, a popular radio DJ, and the song then traveled on the internet.

x

2 minutes ago, Ruthless Love said:

clapping GIF by Steve Harvey TV

YOU GO TRACEY!

Tbh I think she is doing too much rip3 I also would like to know why exaclty she does not want to be sampled, especially when years ago a trashy fast car remix was released 

25 minutes ago, Simón. said:

Tbh I think she is doing too much rip3 I also would like to know why exaclty she does not want to be sampled, especially when years ago a trashy fast car remix was released 

Maybe she just hates Nicki ari7

I disagree with all of you completely! The song's unreleased, Nicki wanted to put it on the album and Tracey said no, and it never came out! Doing this whole lawsuit just makes Tracey look desperate, petty, and selfish.

14 minutes ago, Venom said:

I disagree with all of you completely! The song's unreleased, Nicki wanted to put it on the album and Tracey said no, and it never came out! Doing this whole lawsuit just makes Tracey look desperate, petty, and selfish.

Kinda agree, cause Nicki didn’t get any profit from the leak

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Browsing now   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.